When I send an SMS message to one of my BBM contacts the reply appears as a BBM message. When I reply from BBM, he receives an SMS message. I am using version 5.0.0.681 os on a Curve 8900, he is using version 4 os on an 8310. I don't get the D for delivered or R for read, just like I sent a text. The thread is also in my SMS folder. So, am I sending a text when I reply or a BBM message?
    07-29-10 04:30 PM
    There's 2 ways this could happen

1- go into BBM, hit the bb button, options, and under chat disable 'show chats in messages application'

2- the contact may be 'linked' if so, scroll to said contact, bb button, scroll to unlink contact.
    07-29-10 08:28 PM
    When I send an SMS message to one of my BBM contacts the reply appears as a BBM message. When I reply from BBM, he receives an SMS message. I am using version 5.0.0.681 os on a Curve 8900, he is using version 4 os on an 8310. I don't get the D for delivered or R for read, just like I sent a text. The thread is also in my SMS folder. So, am I sending a text when I reply or a BBM message?
    If you initiated the convo in SMS, the entire thread will be SMS even though it's visible in BBM and you're replying in BBM. You can confirm that by the 160 character limit noted in the top-left corner.

Like Nozzles stated, it's because the contact is linked. When you unlink the contact, their PIN will be deleted from their contact info, meaning you can't PIN them from your address book. You can still send them a PIN if you manually enter it. If you reinstate the PIN to their contact info - after you've unlinked them - the next time you reboot, BBM will link them again.

Also, be warned: If you end the convo in BBM, it will delete the entire thread in SMS. The only way around this is to unlink the contact and do not reenter their PIN in their contact info. After they're unlinked, reboot. They're convo should remain intact in SMS and be removed from BBM. Also, you'll notice different icons in SMS. If they're unlinked, the icon is a bubble. If they're linked, the icon is a phone.

I'm not liking this at all. I surely hope RIM does away with this silly SMS / BBM linking thing in the future. They need to be separate.
    07-29-10 10:50 PM
    I surely hope RIM does away with this silly SMS / BBM linking thing in the future. They need to be separate.
    This has been addressed in the beta.
    07-30-10 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD