Hi i know someone must have asked this question somwhere but i cant seem to find a definite answer. Jus wanna know if i can use bbm while i,m abroad. Enlighten this ignorant boy pls! I,m using a blackberry bold on 3 Uk.
    03-20-10 05:35 AM
    If you use it you will be charged for international data. Depending on how much you BBM it could be very expensive, check with your carrier to see what they provide.
    03-20-10 05:39 AM
    BBM is international and is data based rather than SMS based so please do be careful of your monthly bill. Roaming charges can be very expensive.

If possible you can hook yourself up via wi-fi and turn off the mobile network connection just to be sure and you should avoid the roaming charges as you won't be using a non-home network to transmit your data.

I notice you're using 3 as your mobile network so as they don't support UMA for calls this work around will only work for data. Any calls made abroad would have to pass through a non-home network so you would be charged the extremely high roaming rates for your calls.

If you're just interested in using BBM then connect up via wi-fi and turn off the mobile network connection.

It might be worth just confirming this with your mobile network as unfortunately you won't see if you've been charged on your monthly bill until after you could have already potentially racked up a huge bill but turning off the mobile network should prevent this.
    03-20-10 08:12 AM
    Hi i know someone must have asked this question somwhere but i cant seem to find a definite answer. Jus wanna know if i can use bbm while i,m abroad. Enlighten this ignorant boy pls! I,m using a blackberry bold on 3 Uk.
    You need to make sure you have international roaming enabled on your account, and check BlackBerry service and roaming agreements exist for wherever you are travelling. There are not many countries without data service, but a few... and in many parts of the world rural areas are voice only.

As far as cost goes, for data within EC there are statutory cost limits but for the rest of the world the rate is potentially unlimited. However it is generally much cheaper to use BBM or email rather than voice calls for the same communication. If you can avoid attachments you get a lot of words for your money.
    03-20-10 08:30 AM
    I use bbm in taiwan using UMA and it never charged me with anything. if you have t-mo just use UMA for bbm and you won't get charged.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD