Yes, I've actually read threads where we have people on crackberry now calling QR Codes "bbm codes"...

Anyway, regardless...I just realized something tonight. Back before BBM5.0 officially came out, a "leaked" version came out, as the majority of us know. And it was somewhat different than this "official" version, right? Right.

Well, also as the majority of us know (and knew back then), there are many websites available to make our own QR Codes for various things such as URLs, sms's, e-mails, plain text, etc etc. Back then when we had leaked 5.0, I created a QR code from a website, just messing around, and chose the "plain text" option...I am currently at a job I rather hate, so I simply typed up a personal motivational QR Code which read something along the lines of "ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU WILL ONE DAY LOOK BACK AT THIS TIME IN YOUR LIFE AND LAUGH AT WHAT A *****, POINTLESS AND OVERALL MEANINGLESS JOB YOU HAD!". You know, something like that.

I posted this QR Code in my journal over at livejournal.com, after hosting it to my photobucket account.

THE POINT OF ALL THIS: When I did this, I did it for myself, just to test the bbm 5.0 scanning of QR codes and have some fun. It worked. When I would scan it, a simple text box would pop up on my Bold displaying the text I had entered for it to say.

I just went back to this QR Code with OFFICIAL BBM 5.0...and it doesn't ever pop up, no matter the distance I try to scan with, or how still I am. I tried several times.

So...my question is...why would RIM practically downgrade this part of BBM when officially releasing 5.0, when it is obviously very capable and easy to do. I have heard people say 5.0 can only scan phone numbers and url's and whatnot...so, what, it can no longer handle text? Why not? Why downgrade it? I don't get it.

Is there a url to download that "leaked bbm 5.0" version again so I can test this to see if it works on that version again like it used to?
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-12-09 at 11:51 PM. Reason: profanity
    10-12-09 10:45 PM
    i've done that too, being cute with my girlfriend, making an "i love you" qr code that worked with BBM 5.0.0.8, and upon upgrading to the new one, we noticed its not so easy to do anymore, in fact, we can't do it at all.
    10-12-09 11:41 PM
    That makes me sad. My barcode I used to post would say "Hah. Now PM me for my PIN" when you scanned it.
    10-12-09 11:45 PM
    that makes no sence at all. i still have 5.0.0.8. whats the difference with the latest bbm?
    10-12-09 11:51 PM
    the saddest thing is that alot of teens and not even that i mean people that arent into technology as much are gonna call QR codes BBM codes,

LOL

watch and see
    10-12-09 11:56 PM
    i've done that too, being cute with my girlfriend, making an "i love you" qr code that worked with BBM 5.0.0.8, and upon upgrading to the new one, we noticed its not so easy to do anymore, in fact, we can't do it at all.
    Yeah, this kind of sucks.. Wish I just at least knew why, you know?
    Hmm..

That makes me sad. My barcode I used to post would say "Hah. Now PM me for my PIN" when you scanned it.
    Lol. Yeah it is sad. I just don't get why they'd take that ability away.

the saddest thing is that alot of teens and not even that i mean people that arent into technology as much are gonna call QR codes BBM codes,

LOL

watch and see
    Yes, they're already doing it lol.
    10-13-09 01:28 PM
    However, I downloaded NeoReader today. From BB Browser just go to get.neoreader.com and it works great. It also keeps a history of all scans.
    10-13-09 03:05 PM
    10-13-09 03:41 PM
    This whole time i've been worrying it was just my phone. Thank god other people are having this. YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I REINSTALLED BBM!!!! Sheesh, i even asked people on here and they didn't even reply.

I feel like an *** now
    10-13-09 04:04 PM
    that makes no sence at all. i still have 5.0.0.8. whats the difference with the latest bbm?
    The leaked version of BBM was 5.0.0.8 the Official version is 5.0.0.33
    10-13-09 04:07 PM
    Ok neoreader works really well...but it points you to the browser for everything
    10-13-09 04:12 PM
    However, I downloaded NeoReader today. From BB Browser just go to get.neoreader.com and it works great. It also keeps a history of all scans.
    Hmm I'll check it out. Is it free also? Quick and simple like bbm?

This whole time i've been worrying it was just my phone. Thank god other people are having this. YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I REINSTALLED BBM!!!! Sheesh, i even asked people on here and they didn't even reply.

I feel like an *** now
    Lol yeah don't worry, I guess they just decided to randomly downgrade the abilities of the bbm scanner. I don't know. I still can't figure out why.

Ok neoreader works really well...but it points you to the browser for everything
    Aww, really? Great...that doesn't sound too fun in my opinion. Maybe I'll still need to check it out though.
    10-13-09 10:01 PM
    i dont know about any of you, but im willing to pay the genius who can figure out how to rip the QR Code reader from the leaked BBM and bundle it as a standalone app.

Who's with me?
    10-14-09 01:14 AM
    i dont know about any of you, but im willing to pay the genius who can figure out how to rip the QR Code reader from the leaked BBM and bundle it as a standalone app.

Who's with me?
    Yes please!
    10-14-09 08:47 AM
    Hey all, first time I've ever posted although I've been reading this forum for about 2 years...

I'm glad you guys started this thread. I downloaded BeeTagg for my Curve 8900 and it's insanely slow & only works 50% of the time, so I thought I'd poke around and find another... maybe they're all really slow. idk. I think I'll try Neoreader next.

I was on their site creating my own codes and was wondering the advantages/disadvantages between a BeeTagg, QR or Datamatrix codes. Everybody is talking about them and that they are different, but nobody is talking about how they're different. Is there a thread on this?

Also, I can't even figure out how to access the bbm 5.0 reader to begin with, nor can I find how to display my QR code for other bb users to scan my contact info. Is there a thread already started for a How To on this?

Thanks all!
    10-17-09 06:29 PM
    dunno but you go into BBM then go down to the bottom where it says "Blackberry Groups" > Scan a group barcode. Bring it up and you can scan lots of different things like URL codes, etc. But not everything.

Beetagg blows IMHO.
    10-17-09 06:48 PM
    Hey all, first time I've ever posted although I've been reading this forum for about 2 years...

I'm glad you guys started this thread. I downloaded BeeTagg for my Curve 8900 and it's insanely slow & only works 50% of the time, so I thought I'd poke around and find another... maybe they're all really slow. idk. I think I'll try Neoreader next.

I was on their site creating my own codes and was wondering the advantages/disadvantages between a BeeTagg, QR or Datamatrix codes. Everybody is talking about them and that they are different, but nobody is talking about how they're different. Is there a thread on this?

Also, I can't even figure out how to access the bbm 5.0 reader to begin with, nor can I find how to display my QR code for other bb users to scan my contact info. Is there a thread already started for a How To on this?

Thanks all!
    Like the person above me said, you can open up BBM 5.0, scroll to the bottom and look for the "Groups" tab, and if the tab is closed, click (with the trackball, or maybe enter works too?) to open up that tab...once opened you will see "Scan a Group Barcode", click that to open up the blackberry's scanner, in which the camera comes on and you just point the bb at a barcode somewhere (perhaps on the computer monitor) and it will automatically scan and cause you to join the group...if the group is not full or anything.

Another way to do this is at the top, once bbm is opened, if you see "Contacts", you can click that tab if it's not open yet, and you will see "Invite a Contact". Click that and it will ask you 3 different options as to what to do...the middle (2nd) option will say "Scan a person's Barcode". This does the same thing.

I don't know how useful these two sites might be, but here:
    - Barcode 101: QR Code = Kleenex
    - Armageddon: QR Codes and DataMatrix Codes made simple

Maybe they will help differentiate between barcodes, datamatrix codes, qr codes, etc.
    10-17-09 07:40 PM
    Thanks for the responses! Jonneh, I'll take a look at those links in a day or two, but in the mean time... I've found how to access my bbm reader the 2nd way you mentioned.

Furballz, as far as going to my Blackberry Groups "tab" (?)... when I open bbm 5.0.0.8 it shows me my "Contacts" screen. I found my personal QR code by scrolling all the way to the to and clicking on my username. Didnt know I could do that before. I looks like header so I never tried. Anyway, there's nothing really to scroll too, cause all is see are these three things:
    - Recent Updates
    - Contacts
    - Pending
    When I click on the bb option button I only see the options to Add Contact or Add Group. Nowhere else can I even find a mention of the word Group... so I'm not really sure

Jonneh, I'm not entirely sure what "tab" you mean, but thanks for the second option!
    10-18-09 03:14 AM
    well I don't know what to say, then. Under the bar that says contacts should be a bar that says "Blackberry Groups" with a + sign on the left just like the Contacts bar. Expanding that would reveal "Create New Group" and "Scan a Group Barcode." If those aren't there then something's very wrong. Damned if I know what, though.

EDIT: Though I have 5.0.0.33. Maybe your version sux. ?
    Last edited by Furballz; 10-18-09 at 03:21 AM.
    10-18-09 03:18 AM
    Thanks for the responses! Jonneh, I'll take a look at those links in a day or two, but in the mean time... I've found how to access my bbm reader the 2nd way you mentioned.

Furballz, as far as going to my Blackberry Groups "tab" (?)... when I open bbm 5.0.0.8 it shows me my "Contacts" screen. I found my personal QR code by scrolling all the way to the to and clicking on my username. Didnt know I could do that before. I looks like header so I never tried. Anyway, there's nothing really to scroll too, cause all is see are these three things:
    - Recent Updates
    - Contacts
    - Pending
    When I click on the bb option button I only see the options to Add Contact or Add Group. Nowhere else can I even find a mention of the word Group... so I'm not really sure

Jonneh, I'm not entirely sure what "tab" you mean, but thanks for the second option!
    Oh, I'm sorry, you have the leaked version of BBM 5.0. You have the version that came out before they officially released it. So you don't have "Groups" functionality at all, I believe. That's why it's not there. Besides that, your scanner has better functionality than ours. When we upgraded to the official BBM5.0, we've realized (which is why I posted this thread) that they downgraded the scanner...you should be able to scan all kinds of things with yours. You can scan QR Codes that will pop up text on your blackberry screen with the text that was entered into the QR Code, say, for example, a QR Code someone made that says "I love you!!! <3" from a loved one. Official BBM5.0 can not seem to do this, and I made this thread to make others realize this, and ask everybody simply, "Why not? Why did they take it away?" etc etc.

We're running 5.0.33, I believe, and you're on .08.
    It's up to you whether or not you want to upgrade to the official version...groups are awesome, but the scanner sucks compared to how they had it in the leaked version capability-wise (otherwise it's the same). Also there are other tweaks that are a bit different between the two versions...mainly UI (User interface) and such.

edit: Also note that some people (many) complain that, because when you join a group, there is automatically a chatroom going on in that group between every member of the group that decides to join the chatroom, it drains your battery a bit quicker because the phone has to constantly pull the data and perform checks to see if there has been any update to the chatroom. Or, something like that. I was joined to what I thought was a small number of groups (3), and each had a chat going on, and I admit I did feel like my battery was going quite a bit faster than normal. Not sure how true it all is though.
    Last edited by Jonneh; 10-18-09 at 05:08 AM.
    10-18-09 05:04 AM
    Oh crazy! Well, glad I got that sorted. I think I'll just keep the version I have.

Thanks for the help all!
    10-19-09 04:41 PM
    Just an update: NeoReader doesn't support the 8900 Curve and the hacked BBM Reader doesn't understand a BeeTagg code... :\

Jonneh, imma check those 2 links you gave me and I'll keep you guys in the loop!
    10-21-09 12:12 PM
    Is it possible to downgrade to 5.0.0.8 from 5.0.1.38?, I have OS 5.0.0.681

Thanks.
    08-14-10 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD