11-17-09 08:35 AM
88 ... 234
tools
    RIM needs to pull this thing quickly. I have an 8900 with the stock tmobile OS, and now I have to reload it all. BES will get my data all back, but I will still need to reload my apps. What a pain. I wish I had read more about this before I tried installing it.
    10-08-09 08:47 PM
    "Yes you've lost your data. I had this issue last week (but not over BBM) and basically if the phone is able to "connect to" your phone during the install then a backup may be made and then restored."

Can you please explain? How do you see if the "phone is able to connect to the phone"? I'd like to remove the BBM install which apparently caused the problem and see whether I can reboot to the old system (and all my data). Will that work?
    When you do a reinstall or upgrade of the BB OS the DM backs up all of the apps and database before wipeing the device. If the DM is unable to connect to the database it can't back it up and the data is lost.

It will work if you can connect to the database but I suspect you are out of luck.
    10-08-09 08:50 PM
    4.7 on the tour is a buggy POS. I must have gotten 10-12 552 errors when installing software on it. Worst part is sometimes an app works fine, then next time you install it, it craps out the phone and usually you have to reload the software. Some times you can use DM on windows and remove the last app you installed and it will fix the issue. Other times reload the OS.

I finally solved the issue but getting rid of the tour.

The 5.0 software doesn't have this problem.
    I'm in the same boat. I've had a Tour since the third week or July or so and I kid you not I've reinstalled the OS at least 15 times and even had the handset replaced. I've been running 5.0.0.280 for two days and it rocks. There is no looking back for me now.

The only thing that I really lost out on are AppWorld and Application Center working along with a couple minor apps like MyVerizon not working. The current leaked BETA 5.0 OS is more stable on it's worst day than the 4.7.1 on it's best.
    10-08-09 08:55 PM
    I had the "reload software 552" error also, switched back to my curve so I can have a phone for the day. I will be trying some of the suggestions here after work, hope I can get it restored because if I have to go through my insurance plan on the phone they give me a refurbished one I will be pretty ticked if I end up having my 2 month old phone replaced with a refurbished one because of software released by the phone manufacturer! Especially since I got what seems to be one of the few tours with no trackball or screen issues! Everyone wish me luck I hope I can get mine restored! Crossing my fingers. Thanks for posting all these suggestions, I did try to go in and delete BBM5 yesterday but did not know about taking out the battery so it never reconnected with the phone. Hope I didn't make it worse! I am fine with reloading the OS and having to put everything back on as long as I don't end up with a refurb!
    You shouldn't need to get the phone replaced over this. Follow the instructions in this thread to reinstall the OS. For best results you may want to wipe it using J_Cmdr or CracMem but either way you should not need to replace the phone and even if you did it's an warranty replacement so it costs you nothing.
    10-08-09 09:11 PM
    the same exact thing happened to me! I downloaded the new BBM frm App World and my phone is now SOL! This is ridiculous, downloading an app from RIM shouldn't do this! Hopefully, I can keep all my contacts, calendar appointments, messages cause I really need them!! Sigh
    Don't go through AppWorld next time. Install via blackberry.com/messenger/
    10-08-09 09:14 PM
    I am in the process of trying to remove BBM 5.0 and revert back to the previous version via the desktop manager. Hopefully that will work and I won't have to reload the OS. Has anyone had this work?
    10-09-09 04:06 AM
    I am in the process of trying to remove BBM 5.0 and revert back to the previous version via the desktop manager. Hopefully that will work and I won't have to reload the OS. Has anyone had this work?
    I'm trying the same thing now. WTF. It does **** me off.
    10-10-09 11:19 AM
    Enough is enough. One last 552 i got today marks the day i ditch the stupid Blackberry that i have been using since 2005. Sick and fedup of this 552 Reload Software RUBBISH on my Bold or Tour.

F*** YOU RIM!
    11-05-09 10:14 AM
    how can they be telling us to upgrade to 5.0-only apps when they havent even officially released it for our phones?

552 victim here.. wtf?
    11-11-09 07:39 PM
    how can they be telling us to upgrade to 5.0-only apps when they havent even officially released it for our phones?

552 victim here.. wtf?
    Not sure who told you that but either way all of RIM's own apps (IM, social networking, BBM, etc.) are 5.0 capable now. Just upgrade to the most current of everything.

My advice to you is to ditch the 4.7.1.xx os that came with the phone and upgrade to 5.0.0.230 and DON'T LOOK BACK. It may be beta but it's more stable than the 4.7.1.xx branch any day of the week. Block the horrible original OS from your memory I did.
    11-11-09 10:33 PM
    Well I finally upgraded to the BBM 5.0 and after doing roughly 4 battery pulls and NOT opening it with Quicklaunch.. it seems to be working, I'm running .57 OS btw. I was ready to downgrade via DM and hopefully get my old version of BBM back. Guess I will try this for awhile.. any more 'freezes' and she is back to the original. Don't want to do the beta OS .230,, Tour is running too smoothly to take any chances on pi$$ing it up!
    11-15-09 02:04 PM
    Yes you've lost your data. I had this issue last week (but not over BBM) and basically if the phone is able to "connect to" your phone during the install then a backup may be made and then restored. If not then you have lost your data, but can restore from your most recent backup if you have one.

I had the problem over and over and over again and finally what fixed it was a wipe of the phone and a fresh reinstall WITHOUT restoring my backup file. Not sure why that was the problem but apparently something was stored inthe DB that was causing or at least contributing to the problem.
    I'm almost ready to start pulling my hair out after getting recurrent "reload software 552" I'm tech savy enough to reload OS to un-brick the phone, but doing this 3x a week and then restoring all apps from scratch is driving me up the wall. First time this happened after installing AIM of all things... but then with random reboot... or random (third party) game, on 2 different OS 4.6.315 and official carrier .2xx on my 8900; so I came to the same conclusion, that there's already something corrupted in the backup file... The last time I only restored address book, calendar, wifi and profile settings, and notepad/tasks... we'll see how it goes. I wish someone could figure out the culprit; it is so friggin annoying I'm afraid to install any apps/themes now.
    11-16-09 11:20 PM
    MY.02 ....

due to all issues that i have read and experienced, here are the steps that i have taken and seem to work for me.
    1. back up using DM
    2. completly wipe device using BBSAK
    3. download new OS and delete vendor file
    4. install new OS
    5. sync only the contacts from DM
    6. go to bb browser and downlaod appworld from mobile.blackberry.com
    7. downlaod all my apps from new downloadded AW

its more of a PITA but seems to be working so far.

whenever you are loading something to your phone its obviously reading your phones info and if osmething isnt right flags will go up and things start crapping out.

pm me if you need any help and ill do my best to help out.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT BY ANY MEANS JUST TRYING TO HELP WITH WHAT WORKS FOR ME ... SO LIKE ISAID BEFORE JUST MY .02
    11-17-09 08:35 AM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD