OK - So my Sprint BB Curve 8330 arrived today. We have the Everything Plan, unlimited web, email, etc.

I want to setup my existing email on this thing, not use Sprints email or whatever.

When I go to the email setup, I have these choices:

"I want to create or add an email address"
    "I want to use a work email on an Enterprise server"
    "I want to skip email setup"

The first choice acts like it wants me to setup a Sprint email account. I want to use my existing email account with POP3/IMAP service.

Suggestions?
    11-07-08 06:00 PM
    1st option sets up a BIS account, you can add your personal email there, or you could just skip it and log into the Sprint BIS website.
    11-07-08 06:01 PM
    1st option sets up a BIS account, you can add your personal email there, or you could just skip it and log into the Sprint BIS website.
    Ahhhh, I have seen the light!

Thank you VERY much for you quick and accurate reply!

I was thinking that it was only going to let me setup a Sprint email account, didn't realize I had to create the BIS account first, then setup my own email like yahoo, gmail, or whatever!

Kudos to you!
    11-07-08 06:11 PM
    No problem, welcome to crackberry! Check out the 101s in my signature, lots of good info!
    11-07-08 06:12 PM
    When I go to set up an email account, I only have 2 options: 1) I want to use a work email on an Enterprise server, and 2) I want to skip email setup. I know that I don't want to use Enterprise server. My corporate office told me to install the desktop software, which I did. But I can't figure out how to add an email given the only 2 options my phone is giving me. Any suggestions?
    11-07-08 06:51 PM
    Where you given this by your company? You may have an IT policy which requires the BES.
    11-07-08 06:58 PM
    I bought this phone myself, but asked corporate if I could access my work email. They said I could, and I should use the Blackberry Desktop service. I purchased this phone through EVP.
    11-07-08 07:16 PM
    EVP? Odds are good it has an IT policy on it and requires the BES.
    11-07-08 07:18 PM
    are you frikkin serious. This thing is going back then.
    11-07-08 07:19 PM
    How do you access your work email now?
    11-07-08 07:20 PM
    Just on my work desktop.
    11-07-08 07:24 PM
    Do you have to login to access it? Log into the computer I mean.
    11-07-08 07:27 PM
    I just log in to Outlook. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    11-07-08 07:29 PM
    If you log into the desktop or outlook that would suggest they run a VPN, which would require the BES, sorry.
    11-07-08 07:36 PM
    thanks for your help. I contacted Sprint, and surprisingly I got a very helpful girl who was very easy to understand. She ran me through several technical steps, a reset (which I had previously tried), battery removal and finally provisioning. Finally, she got it fixed. I also think when I activated the phone, the service rep forgot to switch my plan from an Everything to a Blackberry Everything Plan(technicality on their end). I was also missing my browser icon as well as several other icons (communities, navigation, Pocket Express, etc), all of which now appear and work. I was able to set up my gmail account, but still couldn't get my work email set up. I'm not too worried about it because I have a guy from IT coming on Monday to set it up on my phone. He was just here last week and set it up on my co-workers new Curve, so I know it can be done.

thanks again for your help. maybe my experience will help someone else.
    11-07-08 08:45 PM
    I'm no expert at all, but, can you check your work email from home, or can you only check it from work?

Also, do you have unlimited email/data plan on your BB? I've read recently that you may need to pay for an email or unlimited data plan to check your other emails.

Edit: I see they didn't have you on the Blackberry Everything Plan, which is probably why you couldn't even setup your gmail account before, but you may need your IT guy to help you with the other.
    Last edited by dibbc; 11-07-08 at 09:11 PM.
    11-07-08 09:09 PM
    thanks for your help. I contacted Sprint, and surprisingly I got a very helpful girl who was very easy to understand. She ran me through several technical steps, a reset (which I had previously tried), battery removal and finally provisioning. Finally, she got it fixed. I also think when I activated the phone, the service rep forgot to switch my plan from an Everything to a Blackberry Everything Plan(technicality on their end). I was also missing my browser icon as well as several other icons (communities, navigation, Pocket Express, etc), all of which now appear and work. I was able to set up my gmail account, but still couldn't get my work email set up. I'm not too worried about it because I have a guy from IT coming on Monday to set it up on my phone. He was just here last week and set it up on my co-workers new Curve, so I know it can be done.

thanks again for your help. maybe my experience will help someone else.

I have the same issue, but mine was working fine. I have not found the cause of why I can't see the 3rd option, but the no icons is normal with a new phone. When you connect it to their network its the apps you receive.

Mine errored out when there was a power outage. I can't even get into the email settings, stops at login like my username was deleted. I think it has to do something on sprints end. I can still access through a web browser to get my work email though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD