I'm running OS 330 from T-mobile. Recently, I just found out a way to put my friend's contact phone number for SMS in BBM. Since I'm getting tired of going to the address book every time I want to send SMS, I thought it was pretty cool. Then this problem came out. When I receive and send an SMS, the contact will appear in 'Chats' category in the BBM just like normal BBM messages. But, when I'm done and do the 'End Chat', it also delete the messages. Is there a way to 'End Chat' and keep the messages? Or save the SMS message history just like in the BBM message?
    Last edited by DriftKido; 01-22-10 at 11:17 PM.
    01-22-10 10:38 PM
    its just like ending/deleting a regular sms chat.
    01-22-10 10:45 PM
    yeah, but if I do that all my previous messages with that contact will be gone. I want to keep those messages because sometimes I need to review some specs or details in the messages.
    Is it because I'm running older OS version?
    01-22-10 10:52 PM
    when you delete any message in BBM or in SMS, it will delete the whole "thread". in the older non 5.0 OS's, you can delete messages independently of eachother. now that they are all threaded style, they all get deleted at once.
    01-22-10 11:13 PM
    I think that feature is rather annoying, I don't like my sms showing under chats in BBM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 11:13 PM
    I think that feature is rather annoying, I don't like my sms showing under chats in BBM.

then delete their PIN from under their contact profile. it will always do this when their BBM screen name is linked to your phonebook via PIN.
    01-22-10 11:16 PM
    then delete their PIN from under their contact profile. it will always do this when their BBM screen name is linked to your phonebook via PIN.
    Its easier to just unlink them. Highlight the contact in bbm>menu>unlink contact.

01-23-10 12:34 AM
    Its easier to just unlink them. Highlight the contact in bbm>menu>unlink contact.

when you link someone, i think it automatically populates their PIN into your contact list. when you unlink it, does it automatically delete it from the contact list? if so, then yea just do that.
    01-23-10 04:00 AM
    when you delete any message in BBM or in SMS, it will delete the whole "thread". in the older non 5.0 OS's, you can delete messages independently of eachother. now that they are all threaded style, they all get deleted at once.
    Okay, so I figured out how to save the SMS history while at the same time removing the SMS thread from BBM. I had linked a friend's BBM and immediately regretted it because I didn't want to have to delete our thread, but was tired of keeping an open "chat" on BBM indefinitely.

Okay, so first thing you need to do is to unlink the contact from BBM. Go to their name on the BBM, hit the BB button and select "Remove Contacts Link." Just to confirm that it's been removed, go to their name in your contacts and ensure that there's no pin listed for them.

At this point, if you haven't ended the chat, their SMS thread will still be appearing in your BBM open chats section. Now, power the phone off and on again. Once it's back on, the SMS thread will no longer appear in your BBM open chats thread, and only under your SMS section.

Voila, now you don't have to delete your entire SMS history just because you don't like the clutter of having all of these open chats in BBM. I'm sure some don't care, but for me, I actually like keeping text messages, particularly from loved ones. For the record, I note that others had said that you need to remove the contacts link, but I hadn't seen any messages regarding how to save the thread.

Hope someone finds this helpful!
    05-09-10 02:16 AM
    THANK YOU! This has been annoying me since I first noticed it

05-09-10 04:08 AM
    Yep, this feature is something I don't like as well. Now the only question I have is how do you put a picture back on the bbm contact once it is unlinked.

05-09-10 09:42 AM
    I just save the picture from the BBM contact ("contact profile --> save image") and then manually assign it to the contact.
    05-09-10 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD