04-20-12 08:01 PM
98 ... 234
tools
    I don't want to add my BB into BES due to the IT policy gonna block everything. I've tried to setup OWA with my BB, however it keeps on failed, but I received an email from my BIS operator, something as below.

"Your attempt to configure the BlackBerry Internet Service to deliver mail to your BlackBerry device from this email account was unsuccessful. This email provides instructions to help with the email account set up."

Tried several attemp with different data entered, all failed. I suspect that my company has blocked BIS to configured via OWA, how can I check if they block it?
    09-28-10 11:35 PM
    does OWA drain your battery?

I've had excellent battery life on my 9700. Added a work email via OWA and now my battery barely makes it through the day.
    10-01-10 03:05 AM
    I had problems setting this up, until I made one setting change that helped. When it asks for your name of the mailbox (normall your first and last name) I just placed a period inbetween the Fn and LN. After that it worked
    11-18-10 03:14 PM
    hope this thread is still alive. i have a bb curve 8530 with sprint. i set up company OWA email account on BIS. i can receive company emails but the problem is it is very flaky. if i receive 10 emails on outlook on my pc, i normally receive 1 or 2 of them on my bb. one of my coworker has the same issue. can this problem be fixed? thanks!
    03-09-11 01:17 PM
    Have you set it up as Exchange email?
    03-09-11 04:08 PM
    You need to be on a BES to set it up as Exchange.
    03-09-11 04:51 PM
    Also if you IT dept has your work PC that you access with outlook, if your password every expires you will get a message on BIS that you need to update your password to connect to the OWA site.
    03-09-11 10:48 PM
    You need to be on a BES to set it up as Exchange.
    Sorry overlooked the BIS part....
    03-10-11 04:17 AM
    The images have been deleted.... nice. I already knew how, but was trying to give the url to a friend.
    03-17-11 09:41 PM
    Actually it should be straight forward.

What you would need to do is provide the email address. Go into the advanced tab. Populate the internet address for the email inbox (i.e. https://mail.vodafone.net or whatever)

Username domain\username. Well the password and that should be it. worked with mine as I'm not on BES yet.
    03-18-11 05:02 AM
    I am on Sprint and setup my OWA work email at sprint.blackberry.com. I can now send/receive work emails on my Blackberrry. And I do see a Work Calendar. However, I don't see any entries in the Calendar. I have Google Sync and can see entries in my Google Calendar.

Things were working fine on my older Curve. This is the Bold 9650. Any idea on why don't I see any appointments in my work calendar? I tried deleting the account and setting it up again but to no success.
    OWA on BIS only syncs email, not calendar or contacts.
    03-25-11 11:18 PM
    Instructions don't work for me. Friend with an iPhone just entered his email and password- no other configuration needed. I can get email through OWA on the browser, but I've gone over and over the BIS settings and no matter what I try, BB cannot get my work email set up. So much for RIM's "robust" email capabilities.
    09-09-11 08:26 PM
    I can get OWA settings to work for me, however a co-worker can't. Apparently he is told he is on an older server and hence it doesn't work.

But I agree it is a pain, in some cases I had to put domain/credentials. and the second time i did it i didn't have to put the domain.
    09-11-11 07:40 PM
    My company just upgraded to Exchange 2010 and now all personal BlackBerry devices using BIS can no longer connect. Although IT is aware of the problem, they are not too concerned with fixing it.

As best I can determine, BIS is just not compatible with Exchange 2010. As a result, I will be switching to an Android phone later this week. After four years, I now have to say good bye to BlackBerry.
    09-14-11 12:25 PM
    My company just upgraded to Exchange 2010 and now all personal BlackBerry devices using BIS can no longer connect. Although IT is aware of the problem, they are not too concerned with fixing it.

As best I can determine, BIS is just not compatible with Exchange 2010. As a result, I will be switching to an Android phone later this week. After four years, I now have to say good bye to BlackBerry.
    Aack, just went through this at work. The IT folks there are *not* helpful, and not only have they said they don't support mobile applications, but no longer support POP3 or IMAP. I won't repeat the thoughts that went through my head when I heard this...

Anyway, running my Curve 8310, deleted my work account, then added it new. All I had to do was put in my email address and password, and the BB did the rest. It's shows up now as an https://webmail server instead of pop3.

However, I can't seem to modify the style sheets, so I can't modify my sig line. I haven't tried to do that via PC yet, only through the phone.
    11-26-11 09:48 PM
    can anyone upload the pics on the first pg again
    11-27-11 05:14 AM
    A...running my Curve 8310, deleted my work account, then added it new. All I had to do was put in my email address and password, and the BB did the rest. It's shows up now as an https://webmail server instead of pop3.

However, I can't seem to modify the style sheets, so I can't modify my sig line. I haven't tried to do that via PC yet, only through the phone.
    Just went through this setting up the Bold, not a single problem, and I can even edit style sheets now so that I can change my signature line from the BB and also change the sync options.

I'm thinking that if people are having problems with the new version of OWA, it's something set on the server side that we don't have control over?
    12-04-11 12:11 AM
    I using curve 9300 running OS6

Recently my company decided to go away with BES. I am now on BIS and have already setup my personal e-mail accounts however i am not able to add my official e-mail via IMAP/POP or by using OWA. I have tried all the possible settings (used https as well) however every time the error says to contact my company as the e-mail address/ username / password is incorrect (have changed the password however no luck)

We have 2 URL's
    URL A - is used by fellow android & apple users & they are able to send/receive e-mails. This URL does not resolve to a UI and hence cannot be opened on any browser (pc / phone)

URL B - is the URL to access exchange outside of our corporate network (OWA). This URL is not accessible by the blackberry native browser as it says "MAC OS is not a supported client operating system". I am able to access this URL via an XP machine running IE8.

I have tried all combinations however in the end it says to contact my company.

My company - is not able to fix this.
    My Service provider (Airtel india) - thinks it may be a IP blocking issue & we may need to whitelist it (i really dont think this is feasible option for single user)

Other blackberry users in my company have either moved to android / apple. Not sure what the rest are upto.

PS - BES really helped me to stay on top of my work which involves lot of meetings. With BES gone & exchange not working on BES, i am in a dilemma on whether to stay with BB or switch. 9810 was on my list
    12-23-11 09:20 AM
    That really sucks

I know that when I put the pop address into the field, the BB automatically changed it to https. I even copied the server name from a iPhone user, which was different, and that was changed automatically to the same https server.

Sounds like your company kinda screwed you over
    12-23-11 11:10 PM
    I went through the auto set up first. Everything worked great (send/receive and calender) but my contacts wont load. Any advice on how to fix this?
    02-06-12 10:15 AM
    Thanks for these instructions. It took a few times, but I did get my work email address configured on my BB 8900 (os v 4.x) w/BIS. It's now pulling the mail from the company OWA. Yeah! The key point I for me was to put in the domain name with my mailbox name.

As to the calendar integration, I don't think it will ever work the way it does in the BES environment. But I played around with this a bit found an acceptable workaround for me is to invite myself (using one of my other email addresses) to each meeting. Note that I currently do not you Outlook; just OWA and the BB calendar. Any dup entries won't annoy me.

Thanks, again, to all who posted hints and instructions.
    04-16-12 12:17 AM
    I went through the auto set up first. Everything worked great (send/receive and calender) but my contacts wont load. Any advice on how to fix this?
    I know it's been a few months, but since no one answered this, I will. OWA does not sync contacts or calender info. For that, you have to locally sync with the USB through Desktop Manager. Assuming your company will let you install DM on your computer.

That's how I do it. OWA for work email, sync with DM for calender and contacts. And really, my contacts change so rarely that it's not that big a deal. The calender is another thing. When a meeting invite comes in to my phone, it immediately goes to my phone calender, but I can't do anything with it until I get to the office because it won't sync my response OTA back to my outlook calender even if it does sync the fact that the invite email was read.

For real OTA syncing, without BES, we will have to wait for BB 10. Then we will finally have native ActiveSync.
    04-16-12 11:09 AM
    Great guide, however the mailbox name can really screw you up, since there is no direct way to know this. Generally it is your username, but in my instance it was my first name. You can find out your mailbox name by doing the following. (The hover method did not work for me, maybe because im using Outlook 2003.)

Open your Address Book in Outlook.
    Find yourself, and double click.
    The tab "General" should be showing, if not, go there.
    Look at the "Alias" field. This is your mailbox name.

In my case, it was different than my username. Hopefully this helps some of those frustrated, as I was.

EDIT: It should also be noted, that your USERNAME is not necessarily <username>@<domain>. Your username is what you login to your computer with. In my instance my MAILBOX name was <first name> and my USERNAME is <first initial><last name>.

It was already stressed, but HTTPS is important when entering the URL. If your company (like mine) doesnt pay for an SSL Certificate, (you get the "are you sure you wish to continue to this website" prompt in Internet Explorer) it doesnt matter. If you've followed all these steps correctly, and you are still not successful in setting it up, your IT department is to blame.

To go even further, we found out that we had to update our server to SP2 (Service Pack 2) to get OWA through Blackberry to work at all.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ls1norcal; 04-20-12 at 08:13 PM.
    04-20-12 08:01 PM
98 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD