Hi all,

hopefully somebody can help me.
    Im currently in australia on a vodafone monthly plan with unlimited data, etc.
    I am going to USA late next week and i only really need my phone to make emergency phone calls back to australia and text.
    My primary source of contact is with BBM. i need to contact ppl in USA via BBM.

Does this get charged the astronmical global roaming charges everytime you send or recieve?
    Should i turn off my email and facebook etc as i do not need access to this whilst in USA?
    OR...
    is there a prepaid option in USA that will enable me to BBM and call within USA that i can use on my existing blackberry 9780? Do i need to make sure my phone is unlocked?

Pretty dumb with this so any help is much appreciated. i basically need to know the cheapest and easiest way to use and have BBM.
    02-26-11 05:23 AM
    Call your provider about a US roaming package for data

If you are only using bbm. You can make due with 1MB-2MB per day.

You would have to unlock the phone, and transfer your pin to the carrier if you did find a prepaid package in the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-11 08:13 AM
    I think T-Mobile might offer prepaid BIS. It's EDGE only but I mean it would work. You could try AT&T too. It would be worth it and you could pretty much call or text anyone here for only your plan minutes. As far as calling back home, I don't know about that.
    02-26-11 01:42 PM
    The other thing to look at is accessing wifi (did the 9000 have wifi?). You should be able to communicate via BBM and email over wifi. There may be wifi hotpots around that you can use to help reduce roaming data usage.
    02-26-11 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD