05-16-12 02:55 PM
33 12
tools
    Is it possible to get on blackberry messenger with a wifi blackberry and not have a data plan? My parents want the new WiFi Curve but dont want the data plan....stupid i know this....but they can hop on the wifi, can they use blackberry messenger when on wifi?
    08-26-08 05:44 PM
    Hmm.... I do not think that you can, to the best of my knowledge.
    08-26-08 05:53 PM
    nope

cause the service books from your provider activate BBM to show up on your home screen
    08-26-08 06:44 PM
    You must have data plan to use BBMessenger

GTalk will work on wifi and perhaps you can use it instead of BBMessenger?

Kris

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-08 07:14 PM
    yes a data plan is the only way to use BBM
    08-26-08 07:20 PM
    No BBM without data plan...
    08-26-08 07:33 PM
    Broken record here, but no data plan no BBM. So very sad.
    08-26-08 07:43 PM
    Broken record here, but no data plan no BBM. So very sad.

it does suck
    08-26-08 08:02 PM
    can you still get email on it without a data plan if you're on wifi?
    08-26-08 08:33 PM
    Are we sure about this guys?
    I have the 8320 and while in the USA I can roam but b/c my service provider doesn't have a BB agreement with the USA company I cannot get my BB service. However recently I forgot to turn my wiffi off while in NY and guess what! My BBM worked while I was in the USA. Not via my BB service/plan but via my wifi.
    Could it be that it worked b/c I already have a BB plan here locally (and thus have all the necessary service books) or does those serviced books apply only to my carrier locally. If that's the case, then the BBM WOULD work with the wifi.

*shrug* Don't know...I guess we'd have to test it with someone who has an 8320 and no data service....hmm...I think I know someone.
    I'll get back to you guys with this one.
    08-26-08 08:44 PM
    can you still get email on it without a data plan if you're on wifi?
    Well the way you set up your emails on your BB is through the carrier's BB service website, if you don't have a plan then you can't set up an account in said website.

You can however go to gmail/yahoo/etc website and log in and get your email from there via wifi....as you would in any regular computer/wifi device..
    08-26-08 08:47 PM
    Awesome thanks. My parents want the phone but i'm not going to get it if they cant get anythign on it.
    08-26-08 09:37 PM
    You can use the Blackberry services (Messenger, Email, etc.) via wifi, but only if you have the service books. To get those you need a data plan.
    10-31-08 11:56 AM
    so just get the data plan and get all the neccisary service books and cancel it basically
    10-31-08 03:25 PM
    No...it won't work...you need those service books and the plan.
    I have two blackberries...one with blackberry service, the other without (and a different network that doesn't offer BB service).
    The first BB, Curve 8320, was the original and I had my sim card with the BB service network (so all necessary service books, plans, etc). When I got my Bold I took out that Sim and replaced it with a non-BB service network sim card.
    The browser works over the wifi but NOT the messenger or the emails, etc.
    So the service books/data plan are a MUST
    11-02-08 10:11 PM
    I am currently in USA roaming with my BB BOLD.
    I have a data plan with BIS and have all my service books. I am in a location where I am not getting carrier signal (I only have SOS in the corner or "Searching for signal" and "X" for the antenna levels, but have WiFi access. I am using BB Messenger right now to chat with some friends.

I think as long as you have BIS and the service books, when your carrier signal drops, if you have WiFi it can connect to the BIS and you can use your BB like you would normally.

How does that sound?
    12-14-08 11:57 PM
    I have the 8320 with T-Mobile, had BIS but dropped it, and am still able to receive email and BBM messages through WIFI. I believe that all you need are the service books.
    12-15-08 12:40 AM
    I am currently in USA roaming with my BB BOLD.
    I have a data plan with BIS and have all my service books. I am in a location where I am not getting carrier signal (I only have SOS in the corner or "Searching for signal" and "X" for the antenna levels, but have WiFi access. I am using BB Messenger right now to chat with some friends.

I think as long as you have BIS and the service books, when your carrier signal drops, if you have WiFi it can connect to the BIS and you can use your BB like you would normally.

How does that sound?
    i can confirm this as when i was roaming in thailand on holiday , i had no coverage , but was using BBM via wifi
    12-23-08 12:04 PM
    Just saying... I put the RIM Engineering BIOS on my phone and I have never had a data plan and BBM seems to work through wifi only!
    05-28-10 11:26 PM
    You must have data plan to use BBMessenger

GTalk will work on wifi and perhaps you can use it instead of BBMessenger?

Kris

Thanks, I was wondering this very thing & found your reply.
    06-27-10 01:43 PM
    how so if boost mobile blackberry phones BBM works and their service doesnt "contain" data plans

10-24-10 01:51 AM
    Just saying... I put the RIM Engineering BIOS on my phone and I have never had a data plan and BBM seems to work through wifi only!
    Where did you get that software from? I'd like to try that.
    11-16-10 07:46 PM
    Wire mesh, would It possible to tell me, how It is possible to download that? Would be really great!

02-27-11 12:15 PM
    Listen.....i realize form countless weeks of researching that, if you blackberry has the service books YOU WILL get access to bbm with wifi BUT you dont need a data plan....if your blackberry doesn't have the service books, your network carrier COULD and might be able to put the service books on your phone ONCE you have an email account set up on your blackberry (gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail, e.t.c) they will send you the service books via email....charges MAY but shouldn't happen for them to do this. ONCE YOU HAVE THE SERVICE BOOKS ON YOU CAN USE BBM WITHOUT A DATA PLAN....IF YOUR CARRIER PUTS THE SERVICE BOOKS ON YOUR PHONE IT SHOULDN'T DELETE WHEN YOU SWITCH THE PHONE OFF THEN ON AGAIN
    06-11-11 08:35 PM
    I would also like to know how to get this on my phone!
    I find some friends back home who work in the engineering department at RIM!
    08-24-11 08:39 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD