04-08-11 01:49 PM
58 123
tools
    Well, you're already too late on this one. There is a Playstation phone about ready to be released internationally.
    ^^
    all im saying is, i dont need my qnx phone in 2012 to be capable of doing such stuff, but it should have smth new, smth nice
    cuz theres...always room for improvement

just having high expactations for qnx/2012 !
    cant wait

think qnx gonna destroy them all :P
    04-03-11 09:23 AM
    ^^
    all im saying is, i dont need my qnx phone in 2012 to be capable of doing such stuff, but it should have smth new, smth nice
    cuz theres...always room for improvement

just having high expactations for qnx/2012 !
    cant wait

think qnx gonna destroy them all :P
    I don't think implementation of QNX for handsets is going to be on the time schedule that people want. My fear is the jump from OS 6.1 to full QNX. I just don't see a smooth transition from the legacy BB OS to QNX. There have been way too many stopgap devices and OSs since OS 4.7. I just see too many devices getting left behind yet again before QNX is fully integrated.
    04-03-11 12:43 PM
    we'll see what happens, i just hope its gonna be huge and a great success for RIM
    and i dont think what you mentioned will be such a problem, pple are ready for this, we're all just waiting
    only time will tell
    04-03-11 12:53 PM
    we'll see what happens, i just hope its gonna be huge and a great success for RIM
    and i dont think what you mentioned will be such a problem, pple are ready for this, we're all just waiting
    only time will tell
    Like I said, people have been waiting for a grand overhaul of BB OS since the transition from OS 4.7 to OS 5.0, let alone the same promise from OS 5.0 to OS 6.0 and soon OS 6.1.
    04-03-11 01:02 PM
    IMO, the UI is great. When I saw BB6 on the promo video (with the infamous B.E.P. playing), it looked awesome.

Once it actually released on the Torch and we saw it in real time, we saw that it wasn't as smooth as was shown. It's definitely the hardware holding it back. So if they're addressing that it could be great.

Here's the same promo video with an interesting rap on it if you don't like BEP

I think the new features and 6.1 icons will give it a great polish on top.
    I fully agree! I really love the BB UI, Hardware is the only thing holding it back.

I do NOT like the app launching /switching UI of iOS, nor am I impressed with Samsung or HTC's Android UI's.
    Just give me some better hardware so there is smoother transitions,
    04-03-11 01:19 PM
    I fully agree! I really love the BB UI, Hardware is the only thing holding it back.

I do NOT like the app launching /switching UI of iOS, nor am I impressed with Samsung or HTC's Android UI's.
    I used to not mind the BB UI..but since moving on..I find it actually very blah. Apple is by far the worst..with pages of apps and that's it..but BB's are only a slight improvement on that. Other than Berryweather..it's the same 4 icons on the bottom..which you slide up to "reveal" your other apps. Hardly groundbreaking or "eye candy" imo. The only way BB's would ever win me back is if they allow more customization and implement things like widgets..or something other than app launching.
    K Bear likes this.
    04-03-11 04:23 PM

I have a feeling it will be a very good transitional OS to QNX ...bottom line, it'll be better than 6.0 and not as good as QNX so whadda ya gonna do? Wait at least another year if not longer waiting for QNX and for that matter, 4G (which most major metro cities won't have until NEXT year anyhow, as for me, I'll take the chance with a Bold Touch in June and wait til 2013 and pick up a 4G QNX OS BlackBerry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-11 04:30 PM
    I used to not mind the BB UI..but since moving on..I find it actually very blah. Apple is by far the worst..with pages of apps and that's it..but BB's are only a slight improvement on that. Other than Berryweather..it's the same 4 icons on the bottom..which you slide up to "reveal" your other apps. Hardly groundbreaking or "eye candy" imo. The only way BB's would ever win me back is if they allow more customization and implement things like widgets..or something other than app launching.
    I remedied that a little by nudging the menu up one row for 8 icons. Ok, so it's not much more exciting ... but having 8 of your most commonly used shortcuts instantly available and still have something of a wallpaper image showing is better than 4. And in OS 6, you can put web link shortcuts on the Home screen. I have a few on the main screen, and another folder full of them; so instead of opening up the browser and going to Bookmarks to get to a frequently-visited site, you can just pop a link directly. There are also a few apps that let you customize those shortcuts with custom icons. Not saying that will win you back, but it isn't all plain vanilla.

And yep, those are 6.1 icons.

04-03-11 04:44 PM
    Definitely sounds like the best new feature to me. I really want to see RIM get the full potential outta that new hardware. It sounds like they'll be using the Qualcomm MSM8655 and I know the Adreno 205 GPUs on board seem perfectly capable of some nice hardware acceleration. If they do it right then I will agree with Jim B. that 6.1 will be a "major upgrade".

While the appearance of the software might not look totally different at first glance, I think it will make more of an impact when seen in action.
    Please is the Qualcom chip Dual core?
    They said qnx would come to bbs when they are dual core processors and since the LG Optimus 2x we have had wave of dual core phones, i cant keep tab on all of them ...

And i beg to differ about the major upgrade 6.1 if it is it would be 7 not 6.1 7 would be a major upgrade, To me this is not an overall i have seen the differences and not a major upgrde, a step in the right update i know people here are pro-RIM lets be honest here, this sint a major upgrade

We have seen some videos also, which says this is a minor update
    04-03-11 05:06 PM
    To me this is not an major upgrade i have seen the differences

Liquid graphics
    Beter Web browser
    Customizing home
    New icons
    Better visual keyboard,
    and so on...
    Not an overhaul or major update to me, if it is it would be 7 not 6.1 we all know 7 is the major upgrade.
    Adding an icon, or liquid graphics wont make it a major upgrade , from my 9700 to 9780 where i had bb 6 from bb os 5, the difference wasnt so much, to be completely honest, though nice but still 5 to 6 was not a major upgrade, no way 6 to 6.1 could be

Rim said we need dual core processor for qnx in phones and we have the dual core processors already

I wanted to go from 9780 to bold touch but i wont since i dont know whether it is dual core or not, and whether it would support os 7 when it is out so i would have to wait .
    but i think the os 7 should be released in the fall.
    04-03-11 05:12 PM
    i think 6.1 kinda is a major upgrade and qnx(os7) is something completely new (i know its a mix between QNX+6.1) but... still something completely new obviously

i dont know, but im pretty sure bold touch wont be dual core, and therefore i doubt its gonna support os 7, but these are just guesses
    04-03-11 05:17 PM
    To me this is not an major upgrade i have seen the differences

Liquid graphics
    Beter Web browser
    Customizing home
    New icons
    Better visual keyboard,
    and so on...
    Not an overhaul or major update to me, if it is it would be 7 not 6.1 we all know 7 is the major upgrade.
    Adding an icon, or liquid graphics wont make it a major upgrade , from my 9700 to 9780 where i had bb 6 from bb os 5, the difference wasnt so much, to be completely honest, though nice but still 5 to 6 was not a major upgrade, no way 6 to 6.1 could be

Rim said we need dual core processor for qnx in phones and we have the dual core processors already

I wanted to go from 9780 to bold touch but i wont since i dont know whether it is dual core or not, and whether it would support os 7 when it is out so i would have to wait .
    but i think the os 7 should be released in the fall.
    Liquid Graphics is not just a pretty skin on a UI, it's graphics acceleration technology. This in itself is a pretty significant enhancement over 6.0. 6.1 has improvements that go beyond just throwing a faster processor in the box. It may not look all that different aside from freshened-up icons, but there'll be a lot more going on under the hood.

Bold Touch and all the other devices coming later this year will not have dual-core processors and will not support OS 7. Personally, as I've said before, we don't know exactly when OS 7 devices will drop, and we don't know what form factor(s) the first ones will be. So when the 6.1 phones arrive, I plan on grabbing one knowing full well it will be the end of the road for the 'old' BB OS core. These things won't be slouches.
    04-03-11 06:02 PM
    OS6.1 is more about the hardware not software in my opinion, the hardware gets the major overhaul. For blackberry tho, not compared with Androids. In that respect they'll always be a step behind but that's ok with me, I want to use proven tech and not jump head first into latest tech.

04-04-11 05:32 AM
    I remedied that a little by nudging the menu up one row for 8 icons. Ok, so it's not much more exciting ... but having 8 of your most commonly used shortcuts instantly available and still have something of a wallpaper image showing is better than 4.
    Why have 8 when you can have 10? (or 30 actually..since the bottom row is scrollable and I have 5 more icons on the left and right of my "home" row)

My bottom row icons allow for both a tap to launch the application, and a swipe to launch a secondary application. Thus..with 5 icons I can launch 10 different functions. For example..I tap my Apps icon for my application list, or swipe the icon for my Email.

I'm somewhat of a minamalist..and like to keep my screens really neat and tidy.

04-04-11 07:53 AM
    I can get to everything I need in two seconds, what's the big deal. I use the standard theme.

04-04-11 08:28 AM
    Let's see ... it took Microsoft and Apple entirely new releases to integrate hardware acceleration into their OS's. So no, I guess it's not much of an overhaul.
    Adding hardware Accelleration isn't really an overhaul. That can theoretically be patched into the OS.

I guess they are calling it an overhaul because they are doing a bunch of smaller patches in there.

TBQH, it probably would have benefitted them more to just put out one dual core Blackberry and put all that development time towards QNX for smartphones.
    04-04-11 03:10 PM
    Adding hardware Accelleration isn't really an overhaul. That can theoretically be patched into the OS.

I guess they are calling it an overhaul because they are doing a bunch of smaller patches in there.

TBQH, it probably would have benefitted them more to just put out one dual core Blackberry and put all that development time towards QNX for smartphones.
    My assumption is that the completion of development of dual-core QNX phones is going to take longer than RIM is willing to wait to introduce something new. There could be any number of reasons for that -- anything from chip manufacturers to finalize components based on certain specs to the software development to take maximum advantage of those components. Even if they threw all their resources at it, there are likely pieces of the process that are out of their control.

As the saying goes, nine women can't make a baby in a month.
    04-04-11 05:46 PM
    Pinch to zoom. You know? Like Apple did 4 years ago.
    04-04-11 05:48 PM
    How is it not an overhaul? don't make your assumptions based on the UI:

mobile hotspot - did it exist before?
    liquid graphics - did it exist before?
    OpenGL support - did it exist before?
    magnometer - did it exist before?
    digital compass - did it exist before?

Those alone make 6.1 way better than anything RIM has ever released and is in no way shape or form a 5.0 to 6.0 type upgrade.
    04-04-11 08:00 PM
    not to mention the fact that this means RIM will now be a player in the ever growing augmented reality app scene!
    04-04-11 08:01 PM
    openGL did exist before actually. only on CDMA hardware though because the processors for GSM devices didnt support it
    04-04-11 08:05 PM
    Pinch to zoom. You know? Like Apple did 4 years ago.
    don't forget picture messaging and copy and paste like they did four years ago too...oh wait.

Harry_Yambag and Bobcat665 like this.
    04-04-11 10:42 PM
    openGL did exist before actually. only on CDMA hardware though because the processors for GSM devices didnt support it
    Which is why Liquid Graphics could have been patched into OS6, and not held off for OS6.1 so they can call it an overhaul.
    04-05-11 01:00 PM

For me the UI is so great, I have Time/ Which Cell network I am connected to, which Wifi network I am connected to, the number of unread emails into 4 digits, icons for BBM's txts, msns and the like, with numbers, and then I can rotate between my various screens along the bottom, ( wish they were a little more customized) but "eye candy" and such are not things I am after from my UI, getting as much information at a glance and then getting to it quickly is what I want out of my user interface. Universal search from just typing from the home screen is such a useful feature, keyboard navigation within my email, again a major useful feature of the User Interface. with the addition of quick launch it just gets better and better.

I don't really know what else I would want as a live widget on my screen, maybe a live score of Olympic medal counts... or all NHL games currently playing... or Stocks reports, ok I can think of widgets I'd use..
    Though I still stand that I like BBOS 5 even more than I like Android on the HTC Legend, and OS6 took it even a step further than OS5
    04-05-11 07:31 PM
    I am so excited about the Magnetometer support in 6.1 devices. Nearly all android devices (and iphone) have it since ages...
    04-05-11 10:39 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD