Hey,

I currently have an iPhone 4S with Fido(Canada) and have the 6GB data option with tethering included. I used to have the Bold 9900 and got that data addon while using the 9900 so it's still the "BB Data" option (according to the bill), although works on my iPhone without issues.

My friend just got a new phone and can give me her old 9780 to use so I was wondering if I can use the iPhone's Personal Hotspot feature to tether data to the Blackberry and be able to use BBM through the hotspot wifi without using a sim in the BB? Since the data on my plan still has the BIS services, I'm assuming the BB can use them when the data is tethered.

So would this work, or is there any way I can make it work by doing something differently?

Otherwise, does anyone know the cheapest way to get BBM on a Canadian carrier month-to-month or pay as you go without getting a voice plan?

Thanks
    01-23-12 01:04 PM
    No, you will need a sim in the 9780 which is activated for Blackberry data in order to use BBM, even when on wifi.
    01-23-12 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD