I want to upgrade/change the o/s on my 9900 to see how they differ.
    I'm ok with doing it but whenever I use to do it on my 9700 I'd loose my bbm conversations.
    Is there a way to restore the chats properly? I'll just be using the app loader or deskop manager btw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 04:15 PM
    Nope. But if you go into BBM Options you can save the chats to internal memory or the media card. They can then be viewed within BBM or Excel on a computer.
    09-22-11 04:20 PM
    yes it is possible.
    done it twice when changing phones. heres what i do.
    after transferring the data from my old phone to my new phone using blackberry desktop manager. (know the old phone PIN and new phone PIN)
    i check BBM settings on both to where it saves the BBM history (device or card?) and make sure both new phone and old phone are the same.
    next i send a message to someone from my new phone and close that chat. (this is so that history is created.)
    for each device/phone a folder is created with the PIN no. and in that folder is another folder called "History" in that is the actual history "csv" files.
    i copy all the folders in the old pin folder to the new pin folder.

in my case the setting set to save history under "media card"
    when i connect the phone to the computer i open the media card from my computer and browse to Blackberry -> im -> Blackberry Messenger -> "phone PIN"
    just copy the history folder from the old PIN to the new PIN

i tried to be as clear as possible. hope it is.
    09-22-11 06:36 PM
    madoon, that's not saving the conversation/chat, you just explained in detail what I said. My understanding is the OP wants their BBM "chats" to still be there after installing a new OS, that's not possible. You can view your history with them, but the chats within BBM need to be started again after installing a new OS.
    09-22-11 06:48 PM
    Beware, I just installed a hybrid os7.362 onto my 9900 and bbm will not let me message anyone or receive any messages until I enter a KeyCode. I do not know where to get one though, so I might be going back to the telus os7 that was installed originally.
    09-22-11 06:51 PM
    Beware, I just installed a hybrid os7.362 onto my 9900 and bbm will not let me message anyone or receive any messages until I enter a KeyCode. I do not know where to get one though, so I might be going back to the telus os7 that was installed originally.
    That hybrid most likely (actually 100% sure) included the BBM that's in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. Which you need to sign up for and get invited to use that version of BBM. Hybrid builders like doing this since most users of them are Beta Zone members.

Go to AppWorld or blackberry/messenger.com to install a version that you can actually use...
    09-22-11 07:09 PM
    thanks ridesno159, I joined the blackberry beta and now bbm works fine after activating it.
    09-22-11 11:39 PM
    thanks for the replies guys, thats a shame- i'll do wot you said about transferring the history.
    At least thats something, just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing trick.
    09-23-11 01:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD