So I Get a Broadcast message From another fellow Cop, And it says:
    Important Notice From RIM::: Blackberry Messenger Will be down for roughly 72 hours to fix all the issues people are having with the service. Please Broadcast on so you can make other arrangements to contact the people needed in this time...

THAT Message Has Been Dubbed as SPAM. There is a server upgrade Scheduled on 3/28 @ 02-0600 EDT on That Day and time (Thanks Paul)

IGNORE THE SPAM MESSAGE
    03-27-10 07:12 PM
    Yup, it's as much spam as those messages which say "FBI confirmed" and "forward to everyone you know". It can have a pyramid effect and creates a denial of service attack if suckers ...erm Users... rebroadcast to multiple addresses.

Like all pyramid schemes it will grow exponentially and has only one outcome if it is allowed to develop unchecked. Catastrophic collapse of the transmission system is inevitable - so DON'T FORWARD IF YOU CAN'T VERIFY THE INFORMATION
    03-27-10 07:25 PM
    About 3 people on my list broadcasted that stupid message to me. I broadcasted
    my own to everyone on my list with the correct information as pointed out in
    Yester18's thread in the "Service Outages" section. As well as a parting shot of an
    insult to whomever it was that created the original SPAM message
    03-27-10 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD