Does BBM work without data plan? I am heading to china, Beijing. I was hoping to pop in a local sim card and use it while I am there for couple days. Appreciate any input! Thanks
    09-13-11 07:35 PM
    From what I understand you need a BB data plan..

James
    09-13-11 07:41 PM
    yes it does, however some people have been able to use it on wifi (btw dont forget to unlock your phone)
    09-13-11 07:47 PM
    You have three options

1. Pop in a local Chinese SIM with BIS to use BBM

2. Use Wi-Fi

Be warned though, that if you're planning on using it over Wi-Fi, leave your original SIM inside because if you put in another SIM, your service books get automatically erased and you won't have access to BBM over Wi-Fi anymore (unless the Chinese SIM is provisioned with BIS service)
    09-13-11 07:57 PM
    Be warned though, that if you're planning on using it over Wi-Fi, leave your original SIM inside because if you put in another SIM, your service books get automatically erased and you won't have access to BBM over Wi-Fi anymore (unless the Chinese SIM is provisioned with BIS service)
    This is kind of off topic, but if I understand correctly, this won't happen with BIS 4.1 anymore right? It should be tied to the blackberry ID instead of the SIM card.
    09-13-11 09:22 PM
    Using wifi will save you some data charges, and if you are on a foreign (non-china) SIM card you can also access Facebook and twitter over wifi (these two are blocked in China and a China SIM BB can't access)..and, remember to turn off your data services while roaming to avoid accidental charges

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-14-11 03:22 AM
    ..and, remember to turn off your data services while roaming to avoid accidental charges
    Possibly the most important piece of advice if you are going overseas! Always make sure you turn off data when roaming!

Find Wi-Fi somewhere and you'll be able to surf, tweet, facebook and BBM without incurring any charges...so long as you turn off data while roaming!
    09-14-11 05:44 AM
    OP,
    The BB would need data for BBM, and the charges are very heavy.
    I circumvented this problem when I went to China.
    I basically carried a spare Android phone (borrowed from a friend). In China a bought a pre-paid China Mobile connection. In China the Pre-Paid connections have internet access enabled by default.
    I had my BB data service switched to Off When Roaming.
    I just started the Hot Spot on the Android and connected my BB to the Android Hot Spot Network.
    My BBM, Emails and internet all worked on the BB .
    Really cool.
    Only thing was that the Hot Spot feature sucked the life out of the Android Phone half way through the day, while the 9800 kept on going with wifi on. So I would recommend having a charger for the Android handy
    09-14-11 05:53 AM
    You have three options

2. Use Wi-Fi

What if I use a 9930 without the original sim?
    09-14-11 07:49 AM
    You have three options

2. Use Wi-Fi

Also, in most cases, BBM won't work on wifi because it is simply blocked by service providers.
    09-14-11 08:12 AM
    What if I use a 9930 without the original sim?
    If you buy a SIM from a service provider that allow you to use BBM using wifi, then you can insert that SIM and then resend the service books to enable the wifi based BBM.
    09-14-11 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD