I'm an American Soldier stationed in Kuwait and I was looking into getting an unlocked Blackberry and some sort of prepaid SIM card with a data plan to BBM my friends and family back home (whether through an American or Kuwaiti provider). All I want to use it for is BBM. No calls. Do you have any suggestions? I've been looking everywhere for an affordable option with no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Phil DeLong and Eli_B like this.
    07-13-11 02:12 PM
    I'm an American Soldier stationed in Kuwait and I was looking into getting an unlocked Blackberry and some sort of prepaid SIM card with a data plan to BBM my friends and family back home (whether through an American or Kuwaiti provider). All I want to use it for is BBM. No calls. Do you have any suggestions? I've been looking everywhere for an affordable option with no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    First off, thank you for your service.

Found a telecom called Viva Kuwait that offers prepaid Blackberry Service:

BlackBerry - viva.com.kw

Looks like it is 14 Dinar, or $50 per 30 days. Gives you e-mail, messenger and browser. Other than that I doubt you'll find a US based pre-paid with good deals for overseas.

Can't speak for the quality of that carrier, but it sounds like this will give you what you need
    gabriel2088 likes this.
    07-13-11 02:55 PM
    I am not an American nor living in Kuwait, none the less, thank you for your service. I am currently living in the UAE so I can slightly imagine what the temperature is like where you are right now. I honestly don't know how you can survive. Salutations to you.
    gabriel2088 likes this.
    07-13-11 05:47 PM
    Hello.

If all you want to use is BBM, then you can opt for the LITE Package from Zain.

Welcome to Zain :: Kuwait

It's about 8 KWD a month and available on Prepaid.
    07-14-11 12:01 AM
    I can't help you out with your question specifically. However, I can offer you some advice that comes via a friend of mine who is also serving in Kuwait.

Be careful where and how you buy your sim card. My friend had a couple of buddies that used their credit card to buy prepaid sim cards. The next month when the bill came there were charges for the purchase of camels (the animal not the smokes).

I would use cash if possible.

I also thank you for your service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 06:08 AM
    Thanks for your service.

I cannothelp with sims and plans, but if you need a BlackBerry I have some spares hanging around.

07-14-11 08:15 AM
    Thanks for the caring and the advice. I'll try to be careful. Unfortunately, I don't see any other way than buying the SIM online with a card. I can't exactly go out to one of the local retailers down here.
    07-14-11 11:32 AM
    I know in lower income countries they have bbm only data plans. My friend in Scotland is getting her bb and has no Internet or email but has bbm through vodafone. Maybe try a route like that? And I know it's been said many times in this thread but thank you for letting me have my freedom due to service men and women like your self.

07-14-11 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD