Hey guys I recently bought my gf who lives in Jamaica a BB 9650 to replace her gemini, and it is going to need to be unlocked. I remembered when I was visiting her, my tour while it was unlocked, I could not use my BBM or Internet. How can we enable her to be able to use BBM and Internet on her Verizon 9650 after it has been unlocked? I read somehwere something about entering an EPN string? Is this correct? Thanks for the help.
    10-22-11 04:49 PM
    Anyone out there please?
    10-22-11 07:03 PM
    The 9650 is both CDMA and GSM. If you want to use CDMA then you will have to sign up with MiPhone in Jamaica. All other Jamaican carriers are GSM. Since your phone can do both standards, you will need to decide which carrier you want to use.

Unlocking can easily be done by checking the CrackBerry Unlocking forum here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-unlocking-f157/ There are usually deals offered in this forum on a daily basis.

Once the phone is unlocked, all the phones services are available at the phone hardware and software level. However if you want to use BBM, email and Internet then not only must you sign up for a phone plan, you must also sign up for a BlackBerry data plan. Make no mistake, BBM and Internet WIL NOT work without a data plan.

I am unfamiliar with Jamaican phone plans but it is likely (but not certain) that you will need to sign up for a monthly contract for both phone and data. It is unlikely that you will be able to get data services using a pre-paid scheme. You will need to check this out carefully before you buy.

If you use the phone just for phone calls and SMS texts then you only need phone minutes. You will not need a data plan.
    10-22-11 07:19 PM
    Unlocking can easily be done by checking the CrackBerry Unlocking forum here BlackBerry Unlocking - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com There are usually deals offered in this forum on a daily basis.
    For the OP, you didn't indicate your carrier. If you are with Verizon and have an account in good standing, you can likely get the phone unlocked for free by calling their Global Support department. Call their regular CS number (800.922.0204) and ask for global support. You want to unlock the phone for use overseas.

You can also use one of the many services that advertise here on CB for a small fee, typically less than $20. While they are always happy to help you for a price, most of the good ones will advise you to try the carrier first.
    10-23-11 03:31 PM
    For the OP, you didn't indicate your carrier. If you are with Verizon and have an account in good standing, you can likely get the phone unlocked for free by calling their Global Support department. Call their regular CS number (800.922.0204) and ask for global support. You want to unlock the phone for use overseas.

You can also use one of the many services that advertise here on CB for a small fee, typically less than $20. While they are always happy to help you for a price, most of the good ones will advise you to try the carrier first.
    The OP has sent this phone to Jamaica (said so) and there the only CDMA operator is MiPhone. All the others are GSM. Of course, the phone could be Verizon but it will require careful co-ordination to get it unlocked by Verizon down there. Obviously it CAN be done but you need all the right codes, etc.

That said, there are often free unlocks offered on a daily basis in the CrackBerry Unlocking forum.
    Last edited by 4Q2; 10-23-11 at 04:13 PM.
    10-23-11 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD