Hey all,

This is my second post here and I have to say first,....you guys are all brilliant here. The stuff I have learned about my phone through this forum is light years ahead of anything Verizon can give me. I actually go to the store and EDUCATE the reps there! So thanks!

I'm still running .148 and am on my third phone. This time, the software seems to be the issue (first two were hardware issues) and am awaiting the update coming this Sunday to do anything crazy. My question is; I was told not to use the restore feature on DM....so how do I get my contacts back on BBM? I'm going to sync via outlook, but the BBM contacts are sync'ed via DM restore.....correct? I don't mind downloading everything individually so I'm just looking for the cleanest possible upgrade when it comes.

Also, I have DM v5.0 and can't find the files I need in order to delete the pushed images that come with the phone. Should I just remove v5.0 and reinstall 4.7? How can I also get rid of all the pushed crap like all the im stuff and anything else verizon feels as if I need on m phone? Just trying to get the most out of my storm because I don't want to go to the darkside and get an iPhone!! Thanks again ahead of time!
    10-23-09 06:26 PM
    You could download the new BBM 5.0 from the App World, which has a feature to back up your BBM contacts to a central RIM server so you can restore them later.
    10-23-09 06:34 PM
    You can back up your BBM contacts with the new BBM that was recently released. It is in the options menu. I don't know why you can't use the restore feature in DM, it's worked fine for me. You can't delete the pushed icons. They are coming via service books, but if you delete them they will return upon reboot, so it defeats the entire purpose.
    10-23-09 06:34 PM
    Thanks for the reply! When I was talking about the images....I wasn't talking about the homescreen icons.....I was talking about the OEM wallpapers. I was trying to follow the thread about deleting them but when I look up the application list of programs add/remove (on my laptop), I don't have the separate BB software, and BB DM......I just have BB DM v5 on there, and now way to remove the device 4.7 software. Then when I try to look for C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\Your OS\Java Folder.....I only get as far as ResearchInMotion. I don't have a shared folder under that folder. Any thoughts? Thanks again
    10-23-09 09:34 PM
    Do you have any OS's installed on your computer? You will only see the shared folder if you have installed any OS on your computer.
    10-23-09 09:35 PM
    Read and learn about Shrink-A-OS. It will allow you to delete any unwanted parts of the OS before loading it to your phone. Just be careful not to shrink out important parts..
    10-23-09 09:49 PM
    Use bb filescout. It will allow u to delete the oem media through your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 10:42 PM
    Hey all,

This is my second post here and I have to say first,....you guys are all brilliant here. The stuff I have learned about my phone through this forum is light years ahead of anything Verizon can give me. I actually go to the store and EDUCATE the reps there! So thanks!

I'm still running .148 and am on my third phone. This time, the software seems to be the issue (first two were hardware issues) and am awaiting the update coming this Sunday to do anything crazy. My question is; I was told not to use the restore feature on DM....so how do I get my contacts back on BBM? I'm going to sync via outlook, but the BBM contacts are sync'ed via DM restore.....correct? I don't mind downloading everything individually so I'm just looking for the cleanest possible upgrade when it comes.

Also, I have DM v5.0 and can't find the files I need in order to delete the pushed images that come with the phone. Should I just remove v5.0 and reinstall 4.7? How can I also get rid of all the pushed crap like all the im stuff and anything else verizon feels as if I need on m phone? Just trying to get the most out of my storm because I don't want to go to the darkside and get an iPhone!! Thanks again ahead of time!
    You can go to the advanced feature in backup and restore and only restore the features you want like contacts which will give you pretty clean install. Not much to be corrupt.

10-23-09 10:55 PM
    Please don't get an itoy (iphone) haha

No multitask, late emails, just to name a few..

Gosh this site has turned me into a BB snob haha

10-23-09 11:05 PM
    You guys know your stuff. Sorry to be asking such simple questions, but little by little.....I'm learning this stuff, and soon....I'll be able to help just like you have all helped me. I downloaded filescout, and deleted the OEM wallpapers, along with the song that came with the phone. Didn't see the proposed "5mb" gain however on battery pull. Seems as if this can only be acheived via the deleting of the files on the sofware in the laptop before it gets to the phone huh? I only have DM v5.0 installed now......it should carry .148 with it......correct? In other words....if I wipe the device via BBSAK, and then connect to DM,....I should be able to recovery my phone again....right? I'm just doing this so when the official release of 5.0 comes out....I can go smooth into a clean installation. Just trying to limit the times I have have to go over my entire phone setting up device settings. Thanks again guys!

P.S. I know the iPhone won't get e-mails right away, but it'll do everything I want this Storm to do right off the batt. Don't think I'm crossing over, but with each frustration point, it's just another point on the apple side (and I hate apple).
    10-24-09 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD