11-17-09 08:35 AM
88 1234
tools
    The only thing I needed to do was reactivate and reconfigure QuickLaunch.
    You can backup and restore Quick Launch from within the app itself. The backup goes to the SD Card.
    10-08-09 08:48 AM
    4.7 on the tour is a buggy POS. I must have gotten 10-12 552 errors when installing software on it. Worst part is sometimes an app works fine, then next time you install it, it craps out the phone and usually you have to reload the software. Some times you can use DM on windows and remove the last app you installed and it will fix the issue. Other times reload the OS.

I finally solved the issue but getting rid of the tour.

The 5.0 software doesn't have this problem.
    10-08-09 08:54 AM
    You can backup and restore Quick Launch from within the app itself. The backup goes to the SD Card.
    Thanks. I knew that, but forgot.
    10-08-09 08:55 AM
    Finally got my phone up and running... now just reinstalling apps and all that.

What a pain in the rear. If RIM really wants to compete in the consumer world, they can't be releasing "updates" that BRICK their phones. It's not like I was running anything unofficial - I was running the official Verizon OS and the official BBM previously.

Not happy with RIM right now... with Verizon now teaming up with Google to put out Android phones on Big Red, RIM is going to have to step up their game if they want to compete.
    10-08-09 09:14 AM
    I was running 4.6.231 on my 8900.

I tried installing BBM 5. My phone is now bricked.

I am trying to unbrick it using the procedure in Blackberry 101.

That procedure is not working for me.

My phone is completely messed up.

Please, in following that procedure, where it tells you to look for COM1, I don't have COM1 listed! And I hit the next button fast when the USB:PIN-UNKNOWN flashes, and it seems to get to the next step. But each time, it fails because it cannot connect to my phone.

I am seriously frustrated by this, and I am trying to follow the instructions.

What options do I have now?

Update: Tried the procedure again with the battery pulled at the point where you see USB:PIN-UNKNOWN. Restored the battery after hitting Next quickly, and now it seems to be talking to the phone and loading the software back.

Honestly, whatever caused this to happen, I am staying away from BBM 5 for the time being, or at least until my carrier pushes 5.0 device software out to the masses.
    Last edited by eklisiewicz; 10-08-09 at 09:36 AM.
    10-08-09 09:27 AM
    *@#&*(@#78@#&*@# SO MUCH BS.

just got this problem trying to install BBM5 on my os 4.7.1.53
    grrrr

ridiculous.
    10-08-09 09:28 AM
    I was running 4.6.231 on my 8900.

I tried installing BBM 5. My phone is now bricked.

I am trying to unbrick it using the procedure in Blackberry 101.

That procedure is not working for me.

My phone is completely messed up.

Please, in following that procedure, where it tells you to look for COM1, I don't have COM1 listed! And I hit the next button fast when the USB:PIN-UNKNOWN flashes, and it seems to get to the next step. But each time, it fails because it cannot connect to my phone.

I am seriously frustrated by this, and I am trying to follow the instructions.

What options do I have now?
    Here's what I did to get my phone back up and running:

1) Download the OS version you want and install it.
    2) Start Desktop Manager.
    3) REMOVE THE PHONE'S BATTERY and plug in the phone.
    4) Go to Application Loader, then "Update" (I think that's what it is) and select the OS in the list (should say "Preferred" next to it).
    5) When you get to the screen to select what programs you want installed with the OS, insert the battery right before you click Finish.
    6) Once you click Finish, it should go through the motions and re-install the OS.
    10-08-09 09:31 AM
    My third party applications are all missing! I sincerely hope that I can get them back. They are not appearing in the App loader and did not appear in the list of applications to reinstall.

My themes are also gone.

My device is working again, but now I am forced to reinstall every application and try to remember everything I had on my handset.
    Last edited by eklisiewicz; 10-08-09 at 09:56 AM.
    10-08-09 09:48 AM
    Same thing happened to me on my 8900 when I tried from app world. When I restored my bb, I went to the download link on my bb browser, and that worked out better for me.

Anyone have any issues going from 5.0.0.8 on an 83xx to 5.0.0.33? I have one of those too on the leaked bbm 5, but I want to make sure that if I install the official version I don't get a bricked BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 09:48 AM
    My third party applications are all missing! I sincerely hope that I can get them back. They are not appearing in the App loader and did not appear in the list of applications to reinstall.
    Sorry budddy... you gotta redownload them all. That's what sucks about doing a restore. I don't know why they don't backup apps too, because that would be helpful.
    10-08-09 09:54 AM

My themes are also gone.

My device is working again, but now I am forced to reinstall every application and try to remember everything I had on my handset.
    App Loader saved all of my 3rd Party Apps (including themes). It was not able to backup device data. Luckily, I had a fairly recent backup that I was able to use to restore my contacts, calendar and system settings. I remember there being a message about not being able to access the device data and when I pressed "ignore" it skipped over trying to backup the data and went straight to backing up the 3rd party apps.

I've learned my lesson and I will never use BlackBerry AppWorld ever again!
    10-08-09 10:07 AM
    I had the same problem. I got the Reload Software:552. I had to reload my software.*You want to pull the battery. With it pulled plug your phone in to you computer with the desktop manager up, go to application loader, go to add software upgrade, it will tell you what available OS you have on your computer. Put the battery back in the phone, while it loads back up to the Error screen, go through the options for reloading the OS, once phone is back to the error Reload Software screen, then hit finish and load the software, you may get a message to back up date, unplug and plug phone back in and hit ok, or to ignore and continue hit ignore.*If you get OS failed, just go back to mail menu and do it again, dont restart phone again, leave as is, and it will work this time. this is what I had to do. New BBM is on phone after I did this.
    10-08-09 10:26 AM
    I had the same problem. I got the Reload Software:552. I had to reload my software.*You want to pull the battery. With it pulled plug your phone in to you computer with the desktop manager up, go to application loader, go to add software upgrade, it will tell you what available OS you have on your computer. Put the battery back in the phone, while it loads back up to the Error screen, go through the options for reloading the OS, once phone is back to the error Reload Software screen, then hit finish and load the software, you may get a message to back up date, unplug and plug phone back in and hit ok, or to ignore and continue hit ignore.*If you get OS failed, just go back to mail menu and do it again, dont restart phone again, leave as is, and it will work this time. this is what I had to do. New BBM is on phone after I did this.
    YES. That's the recovery route I went a long time ago when I got a 552 error. VZW tech stepped me through it and it worked fine.

Did ANYONE here get a 552 error under OS 5.0.0.230? It doesn't seem like it.
    10-08-09 10:49 AM
    I cannot believe how crap this has become. I loaded (or tried) to load BBM5. I saw no icon, so I do a reboot. Still no icon. So I thought lets remove BBM and reload it. During the removal process was where the device hung. After 30 mins I did another reboot. Then I got the "552" message now I have to reload everything.

I can see RIM being a company being left behind. Firstly the quality of their handsets is going down. I mean the build quality and their testing - re all the problems with the tour (screen and trackball, battery covers), I bet another new device launch has a bunch of issues.

Now I find out that the backup does very little for you. Even Windows Mobile doesn't get this hosed...
    10-08-09 11:23 AM
    I'm shocked how many devices have been bricked by downloading this, totally unacceptable
    10-08-09 11:33 AM
    Very unacceptable!!!!!!! Complete horsesh-it.

Today is MY LAST DAY of my initial 30day period since having bought the phone. I called Verizon & non of the reinstalls work of my OS after this error. So going to get it replaced after work. RIDICULOUS! I'm so mad right now
    I guess I should be lucky it didn't have tomorrow (b/c of my 30day period)
    10-08-09 11:56 AM
    Thanks so much RIM. Good job. I've had an iPhone for two years and never had it bricked!
    It actually is a great job, thanks RIM for the great work.
    10-08-09 12:01 PM
    It is very sad and unacceptable...

I just reloaded my device. I am on BES so all the core apps came back and are working....

I am missing all the games and docs to go.

My restore gave me nothing back all my third party apps are gone...

45 days into having a BB and I think I will never get one again. Bring on Google or Windows Mobile 7
    10-08-09 12:02 PM
    I had the "reload software 552" error also, switched back to my curve so I can have a phone for the day. I will be trying some of the suggestions here after work, hope I can get it restored because if I have to go through my insurance plan on the phone they give me a refurbished one I will be pretty ticked if I end up having my 2 month old phone replaced with a refurbished one because of software released by the phone manufacturer! Especially since I got what seems to be one of the few tours with no trackball or screen issues! Everyone wish me luck I hope I can get mine restored! Crossing my fingers. Thanks for posting all these suggestions, I did try to go in and delete BBM5 yesterday but did not know about taking out the battery so it never reconnected with the phone. Hope I didn't make it worse! I am fine with reloading the OS and having to put everything back on as long as I don't end up with a refurb!
    10-08-09 12:30 PM
    10-08-09 12:49 PM
    Thanks, I will have to check that out too, I really hope I can fix mine! That link did work for you though?
    10-08-09 02:38 PM
    My update: I tried a few times to do the "DIY" restore that is posted on this site but couldn't get the App Loader to show any options. So I brought it to a Verizon store this morning and one of the guys there was able to reset it. I wasn't worried about losing contacts or pictures because I have those backed up on my computer and the mini SD card.

But I lost all of my 3rd party apps (UberTwitter, Capture It, and a few others), so I've just gotta redownload those.

Now I'm skeptical about downloading the BBM update until this is completely resolved.
    10-08-09 03:56 PM
    I have resolved the issue !!

I had similar problem where my bbm icon disappeared, what i did is that i removed my old bbm manually and even the newer one so no bbm on my device then i re downloaded and it work!

and i even didnt lose my contact ...

Hope it works for you guys .
    10-08-09 04:11 PM
    I downloaded BBM 5.0 a few hours ago and all went well. It seems those who downloaded it last night when it was released had the most issues...
    10-08-09 04:13 PM
    the same exact thing happened to me! I downloaded the new BBM frm App World and my phone is now SOL! This is ridiculous, downloading an app from RIM shouldn't do this! Hopefully, I can keep all my contacts, calendar appointments, messages cause I really need them!! Sigh
    10-08-09 04:40 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD