Does AT&T count a message sent through Blackberry Messenger as a text?
    I was under the impression that it would be included in the unlimited data package. My wife and I have 200 texts, and we have texted maybe 5 times, because we started using the BB messenger. When I look at my account online though, it is showing that we have used 47 texts.
    05-14-08 03:19 PM
    I'm on AT&T, and use BBM A LOT - as in all day long, every day. Never any additional charges.
    05-14-08 03:21 PM
    Yea same here. BB messenger uses data not texts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-08 10:21 PM
    At&t does not count messnger as a text.. If they would of done that i would of been in big trouble with a huge bill!
    05-14-08 10:26 PM
    No sweat bigdaddy... you're all covered in BBM with your unlimited data package.
    05-14-08 11:48 PM
    ok this is useful to know as I was wondering bout this as I have Unlimited Data on my work plan (at&t ) so I think using Blackberry Messenger should be ok ...won't abuse it as I do not wanna get fired
    05-18-08 05:36 PM
    I was wondering the same thing for a long time. I finally got my answer today and I wanted to share with others what I found out. I got my first blackberry about 10 months ago. The ONLY reason I got it was so I could use the Blackberry Messenger. I was informed that it was free to use between other blackberry users all over the world. So, when I did purchase the phone I asked numerous times to confirm that it would NOT charge me SMS to use it. I got the Blackberry personal unlimited data package. I used BBM for a month to talk to family who lives in another country and when the bill came I was hit with a LARGE international texting bill. I was shocked so I went back into the store and asked them about this. They assured me that Blackberry Messenger was supposed to use data and that the problem was with billing. I was reimbursed the money and I continued using blackberry messenger. The next month I was charged for international texting AGAIN! I called customer service again to ask them why this was happening and they informed me that using blackberry messenger counts as SMS. I was very upset since that feature was the only reason I got the phone in the first place! I stopped using the messenger after that and resorted to emailing instead. Recently I decided to search the internet for answers as to why I would be charged SMS when everyone else is using it for free! I came across this site and after reading tons of people state that blackberry messenger uses DATA not SMS, I decided to try it one more time. I used Blackberry messenger for the past few days and then decided to ask one more time if it only uses data. Below I've copied a conversation I had with the online chat support with AT&T.

Please wait for a chat representative to respond.
    Welcome to AT&T Technical Support Chat. I’ll be happy to assist you today
    Representative: Hello. I'll be glad to assist you today.
    Representative: I apologize that you are having issues with your SMS . I will be more than happy to assist you to get this issue resolved.
    Representative:: Thank you for waiting. I checked you account. If you send a text message that comes from you SMS package. If you send a Blackberry message when online then it does not pull from your SMS.
    me: Ok, that is what I was told when I bought the blackberry. So when I use the Blackberry messenger to talk to other friends with blackberrys it should use data only, correct?
    Representative:: That is correct.
    me So did something change recently? Because I got the blackberry in February of this year, and I started using the messenger for family outside the US (which I confirmed would not charge SMS) and when I got my bill it was huge because it was charging me for international texts. So I stopped using the messenger feature but I was very upset because that was the reason I bought the phone in the first place. So I just started using the messenger again. I'm just hoping I won't get a huge bill again!
    Me: I've just gotten mixed messages about the messenger and that's why I'm so confused I guess.
    Representative: I apologize. The text messaging feature you have does not cover international messaging. You will need to contact customer service about your bill and international charges.
    Representative:: Please contact our billing and account support department by calling 1-800-331-0500 from any touch tone phone or 611 from your wireless phone. Either call is toll and airtime free. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 9:00 pm and Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and Closed Sunday.
    Me: Well I guess that is confusing because if the blackberry messenger feature just uses data, just like email, then why would I be charged? I don't get charge for emailing internationally.
    Representative:: I apologize. You will need to contact our billing department about your bill. They can look at it and give credit if due.
    Representative:: This channel checks for the features and makes sure the features are there and working. IF your being charged for something you should not have been charged for I apologize. I know we can get this fixed through billing.
    Representative:: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    me: I was just trying to get a confirmed answer on what the blackberry messenger features uses. Data or text? You said data, so I don't understand why then it would go through texting for international use? Why does it change?
    Representative:: That uses data.
    Representative:: The feature you have in Blackberry personal. Which is Internet.
    Representative:: Hello are you there?3
    Representative:: There*?
    Representative:: Is there any thing else I may assist you with?
    me: Ok so you are confirming that I can send messages through my blackberry messenger to other friends who have blackberry messenger all over the world and it only uses data?
    Representative:: You will need to contact Billing With your billing questions. This is a billing question and needs to be addressed with customer service. This is a technical support chat we fix network issues like voice mail and Internet connections.
    Representative:: I apologize for the inconvenience.
    me: I think it's really more of a feature question. But I will call billing then. Thank you.
    Representative:: IT is but how that feature is billed is a billing question. We fix the feature if it is not working, through the network.
    me: ok
    Representative:: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    me: No that's all. Thank you.

End-------------------

So after that conversation, I didn't feel like she really answered my question so I then called Customer Care and I confirmed with them that Blackberry Messenger uses DATA not SMS no matter what country you send it to. I then asked why I had a problem with it before and she said you have to make sure you request your contact through their PIN. I had previously requested my contacts through their email address and this could have caused the charges. This time I requested my contacts through PIN. I asked her if there were any unusal SMS charges on my bill in the past few days and she said no. I just really wanted to put this out there for anyone else experiencing the same problem I had. When you go to request a contact, use their PIN number!!
    Hope this helps!
    12-12-09 01:34 PM
    Thanks - your info was very helpful. Seems AT&T billing is always f*ing up on things. I just started sharing my PIN so I'll be keeping an eye out for my next bill to see what they try & pull on me!
    12-12-09 07:28 PM
    The only time that bbm should count as a text is if your using 5.0 and add am SMS contact to BBM in which case it is sending an SMS through BBM.
    12-13-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD