I've been setting up filters with the AT&T BIS and there seem to be some "stubborn" ones that don't seem to work.
    Here's an example. Address details are:

from Kohls.com <kohls@e.kohls.com>
    reply-to "Kohls.com" <support-buu6zepb59x74aaxeg647cs4wd9scd@e.kohls.com>
    to xxxxxxx@gmail.com
    date Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:39 AM
    subject A little Seuss goes a long way.
    mailed-by b.e.kohls.com
    signed-by e.kohls.com

I've tried entering kohls@e.kohls.com, b.e.kohls.com, and just kohls in "contains" for the "from: field". None of them stop these messages from going to my BB. I don't want to unsubscribe because I like to get them on my computer, just not on my BB.

Any suggestions? There are others that are similarly "stubborn". Any help or advice would be very welcome! BTW, I use gmail, in case that is important.
    01-25-10 03:58 PM
    I did all my filters on my gmail account. I have keep a copy and forward a copy to my blackberry address. I set my filters up in gmail to stop the emails to my gmail account that I don't want forwarded to my BB. Gmail filters also allows the test search so you know if you got it set the way you want. I use to have so many filters on the BIS BB account and when I switched to allow Gmail to take care of it my results were much better. Hope I did not confuse you.
    01-25-10 04:08 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. So you're saying I should not have my gmail go directly to my BB (as I currently have it set up) but use the BB mail address instead? It's been so long since I set it up I don't even remember how to set up the primary mail account. In fact, I think the person who sold me the phone at the AT&T store set it up for me.

I'll research this a bit more, but I'd really like to keep my current setup if possible, but just wondered why certain BIS filters are so stubborn and what (if anything) can be done about it. Anyone else have similar issues with BIS filters?
    01-26-10 11:35 AM
    another huge point for setting up filters on Gmail was when I had problems with my BB and tech support wanted to run some tests they said I would have to delete all my filters on the BIS in order for them to run diagnostics. So when I did some research I decided not only would it keep the filters off the BIS account the Gmail filter system worked better than what I had on my BIS account. Whatever you choose good luck!
    01-27-10 08:35 AM
    Thanks again for the advice. How do I switch? Is it something I can do myself? Any negatives I should be aware of?
    01-27-10 11:14 AM
    just move/rewrite all your filters to your Gmail account. Once you got them delete all filters on the BIS account. Now Gmail handles all the filters and spam. Like I said make sure you forward copy of email to your BB address and if something you get you don't want make a new filter for it in Gmail. I think it is easier to make changes with the Gmail setup and the spam works great so I don't and have not seen anything negative. The test on the filter function is great and you don't get that on the BIS so setting up a filter on the Gmail allows you to automatically check if you got it set the way you want.

Make sure in your BIS account under filter...
    When no filters apply: ?
    Forward messages to device

Enjoy!
    01-28-10 08:55 AM
    After reading this thread I decided to add some filters to my gmail which did not work. but as soon as I set them up in BIS...they did!
    Thanks for the idea to filter some of the crap off my bb. It works and now I don't have as nearly as many interruptions checking my email on my berry. I can always look on my pc in the evening and find all the non-essential items and delete them at that time.
    01-28-10 11:18 AM
    I'm playing around with different approaches. Not sure which way to go, since I do want to get these messages in my gmail on the computer, just not on by BB. I'll try having messages forwarded (through gmail filters) to my att.blackberry.net account and see how that goes. I figured out how to re-activate it.

But can anyone tell me, in the example above, which is the email address I should be filtering out? There are 4 different addresses:
    reply-to:
    mailed-by:
    signed-by:
    Which one should I use? And can it be a partial address? If so, do I need to use a wildcard?

Thanks!
    01-28-10 03:48 PM
    I think I've got it figured out sticking with my existing gmail (on the BB) setup. I kept the few BIS filters that have been consistently working. For the others, I set up new filters in gmail.

I made a label called "* skip BB" (the * forces it to the top of my list of labels). Example: for Borders emails, I have it filter for From: Borders and Doesn't Have: Order (so my BB will receive updates on orders placed but not ads/coupons), and I asked it to "Skip the Inbox" and apply the label "* skip BB" for the messages that fit the parameters.

That way, all these messages will end up in one place on my computer and, hopefully, not my BB!
    01-28-10 04:47 PM
    Back to the drawing board! :-(
    My idea didn't work. Messages were archived in gmail but still went to my BB. Guess I'll have to go back to using BIS filters, and/or maybe switch to ATT mail on my BB.

Anyone know which email address I should be filtering out in BIS? There are 4 different addresses on some messages:
    reply-to:
    mailed-by:
    signed-by:
    Which one should I use? And can it be a partial address (e.g., overstock)? If so, do I need to use a wildcard?

Thanks!
    01-29-10 12:25 PM
    I finally gave up and either changed email addresses on subscribed mailing lists to my hotmail account or just unsubscribed from some of them. Now I'm getting much less unwanted mail on my bb. :-) I just have to remember to check hotmail periodically for ads and coupons that I may want to see.
    03-05-10 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD