I have 2 curve 8330s. One phone has both data and internet service and the other just a data plan. It is a Bell canada phone and no sms card. Both phones have OS 4.5 and phone 1 has the new BB messenger 5 and phone 2 has the original messenger. I want to upgrade phone 2 to use the latest messenger 5 but it seems I can only do this with an internet plan. Desktop manager will not let me install it that way from the web site on a curve. I guess I am looking for the files to be able to do it manually. Bell tech support simply says I can't do it and that I need to purchase an internet plan for it to be able to install the new BB Messenger. She doesn't use internet so that would be a waste. Any help would be appreciated.
    01-17-10 01:36 PM
    na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/im/blackberry_messenger.jsp

Click on the button "Download through my browser now" in Internet Explorer.

Be sure to have your blackberry plugged in.

It worked for me and I don't have a data plan.
    01-17-10 02:11 PM
    What good is bb messenger without a data plan?
    01-17-10 02:58 PM
    Thats what I was wondering..... bbm will use data....
    01-17-10 03:01 PM
    In Canada we have a 15.00 messaging plan that allows emails(non html) and BBM messaging. There are other countries other than US.
    01-17-10 03:41 PM
    The other solution would be to extract the 11 files from the bb with the upgrade, and insert them in java then run loader.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 04:18 PM
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I HAVE a data plan. I "do not have" internet on phone 2. Yes it would be simple if I did. Sorry for not being clear about this.
    01-17-10 08:10 PM
    Did you try downloading it through your desktop computer browser yet?

01-17-10 08:43 PM
    The other solution would be to extract the 11 files from the bb with the upgrade, and insert them in java then run loader.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

^^^ This. No internet needed on phone 2. There are downloads available out there for the BBM 5 .cod files that you can copy into your OS's Java folder. Then all you do is connect your BB to the computer and run loader.exe

Just search for a link to download the BBM 5 files to your computer.
    01-17-10 08:59 PM
    ^^^ This. No internet needed on phone 2. There are downloads available out there for the BBM 5 .cod files that you can copy into your OS's Java folder. Then all you do is connect your BB to the computer and run loader.exe

Just search for a link to download the BBM 5 files to your computer.
    I have the cod files but how do I get them into the OS's java folder and where do I find loader.exe? Thanks
    01-18-10 06:00 AM
    I have the cod files but how do I get them into the OS's java folder and where do I find loader.exe? Thanks
    Loader.exe:
    Program Files->Common Files->Research in Motion->App Loader

Java:
    Program Files->Common Files->Research in Motion->Shared->"Your OS folder"->Java

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-18-10 07:17 AM
    I feel slammed from my earlier post but maybe I will be okay this time. You will need your os installed on the pc to do this. You can look in control panel, add and remove programs and see if your os is there. If it is not you can find it on blackberry or maybe a link here some where..
    01-18-10 09:29 AM
    Loader.exe:

Java:

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

You can also use BBSAK (rimgeeks.com) to load the .cod files to your BB without using loader.exe. The preferred method is with loader.exe because you will have a copy of your OS on your computer for reloading should something go wrong with your BB in the future.
    01-18-10 01:17 PM
    Sounds easy enough. Are these the 11 cod files I need from phone 1? Just want to be sure. I copy them into the same folder on the other phone and then run loader.exe from the app loader loacation on the computer right? Then sync the phone with desktop manager?

net_rim_platform_im_resource__es.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__fr.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__ko.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__zh_CN.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__zh_TW.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__en_GB.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__en_NL.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__en_US.cod

Loader.exe:

Java:

01-19-10 09:21 AM
    Nope, for english use these:

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-19-10 09:35 AM
    Sorry - I might be a little thick this morning. In the Java folder I don't see cod files that look like those. I'll keep searching Thanks
    01-19-10 11:58 AM
    You won't find the files you need in your java folder, you installed BBM 57 through a data connection. You'll need to extract them from the BB that has them, then put them in the BB that doesn't. Here's a link to bbsak, which will make it easy.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-19-10 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD