I know, its been talked about. If I missed this exact discussion, I apologize. Here it is:

SmartGuard just tweeted RIM is in fact tracking us. BUT, its its an easy to find menu option in GPS/Location menu called Location Data. Basically saying it collected your location data for quicker usage. Now my question (which SmartGuard did not expand on at all) is this stored on RIM's servers or the handheld themselves?

I really don't care about this because its not hidden and it can be disabled and guess what? All GPS functions still work. I mean, you use any Google App, you are being harvested so... Luckily we can atleast control that via 3rd Party App permissions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-11 11:09 AM
    I know, its been talked about. If I missed this exact discussion, I apologize. Here it is:

SmartGuard just tweeted RIM is in fact tracking us. BUT, its its an easy to find menu option in GPS/Location menu called Location Data. Basically saying it collected your location data for quicker usage. Now my question (which SmartGuard did not expand on at all) is this stored on RIM's servers or the handheld themselves?

I really don't care about this because its not hidden and it can be disabled and guess what? All GPS functions still work. I mean, you use any Google App, you are being harvested so... Luckily we can atleast control that via 3rd Party App permissions.

it really depends on how you look at it i think.

1. utilizing RIM's BIS/BES services also filters your information to them.
    2. GPS is for satellite use for location aiding and direction mapping
    3. Voice/Data services are usually transmitting signals via cell towers, or in some cases via wi-fi connection (UMA services)

so regardless, i believe with the amounts of data transfer between your mobile device, and cell towers, anyone can be tracked by their providers.

as for RIM tracking via geolocation/gps... if disabled, probably not? however, there are other services of RIM we do utilize such as PIN/BBM/BIS/BES that could potentially provide them with enough information to track you down. that pretty much applies to any mobile device. information needs to go from point A to point B.

if you know how to access the network engineering screen on your mobile device, you can actually see the distances/signal strengths of cell towers to your mobile device, which can be used to determine your general location.

but hey, i'm more of a conspiracy theorist, so the gears in this mind are constantly thinking "what if"...

but to me, it makes sense, or possible i lack too much sleep to think straight.

i hope this provided some insight to your inquiry, from one consumer to another. and i hope i did not veer completely off topic.

kindest regards.
    06-08-11 11:35 AM
    No, those were all great points. It actually just confirmed how much all of this has been blown out of proportion.

But I guess, the whole Apple and Google deal was more of storing past locations, and I kind of think thats what this article was getting at. But then we are into that whole "how long is this info stored?" type stuff.

I guess for this subject, I'm just curious about the point SmartGuard raised about this specific Location Data feature, if its stored via RIM or the device itself.
    06-08-11 12:11 PM
    Everyone is being tracked all the time buy carriers and by app developers

issues with google and apple where how information was being used, and how it was being passed to 3rd parties, or 3rd parties being privy to the information,

Currently RIM does not distribute or sell information, if they did, they wouldn't have fought such a fight in the middle east with servers.

BUT we never know that could change
    06-08-11 01:52 PM
    I would hope that they can track me. Some features in BlackBerry Protect would be useless if they couldn't.
    06-08-11 02:39 PM
    I'm not worried about being tracked by RIM even if they did. I have nothing to hide.

06-10-11 05:51 PM
    We are being tracked by satellite?!

Drat! Now what am I going to do?

I had to give up my tin cans and string because the other person could determine my whereabouts.

Smoke signals did keep me hidden any better.

Guess I have no choice but to crawl under a rock and have no contact with anyone at all.

06-10-11 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD