I've seen where a number of people won't even consider a non-BB device because they can't live without BBM. What advantage does it have over just trading text messages with someone? Am I missing something obvious or not using BBM to the fullest of its potential?

Greg
    10-25-09 12:30 PM
    It is basically instant conversation, like Instant Messenger style. Also allows for group chats and easy picture exchanges.
    10-25-09 12:30 PM
    And it's like a cool little club that only us BB users get to be a part of!
    10-25-09 12:34 PM
    And it's like a cool little club that only us BB users get to be a part of!

Being a "little club" has it's disadvantages. BBM only has value if one's circle of friends & business contacts uses the same system. If I had a dime for every time I implored someone to load up yahoo messenger [insert your own favorite messaging program here] so that we could not only message but send pictures back and forth, I'd be a rich man. I know there are programs that let one converse with contacts on different messaging programs, but those don't provide full functionality.
    10-25-09 12:39 PM
    It consumes us, and pretty much forces you to stick with BlackBerry a good thing though... I think...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 12:43 PM
    The biggest advantage is that it only uses your data plan and doesn't use your text plan. Because I have BBM, and most of my friends are on berry's, I save about $15 a month by not having to pay for a larger text plan. I know its only $15, but that's two more drinks I can get each month, lol. That and I hate wasting money. No matter how much it is. Oh yeah, and you can spy on the people you send messages to by seeing if they read the message

10-25-09 12:44 PM
    Text messaging is expensive when roaming. With a Wifi connection, you could bbm someone from the other side of the world. You could try one of the instant messaging applications, but that's another app you have to run in the background.

10-25-09 12:46 PM
    I love bbm cause like someone else said its tha instant response and not haveing to wait for a person to get ur message and then send you one bac. Plus the fact that everyone can get in a room together and discuss things at one time. i love my bbm
    10-25-09 12:50 PM
    there are some BBM haters in this forum
    10-25-09 12:54 PM
    I've seen where a number of people won't even consider a non-BB device because they can't live without BBM. What advantage does it have over just trading text messages with someone? Am I missing something obvious or not using BBM to the fullest of its potential?

Greg
    Have you seen the BB commercial where they guy is fighting his gd in the dinner. She gets mad and leaves. He sends a bbm and as she walks out the door(2 second later) she gets a message and stops. And they get back together. Just an example of how quick. Their sent. pics and videos are sent just as quickly.

10-25-09 12:56 PM
    I love (especially the new version) BBM! The instantness of it plus I can see if someone is reading my msg! Plus, I love the new barcode thingy where you can just scan someone's barcode and they are instantly added as a contact... no needing to type PINs or email etc.
    10-25-09 12:57 PM
    Being a "little club" has it's disadvantages. BBM only has value if one's circle of friends & business contacts uses the same system. If I had a dime for every time I implored someone to load up yahoo messenger [insert your own favorite messaging program here] so that we could not only message but send pictures back and forth, I'd be a rich man. I know there are programs that let one converse with contacts on different messaging programs, but those don't provide full functionality.
    Luckily it is always loaded on every BB device so the part about getting people to load it is not necessary. I didn't even realize so many people I know have a BB. Also its great you can contact any BB anywhere in the world on any carrier without any additional charges. I just like it is a communication program way better than sending texts. I got like 10 people onto BBs and makes it easy to communicate.
    10-25-09 02:04 PM
    Biggest thing for me is that I can bbm with my wife overseas. Otherwise I would be payin $1 for text message sent and .05 per received.

10-25-09 03:56 PM
    Right. So the only reasonable solution is to not make friends with people that don't use blackberries. It's really that simple!

10-26-09 12:13 AM
    Why is this thread here? It has nothing to do with Storm2 specifically. This should be somewhere under software.
    10-26-09 12:15 AM
    Why is this thread here? It has nothing to do with Storm2 specifically. This should be somewhere under software.
    What?? People actually post in the right forum? Nah, not gonna happen.
    10-26-09 12:23 AM
    I think, therefore BBM (at first I thought that stood for Blackberry Bowel Movement ... lol )
    10-26-09 07:30 AM
    It is basically instant conversation, like Instant Messenger style. Also allows for group chats and easy picture exchanges.
    Well...the picture thing is kind of wrong now. It USED to be super fast but now in BBM5.0 it is reallyyyy slow or doesnt even work! I have seen a couple of people with this problem!
    10-26-09 09:12 AM
    BBM is amazing! These are my reasons for saying this:
    1. Its free! I'm going to be straight-out honest with you...when I top up my phone and text not using BBM I waste the full 10 in just a week. When I use BBM. I hardly waste 3! Even with the 5 money you need to pay, I would use WAYYY more than a fiver if I sent all my BBM's using a normal SMS texting.

2. Group chats! I admit that I don't use them a lot BUT can you do that with an ordinary SMS? No. Nuff said on this sub.

3. D or R! You can easily tell if someone is ignoring you by seeing the little R icon above the tick. That isn't on SMS, though, isn't it?

4. Pics! Sending pictures over normal texts doesn't really work out seen as it costs a HUGE amount of money (well, a couple of quids) but BBM pics are totally free of charge and you can add a caption to it and you can see if the sending is complete and how far it's gone sending.

5. DP! For those of you who don't know, DP's are Display pictures and...well....THEY ROCK! Well, not really but its a good point to point out!

And there is even more but I'm too lazy to mention them coz I am a lazy ummm bb user loooll. Back to BBM... oh and by the way...., ROCK ON BBM! Gosh, I sound like some kind of rocker. Well, im just a teen girl whos into her bb so byeeeeeee.

BBM ROCKKSSSSSSSZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!
    shante1012 likes this.
    12-09-12 05:11 AM
    I miss my bbm can't wait to get my z10
    05-03-13 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD