08-02-10 01:24 AM
33 12
tools
    Keeping this on topic and having relatives in said country, I can only say that the initial motive is for the good. In all honesty it is actually better for everyone in that country if the Emirates were given the possibility to operate a local BlackBerry network center. This particular case maybe went a bit to the extremes and whether gasoline prices are high or not, just take a look at other countries when it comes to treating protesters. Only pointing out that Arab countries are not that bad. Also, I paid Iraq a visit last month and I can say that much of what you see in the media is a bit exaggerated and overestimated.

I say move on; it is a Muslim country after all and most citizens are likely to accept this. Compare this to the fact that only few were against blocking Facebook in Pakistan.

To all Muslims reading this, Insha'Allah Khayr.
    All very nice but what about those that don't wanna live by religious believes? Should they just obey to the majority? Where are their rights? Women's rights? Gay people rights? Man and woman showing affection to each other holding hands and kissing in public? People that don't want their kids to be brain washed in school and actually learn some science?

Or do they not exist in Arab countries?
    08-01-10 09:18 PM
    What do you do
    Office of Counternarcotics Enforcement
    08-01-10 10:02 PM
    All very nice but what about those that don't wanna live by religious believes? Should they just obey to the majority? Where are their rights? Women's rights? Gay people rights? Man and woman showing affection to each other holding hands and kissing in public? People that don't want their kids to be brain washed in school and actually learn some science?

Or do they not exist in Arab countries?
    We should respect the Sovereignty of other Nations ( whether you like it or not!).. if we want to be RESPECTED as well.
    08-01-10 10:21 PM
    +1 here.....The fact is...the freedom in this country we all enjoy, is the very freedom that enables freaks, from within or walk in, and harm us. (9/11-Oklahoma City)
    I'm not sure "big brother" really cares what you're doing as long as it's not harmful to others or National Security.
    With all the ppl in the country, and North America, I think it's a little arrogant to think you (generalizing) are important enough to warrant watching. Unless you're a KGB spy
    Really? There was an article today about a township, Riverhead that has been using google earth to see peoples backyards to see if they have pools and checking them against permits and issuing summons' to those who show a pool and don't have a permit for one.

From big to petty, its getting worse. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but technology and the way its used, and the way that powers that be use it isn't far from what the UAE and others do. Generally, were just sneakier about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by berryfit; 08-01-10 at 10:35 PM.
    08-01-10 10:30 PM
    Isn't this a praise to the Blackberry Encription service?
    I mean if it had been an iPhone, it would have been MUCH easier than how much the UAE worked.

Just think about that.

08-01-10 10:34 PM
    I mean if it had been an iPhone, it would have been MUCH easier than how much the UAE worked.

Just think about that.

i think you're spot on!
    08-01-10 11:32 PM
    That's exactly it, its a testament to the BB security. They aren't banning iPhones and Androids because they can access all of the communication avenues from those devices. They are banning BB's because they can't monitor the communications on those.

I've also read that LEOs in this country prefer when crooks use iPhones because they are easier to access.

Cops love iPhone data trail

"When someone tells me they have an iPhone in a case, I say, 'Yeah!' I can do tons with an iPhone," said Fazio, who works in the sheriff's department high-tech crimes unit.

• Every time an iPhone user closes out of the built-in mapping application, the phone snaps a screenshot and stores it. Savvy law-enforcement agents armed with search warrants can use those snapshots to see if a suspect is lying about whereabouts during a crime.

• iPhone photos are embedded with GEO tags and identifying information, meaning that photos posted online might not only include GPS coordinates of where the picture was taken, but also the serial number of the phone that took it.

• Even more information is stored by the applications themselves, including the user's browser history. That data is meant in part to direct custom-tailored advertisements to the user, but experts said some of it could be useful to police.

Clearing out user histories isn't enough to clean the device of that data, said John B. Minor, a member of the International Society of Forensic Computer Examiners.

Just as users can take and store a picture of their iPhone's screen, the phone itself automatically shoots and stores hundreds of such images as people close out one application to use another.

"Those screen snapshots can contain images of e-mails or proof of activities that might be inculpatory or exculpatory," Minor said.

• The keyboard cache logs everything that you type in to learn autocorrect so that it can correct a user's typing mistakes. Apple doesn't store that cache very securely, Zdziarski contended, so someone with know-how could recover months of typing in the order in which it was typed, even if the e-mail or text it was part of has long since been deleted.
    Cops love iPhone data trail :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 08-02-10 at 12:14 AM.
    08-01-10 11:47 PM
    They've actually offered BB users here to replace their BlackBerry with an iPhone
    08-02-10 01:24 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD