04-08-11 01:49 PM
58 123
tools
    Perhaps someone could provide me with some links to articles about the upcoming 6.1 OS- what I read was that it was going to be "an entire overhaul", yet the video of the Monaco and Bold Touch "leaked walkthroughs" show essentially the same 6.0 layout with some added features (like icons to access contact book/calendar/etc right from call screen- which I like...but...)

Is it an overhaul because it [could be/is] QNX? Because "entire overhaul" to me sounded like UI

Would love some more information if you have it!
    04-02-11 04:47 PM
    2011 BlackBerry Smartphone Roadmap Explained in Detail | CrackBerry.com

starts somewhere in the middle
    and no, its not QNX, unfortunately : (
    QNX (also known as 7.0 will be out in 2012 and will contain the best features from QNX and 6.1)
    Last edited by Seijuro; 04-02-11 at 04:52 PM.
    04-02-11 04:49 PM
    2011 BlackBerry Smartphone Roadmap Explained in Detail | CrackBerry.com

starts somewhere in the middle
    and no, its not QNX, unfortunately : (
    QNX (also known as 7.0 will be out in 2012 and will contain the best features from QNX and 6.1)
    Thanks! Here are the bits about OS 6.1:

- Faster User Experience - In addition to the snappier experience of more CPU power in the next generation of BlackBerry hardware, RIM is implementing something they have dubbed "Liquid Graphics" which optimizes the graphics pipeline and BlackBery Java apps to offer increases in frames per second performance with instant UI action/response, fluid animations, etc. It should be the best touchscreen experience yet. In 6.1 it supports high resolution (24 bit color) graphics across all apps, and it leverages the hardware and architecture to reduce UI Lag and Latency.

- Improved Web Browsing - The new browser will leverage the increased processing power and hardware-enabled graphics acceleration to provide what RIM is touting to be industry leading performance.
    - More Powerful Search - The Universal Search of BlackBerry 6 is going to be extended to now enable Voice-enabled Universal Search. There will also be graphical tweaks here to improve US.

- Greater Personalization - You'll be able to manage the Home Screen panes of BlackBerry 6 (disable/hide different views like Media, Favorites, etc. as you wish.

- Enhanced Virtual Keyboard on Touchscreen Devices - Expect a better virtual keyboard with single entry point for numbers/symbols from alphabetical mode, and improved visuals to show temporary states and to hide the keyboard.

Also listed a little further down is WiFi Mobile Hotspot, which I'm assuming will be included with the OS.

I think the real leap here over 6.0 will be Liquid Graphics, which, in conjunction with higher-end hardware, should speed everything up significantly.
    04-02-11 06:00 PM
    I think the real leap here over 6.0 will be Liquid Graphics, which, in conjunction with higher-end hardware, should speed everything up significantly.
    Definitely sounds like the best new feature to me. I really want to see RIM get the full potential outta that new hardware. It sounds like they'll be using the Qualcomm MSM8655 and I know the Adreno 205 GPUs on board seem perfectly capable of some nice hardware acceleration. If they do it right then I will agree with Jim B. that 6.1 will be a "major upgrade".

While the appearance of the software might not look totally different at first glance, I think it will make more of an impact when seen in action.
    04-02-11 06:22 PM
    In addition what 18to12fitty's has posted here are few others like support for NFC, Open GL ES 2.0, Augmented reality APIs, also speculated feature of storing apps on the device flash memory against RAM and lastly support for improved new hardware like processors and screen resolutions.
    04-02-11 06:52 PM
    thank you guys That clarifies things for me...I am a teeny bit disappointed that there wont be large changes to the UI, but that's what themes are for ;-)
    04-02-11 07:06 PM
    Also seems like OS6.1 will be getting rid of the PIN system and integrating everything with Blackberry ID.

Plus, some new augmented reality and Open G.L. possibilities.
    And that picture tagging thing that showed up on N4BB today, plus some other interesting features (I'm assuming what was under the icons blacked out in the Monaco hands-on picture released a day or two ago)
    04-02-11 07:17 PM
    this is NOT an overhaul by any means.....only qnx will be an overhaul
    I would think it will seem like an overhaul with the improved hardware. Mayb not but that would seem logical
    04-02-11 09:37 PM
    Hey guys,

do u think RIM makes it possible to update OS 6.1 to QNX later? Cause i dpnt want to buy a phone with system which lasts only for a year....
    04-02-11 10:21 PM
    do u think RIM makes it possible to update OS 6.1 to QNX later? Cause i dpnt want to buy a phone with system which lasts only for a year....
    With the direction RIM seems to be taking, multicore processors will be required for their QNX OS. I believe the upcoming 6.1 Blackberrys have the potential to run a form of QNX but not the way RIM wants to.

So in my opinion, the soon to be released Blackberrys will not run QNX. But I still think they'll be awesome devices regardless. I'd recommend doing a 1 year upgrade this time around just in case....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 11:02 PM
    Also seems like OS6.1 will be getting rid of the PIN system and integrating everything with Blackberry ID.
    Makes sense, given the Android-app compatibility & supposed cross-platform BBM
    04-02-11 11:11 PM
    It's not an overhaul. That's the same claim that was made when they went from 5 to 6 and that turned out to be not much more that a new skin.

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    Let's see ... it took Microsoft and Apple entirely new releases to integrate hardware acceleration into their OS's. So no, I guess it's not much of an overhaul.
    04-02-11 11:11 PM
    Liquid Graphics = Glass Icons

I'm actually more worried that OS7 won't be an overhaul. The last thing they said is that it'll be a mesh of the beat of OS6.1 and QNX. That scares me a bit because the UI is still a concern to people.
    Machzy likes this.
    04-02-11 11:45 PM

I'm actually more worried that OS7 won't be an overhaul. The last thing they said is that it'll be a mesh of the beat of OS6.1 and QNX. That scares me a bit because the UI is still a concern to people.
    IMO, the UI is great. When I saw BB6 on the promo video (with the infamous B.E.P. playing), it looked awesome.

Once it actually released on the Torch and we saw it in real time, we saw that it wasn't as smooth as was shown. It's definitely the hardware holding it back. So if they're addressing that it could be great.

Here's the same promo video with an interesting rap on it if you don't like BEP

I think the new features and 6.1 icons will give it a great polish on top.
    04-02-11 11:58 PM
    The last thing they said is that it'll be a mesh of the beat of OS6.1 and QNX.
    Mesh of the beat? Did you type that on an iPhone?

04-03-11 12:01 AM

Well remember, the UI is just a tiny piece of the whole OS. They can add whatever new functionality the underlying OS supports while keeping a familiar look-and-feel in the front end. I really like BB's UI myself. There are things that I wish were more personalize-able that didn't require installing a whole new theme, but I believe some of that will be addressed in 6.1. Maybe it's just that I'm so familiar with it by now, but I find it very easy and intuitive to do whatever I need to get done. I would not want to see that altered too drastically just for the sake of change. There are supposedly some changes coming to the UI in 6.1, and I'm thinking a lot of that will get carried over to OS7, at least initially.
    04-03-11 12:07 AM
    Mesh of the beat? Did you type that on an iPhone?

HAHAHA, yep, I meant "mesh of the best". It's late, gimme a break. Lol
    04-03-11 12:21 AM
    HAHAHA, yep, I meant "mesh of the best". It's late, gimme a break. Lol
    Lol, this reminds me, on blackberry uk facebook page there's this guy always telling people how much better his iphone4 is. Last week he wanted to say whatsapp is as good as bbm but instead he wrote whatsapp is "ad good ***" bbm lol

04-03-11 01:46 AM

thats what worried me as well when i read about the "highlander"-project and still kinda worries me, but lets just hope for the best
    as i said in another thread, i want the QNX phones to be not just standard by the time they come out, i want them to be something more, better, with many surprises = )
    we'll see what happens, just hope its gonna be awesome
    04-03-11 03:39 AM
    thats what worried me as well when i read about the "highlander"-project and still kinda worries me, but lets just hope for the best
    as i said in another thread, i want the QNX phones to be not just standard by the time they come out, i want them to be something more, better, with many surprises = )
    we'll see what happens, just hope its gonna be awesome
    Lol, what more do we want from smartphones? They more or less have reached as high as they can go, the rest is just cosmetics. I mean really, what more do you want a phone to be able to do? Fly a plane or something?

04-03-11 03:48 AM
    Lol, what more do we want from smartphones? They more or less have reached as high as they can go, the rest is just cosmetics. I mean really, what more do you want a phone to be able to do? Fly a plane or something?

thats not what i meant, but obviously theres always room for improvement, by no means have they reached as high as they can go
    i dont want these phones to transform into a playstation or stuff like that, but i'd like them to have some additional niice-factors
    i want them to be extremely fast, smooth, awesome hardware and stuff like that

i finally want a flash player on my phone and yea, guess what im trying to say is, i just dont want qnx to be "outdated" by the time its released, and 2-3 little surprises would be nice too : )
    04-03-11 04:01 AM
    There is nothing definite so far beyond a few passing comments about qnx being geared towards dualcore processors, but realistically dualcore won't be suited to midrange or lowend products in early to mid 2012 so either they are going to have to continue to develop the legacy bbos for such devices or come out with a qnx lite for single core processors.

You would think that the latter would make more sense in the long run so maybe the os6.1 devices will get some kind of upgrade later on, after all 1.2ghz processors won't exactly be slow in a year's time.
    04-03-11 08:58 AM
    There is nothing definite so far beyond a few passing comments about qnx being geared towards dualcore processors, but realistically dualcore won't be suited to midrange or lowend products in early to mid 2012 so either they are going to have to continue to develop the legacy bbos for such devices or come out with a qnx lite for single core processors.

You would think that the latter would make more sense in the long run so maybe the os6.1 devices will get some kind of upgrade later on, after all 1.2ghz processors won't exactly be slow in a year's time.
    im not exactly sure about that, somehow it sounds more like its gonna be a complete new chapter for rim
    and for the continuation you have to purchase one of these new devices

i could be wrong tho, to be honest i dont really care, imma get 'em alll ahhhh oo
    04-03-11 09:02 AM
    RIM did say they had a hard time getting QNX to play nice with their old processor camp prior to TI stepping in. That leads me to believe that no matter how "hardware transparent and super duper dynamic" QNX is at the core, it's still a hardware hog to some extent. After all, if it truly is dynamic in what it can run on, it shouldn't give a rat's you know what if it ran on a 600-800MHz single core or a 1GHz dual core with different instruction sets. I'm just saying... QNX isn't like water, despite what RIM would have you believe.
    Machzy likes this.
    04-03-11 09:10 AM
    thats not what i meant, but obviously theres always room for improvement, by no means have they reached as high as they can go
    i dont want these phones to transform into a playstation or stuff like that, but i'd like them to have some additional niice-factors...
    Well, you're already too late on this one. There is a Playstation phone about ready to be released internationally.
    04-03-11 09:16 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD