I'm trying to move from a Curve 8900 to a Bold 9790 and when I try to either switch handset or manually restore a backup, the BBM chats don't get transferred.

If I go into Desktop Manager and do a selective restore, I notice that BBM conversations item is greyed out, so I can't select it to restore.

if I try and do the same restore to my colleague's Torch 9810, it is fine, and if I then backup the 9810 and try and restore that to the Bold 9790 it is still greyed out.

Any ideas how to get my conversations transferred? I currently don't have history enabled in BBM but I know enabling that now will only save new conversations and not
    the existing ones.

Ideas anyone...?

Thanks

Steve.
    04-15-12 10:10 AM
    Maintaining converstations through a backup only works on OS7. Never ewas a big deal though. If you really need the history, save it or email the chat convo, thus saving it.
    04-15-12 11:50 AM
    Hi, thanks for the update, but since it will allow me to import conversations on a Torch 9810 (also running BB OS 7) then I'm unclear as to why it won't import the same on the Bold 9790. If I import from the successfully exported conversations on the Torch 9810, it stilll won't import to the Bold 9790, so I'm not sure this is as straighforward as just a BB OS 7 issue.

Emaling it is just in text form though right, so not within BB messenger itself?

Thanks

Steve.
    04-15-12 01:41 PM
    Not a gosh darn clue why it would work on one, and not the other. It was a surprise the first time upgrading my 9930.

Yes, it would all be text. Not sure if switching "save chat history" on would save all you currently have. I do know if you swap devices, the history would have to be migrated to the current pin"ks history, or all you have is all their pins as folders with CSV inside.
    04-15-12 02:24 PM
    Hi, thanks for the further info. I tried enabling history but as suspected it doesn't seem to pick up previous conversations. I guess I'll have to just save it as text if no-one has any further ideas.

Thanks

Steve.
    04-16-12 05:13 AM
    Thanks for the tip on the migrating the history to the new PIN. I enabled history to get any new chats to at least be saved and then changed the PIN details once I moved to the new handset so I do have the later history which is good :-). Thanks.
    04-19-12 12:13 PM
    hi bigbagwulf!

cud you help me out and advise me on how to move the chat history from one device to another. i currently changed from an 8520 curve to a 9860 torch and cant seem to get the chat history for bbm on the new phone. tried various ways but nothings working.

pls advise on how to migrate the chat history to the new phone. a little detail wud be appreciated.

thanks!
    05-15-12 07:03 AM
    my motive is to see the chat as if i never changed the phone. that is to be able to see the whole chat in one go...rather than see the new chat only, and be able to see the old pin chat by seeing history.

hope im being clear
    05-15-12 07:50 AM
    They're all stored on the SD (I hope you stored them on the media card), at BlackBerry->IM->BlackBerry Messenger->*your device pin number*. You need to open the current pin and old pin in two separate Explorer windows on the PC, then open each contact's chat history in Excel. Copy the older convo, then paste it to the beginning of the new chat history and save. You could probably do it on the phone, but it would be a lot easier on a PC.
    05-16-12 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD