Today marks the official launch of the Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones v1.1 application. This version – which our helpful BlackBerry Beta Zone users have been testing over the past six weeks – includes several new and exciting features, like adding a location to your Tweets and Push @Mentions. (Please note v1.1 will become available for download in BlackBerry App World™ over the next 24 hours. If you don’t see it listed immediately, please keep checking back!)

A big shout out to everyone who participated in the beta and provided their valuable feedback! Since the release of the beta version, the Twitter app team at Research In Motion (RIM) has been busy working on some additional improvements in response to feedback raised during the beta.

Let’s take a look at some of the new features in more detail so you can start using them!

Tweet Location

By enabling this feature, you can pinpoint your location in a neighborhood and include it your Tweets. To try out this feature, complete the following steps:

Open Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones v1.1
    Press the Menu key and select Options
    Enable Add Location To Tweet and save your changes
    After enabling this setting, you’ll notice a new compass icon that appears to the right of the photo icon below the Tweet box. To add your location, select this icon and your BlackBerry smartphone will determine where you are and add it to any new Tweets you submit. If you want to remove your location, simply select the icon again to disable this feature until you’re ready to use it again.

Viewing someone else’s location – if they have enabled this feature – is really easy too! All you need to do is select the location icon that appears in the bottom right corner of their tweet and a map view will open, allowing you to see where they were when they submitted that Tweet.

Other new features include Push @Mentions and #Topic Autocomplete, which were previously discussed in the Twitter v1.1 Beta post.

Refreshed Branding

We’ve made several changes to enhance the Twitter for BlackBerry smartphone experience, like updated graphics that reflect the new look of the Twitter brand and a streamlined layout of the Add Photo and Add Location icons on the Home screen.

Retweet Updates

The next time you Retweet something, it will appear in your Home timeline as ‘Retweeted by You’, to quickly alert you that your Retweet was sent successfully.

New language support

Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones now supports the following additional languages:

Simplified Chinese
    Traditional Chinese
    Polish
    Czech
    Thai
    We’ve also made several changes to address feedback that we received from BlackBerry Beta Zone users reported during the Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones v1.1 beta. One of the issues we’ve addressed is the “Unable to Find Location” error message that appeared whenever a user attempted to submit a new tweet. We’ve also made some changes to ensure that you don’t encounter any difficulties when attempting to shorten a URL you’d like to share, or that you don’t experience delays when opening the Twitter app on your BlackBerry smartphone.

We always welcome your feedback, so please post a comment and let us know what you think about the latest version of Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones!
    04-12-11 09:14 AM
    I may have to check this out again. One thing I couldn't stand was not receiving @mentions. I do think UberSocial is a great app, but it has its problems too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-11 09:24 AM
    I would also like to see RIM implement cross-platform posting, twitter to facebook.

04-12-11 09:26 AM
    I would also like to see RIM implement cross-platform posting, twitter to facebook.
    I don't think it is necessary, since you can set up your accounts so tweets show on facebook...
    04-12-11 09:39 AM
    great news!!!
    04-12-11 10:41 AM
    I don't think it is necessary, since you can set up your accounts so tweets show on facebook...
    Really? I didn't know that.

04-12-11 11:57 AM
    Does it still quote the tweet with " "? Or does it finally show the RT?
    04-12-11 12:20 PM
    Does it still quote the tweet with " "? Or does it finally show the RT?
    Do you mean this?

04-12-11 01:27 PM
    Do you mean this?

Yeah. I guess I still have to edit it ourselves.
    04-12-11 01:29 PM
    I don't get it. Didn't you want the RT icon? The " " are not what I wanted to show.
    04-12-11 01:32 PM
    I don't get it. Didn't you want the RT icon? The " " are not what I wanted to show.
    I want it to be like UberSocial. Let's say there's a tweet from @Mike: Twitter is cool. Well when I highlight the tweet and want to retweet it with a comment,
    I have to choose "quote tweet." Well when it's quoted in the input box I want
    it to show as RT @Mike: Twitter is cool and not as "@Mike Twitter is cool" This
    way I don't have to actually go and delete the the quotation marks and have
    to type out the "RT" myself. It's petty, I know. But kind of annoying.

Is it still that way?
    04-12-11 02:28 PM
    Warning for Storm2 9550 users: This version is an absolute disaster on my phone (5.0.0.1015 on Verizon): tons of refresh issues (loading tweets in the wrong order, skipping 20 or 30 tweets at a time, different tweets are displayed if you exit and re-enter the app); lagging and freezing; errors when loading lists; pull-to-refresh not working. I was a beta tester for this app, and none of these issues were present in either beta build. Neither battery pull nor uninstall/reinstall routine seemed to help. Would be interested to know if other Storm2 users are having similar problems.
    04-12-11 03:08 PM
    Terrible release! Very buggy, laggy and non-responsive. Lasted all of 5 minutes on my Bold 9650. Why can't RIM make a decent Twitter client?

04-12-11 04:18 PM
    I want it to be like UberSocial. Let's say there's a tweet from @Mike: Twitter is cool. Well when I highlight the tweet and want to retweet it with a comment,
    I have to choose "quote tweet." Well when it's quoted in the input box I want
    it to show as RT @Mike: Twitter is cool and not as "@Mike Twitter is cool" This
    way I don't have to actually go and delete the the quotation marks and have
    to type out the "RT" myself. It's petty, I know. But kind of annoying.

Is it still that way?
    I know what you mean anyway. Never used Uber, but sounds like it does it the same as SocialScope.

Through the beta builds, yes it was unfortunately still doing the quotation marks for Quote Tweet. Like you, I want to that RT there too.

It also doesn't show your own Retweets, but instead has a note under the original Tweet that you Retweeted it.

Anyway, I'm only just now updating from the BZ .17 to .21 off App World. So we'll see what they fixed, if anything, from the last beta build.
    04-12-11 05:41 PM
    It is working as you don't want it ot and, well, unless you guys have reported that as an issue in beta zone, I don't think they ever will.
    04-13-11 06:53 AM
    Lets move this bad boy to Native Apps!
    04-13-11 10:31 AM
    I discovered a feature/shortcut over the last couple days. Coming back into Twitter and finding yourself with the focus on the top menu icons, you can click SPACE and it will jump you down to your last read Tweet.

Not super-dependable: if you have enough unread Tweets that you get the More Tweets Available bar, that seems to wipe out your last position.
    04-14-11 02:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD