11-17-09 07:35 AM
88 1234
tools
    Does this procedure basically reset the phone to default, or does it restore all your existing apps/settings?
    Not sure - never have done it. I just found this in the RIM tech data base on how to resolve the error. After you do it though, I am sure you can restore a back up for settings and such if they are not there. Not sure about 3rd party apps though
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-07-09 at 09:51 PM.
    10-07-09 09:46 PM
    Now I keep getting this error:

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.
    10-07-09 09:50 PM
    I downloaded through RIM's website rather than App World. For some reason I'm more likely to get that error installing apps through App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 09:52 PM
    Lost everything and the phone reboots itself every time I plug the USB data cable into my computer to attempt a restore! Are these the spontaneous reboots I've heard about with .230?
    10-07-09 10:02 PM
    Same thing happened to me. I'm running 4.6.1.298. Had to reload OS, so I'm here trying to restore my 3rd party apps.
    10-07-09 10:04 PM
    I had this problem as well. And since I have the Mac Desktop Manager and am running Snow Leopard, I have nothing to download that can fix the problem.

Why in the world is RIM releasing software that bricks their own phones?
    10-07-09 10:08 PM
    Bricked mine, too (OS 4.7.1.53). "Reload Software 552". In the final stages of loading v5.0.0.230 right now.

I take it I've lost all of my data? I couldn't find a recent backup, except for an App_Loader back-up from October 1st, but I don't see any way of using it for a restore.
    Don't think you can use it to restore your apps but open desktop manager go to backup/restore icon in there and select either restore or advanced and it should let you choose any .ipd file you have including the apploader backup.

10-07-09 10:08 PM
    Don't think you can use it to restore your apps but open desktop manager go to backup/restore icon in there and select either restore or advanced and it should let you choose any .ipd file you have including the apploader backup.

More worried about my contacts and device settings than I am about my apps. I can also re-download my Apps.

Couldn't get Windows version of BBDM to recognize my PIN, so I decided to copy the backup file from Parallels onto my Mac desktop (running Snow Leopard). Restore is in progress right now. <--- nervous.
    10-07-09 10:20 PM
    I got an error, not sure what it was, bbm disapeared, but i was running .53 I think, and bbm 5.0 the older version, I had to downgrade my firmware, recheck 4.7 bbm, and once that booted, i reinstalled my backup, and installed 5.0, only took 2+ hours with all the fun rebooting
    10-07-09 10:23 PM
    Here's the 552 theory I ascribe to... and I've read others on the boards post similar things... a 552 error is a problem when an app installs into the wrong part of the memory, a portion used by the OS... it has nothing to do with the design of the app itself... any app can cause it under OS 4.7.X (but not OS 5.0, apparently?? I've asked around)... so it's a RIM problem but not one that relates to the BBM 5.0 development. Frickin everyone wants to upgrade BBM 5.0.. so even with a 1% chance of a 552 error (or whatever the odds are)... you get many of users on here writing pointing fingers at BBM 5.0. But, in reality, it has nothing to do with BBM 5.0 and more to do with the OS. So.. that's my speculation. If it's right, then I suggest that you, when you try to recover your phone, install 5.0.0.230. It's very stable. The only gripe I have has to do with bluetooth music streaming A2DP.

ALL THAT SAID... I feel for you guys. I've been there and it seems like your phone will never work again. Well, it will. Verizon walked me through a reinstall after a 552 brick a long time ago. I wish I had written down all the steps... basically, you want to reload the OS but Desktop Manager won't recognize the phone at all. You begin the process with the battery OUT of the phone... after you get to the point where Desktop Manager wants to load the OS.. pop the battery back in and wait for a full boot up before continuing... it'll work. After that, you can restore data from a backup and even restore apps, if you have them archived or backed up using the Device Switch Wizard method. I'd mention the name of the Verizon tech who helped but anyone in CS/Global should be able to walk you through it. Good luck to all.
    i have a 8900. i loaded bbm 5 from app world. had the leaked version 5.0.0.2. after it installed i got the error 522. i clicked on the track ball and it reboored the phoe and everything came back normal. did not loose anything and new bbm 5 was installed and is now working as it should.

i think under the 522 error i saw the word reboot. thats why i clicked the track ball ...

good luck
    More worried about my contacts and device settings than I am about my apps. I can also re-download my Apps.

Couldn't get Windows version of BBDM to recognize my PIN, so I decided to copy the backup file from Parallels onto my Mac desktop (running Snow Leopard). Restore is in progress right now. <--- nervous.
    good luck man, I wish I would of waited an hour or 2, I bet BB servers got pounded, I did it right when it first appeared
    10-07-09 10:24 PM
    Here's the 552 theory I ascribe to... and I've read others on the boards post similar things... a 552 error is a problem when an app installs into the wrong part of the memory, a portion used by the OS... it has nothing to do with the design of the app itself... any app can cause it under OS 4.7.X (but not OS 5.0, apparently?? I've asked around)... so it's a RIM problem but not one that relates to the BBM 5.0 development. Frickin everyone wants to upgrade BBM 5.0.. so even with a 1% chance of a 552 error (or whatever the odds are)... you get many of users on here writing pointing fingers at BBM 5.0. But, in reality, it has nothing to do with BBM 5.0 and more to do with the OS. So.. that's my speculation. If it's right, then I suggest that you, when you try to recover your phone, install 5.0.0.230. It's very stable. The only gripe I have has to do with bluetooth music streaming A2DP.
    Wow. Thanks for this, this is quite informative. But I just have to wonder; why is there even a random chance at all that apps install themselves into the wrong place? The analogy you give is most likely misleading me, but it almost sounds like the OS flips a coin that will land heads 99 times out of 100, but if it lands tails...552 error. Why is there even a possibility that this will happen?

No dice on using BB Desktop Manager to reload the OS, either. I have a Mac and not a Windows box. Looks like I'm off to beg the Verizon store gods for mercy tomorrow.
    10-07-09 11:11 PM
    I'm running 4.7.1.40 and it installed perfectly fine for me. Hmm I think the new App world update has some serious problem.

I download directly from the Blackberry homepage bookmark from the browser and it went smooth.
    10-07-09 11:16 PM
    I downloading from App World and am running the out-of-the-box OS and I'm doing fine. Did a normal reboot, battery pull, and alt+shift+del and all rebooted up normally with no errors.

10-07-09 11:37 PM
    This happened to me as well. SO frustrating.

I just got my Tour about 3 weeks ago and I downloaded the BBM update from the App store a couple of hours after the official release.

I've tried using this tutorial to restore the OS but I'm stuck on #3 because I'm not seeing any options show up under "Application Name".

Guess I'll have to make a visit to Verizon in the morning. This sucks.
    10-07-09 11:39 PM
    I have a Bold running the latest AT&T OS, and the same thing happened to me - 552 Error - fk!
    10-07-09 11:46 PM
    I'm running the stock Verizon OS on my Tour with leaked BBM 5.0.0.8 and I downloaded .33 from app world and after the install my phone displayed the ERROR 552 and i did a battery pull - phone restarted perfectly and BBM installed. guess i consider myself lucky!
    10-08-09 12:29 AM
    looks like if your running that recalled software it screwing ya....
    10-08-09 12:39 AM
    Yes you've lost your data. I had this issue last week (but not over BBM) and basically if the phone is able to "connect to" your phone during the install then a backup may be made and then restored. If not then you have lost your data, but can restore from your most recent backup if you have one.

I had the problem over and over and over again and finally what fixed it was a wipe of the phone and a fresh reinstall WITHOUT restoring my backup file. Not sure why that was the problem but apparently something was stored inthe DB that was causing or at least contributing to the problem.
    10-08-09 01:38 AM
    Well here's my experience for what it's worth...
    I'm running whatever the OS was that Verizon had available a couple of weeks ago for upgrade...but then they recalled that version..everybody remember that!? Yeah well I wasn't having any problems so I didn't reload the older version.
    I downloaded the 5.0 Messenger from appworld, installed, restarted...there was no application icon to launch the messenger. The app was listed under applications as being there...I allowed all the permissions..but absolutely no icon to launch anywhere. Had a friend send me a message through messenger but nothing.
    So I resbooted, same thing.
    I deleted the messenger application from options>applications, deleted, rebooted..and white screen of death reload software 552.
    Unfortunatly I'm at work with no sync cable and no computer with BB Desktop and am without my phone for the next 10 hours..I think I might just have a break down..lol..no phone! aagghhh!!
    Bricked=bored.
    10-08-09 02:35 AM
    I'm sure you have plenty of quality people there you can chat with
    10-08-09 02:40 AM
    Not anymore..all the good ones went home for the night :0(
    *stare*
    By the way..all the bread's gone now.
    10-08-09 02:56 AM
    "Yes you've lost your data. I had this issue last week (but not over BBM) and basically if the phone is able to "connect to" your phone during the install then a backup may be made and then restored."

Can you please explain? How do you see if the "phone is able to connect to the phone"? I'd like to remove the BBM install which apparently caused the problem and see whether I can reboot to the old system (and all my data). Will that work?
    10-08-09 07:09 AM
    good luck man, I wish I would of waited an hour or 2, I bet BB servers got pounded, I did it right when it first appeared
    Thanks. I was able to install OS 5.0.0230 and restore my device (contacts, calendar and system settings) from a backup dated October 1st. The odd this is BBDM5 in Windows wouldn't recognize my PIN by BBDM for Mac did - so I had to copy the backup file from Parallels to MacOS. My 3rd Party Apps were not lost. The only thing I needed to do was reactivate and reconfigure QuickLaunch.
    10-08-09 07:45 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD