Yesterday I discovered a very scary issue. I noticed someone else's Memos mixed in with my own memo's!

Here's what happened:

I stared using BB Protect about a month ago on my 9700. I was pretty impressed with this app. I loved the tracking and ability to wipe remotely, etc.

Anyway, I decided to set up the auto backup and restore and let it do it's thing weekly. Then I changed it to daily about a week ago. A few days ago, I needed to restore my Memos from the most recent backup as I was trying to sync with my Mac MissingSync and get my Memo's on my Mac sync'd up with my Blackberry.

So I did a restore and then I checked my Memos on my Mac and noticed some strange momes that I'd never seen before. I then thought my wife had used my BB to add a memo, but that is actually pretty unlikely since she doesn't know my password and barely knows how to use a cell phone in the first place. I then realized that I had someone else's memos!

On my Mac I can tell that the memos came from the date of the restore, and weren't on my Mac before then.

This is the only Blackberry in the house, and it never leaves my side. No one touches my phone besides me. There is zero chance that anyone added these entries.

My only conclusion is that somehow my restore had these additional entries in it.

I've since deleted all of my Memos on my Blackberry and performed a Backup, in the hopes that if the other person also has _my_ memos, they will somehow be wiped out.

I carry _everything_ in my Memos. Credit card info, passwords, EVERYTHING. It's like losing your wallet but 100x worse than that. I rely on my password to access the data and have the Blackberry lock out after 5 mins.

From the memos I found, I feel like the user is "new" to Blackberry and the memos suggest more of a todo list than anything else. There were only 6 entries, but they ranged from what to pick up at a gardening store to a locker combination to a license plate number. From what I can deduce, the person is in Arizona, but I could be wrong.

My hope is that the user is also new to BB Protect and hasn't performed a Restore on their end, yet. And that enough time will pass that if they ever did, my data will be lost in past restore.

I've since turned off auto Backup completely and am working now to change as much information as I possibly can, based on the information in my Memos.

If anyone has any idea how this could have happened, please let me know. I'd caution anyone reading this to not use the Backup features of Protect if you have sensitive data on your BB like I do.
    04-24-11 11:36 AM
    Sounds pretty serious if it did come from the protect program. Hopefully you are contacting RIM also to verify the data transfer to your device so they can determine what happened or such.
    04-24-11 12:36 PM
    Protect uses the device PIN to identify and backup from the device, so if they've sent you someone elses data, somethings very wrong with RIM's data sorting system for their servers. You definitely should send an e-mail to RIM or probably tweet them on twitter.

Cheers
    04-24-11 12:52 PM
    I intend to contact them to help me sort this out. I'm really hoping there is another explanation, to make me feel better about my info getting leaked.

Any suggestions on the best contact for something like this?
    04-24-11 12:56 PM
    Not to be an @ss here, but can i ask why you would keep your CC info in memos? There are all kinds of apps like password keeper, BB wallet etc that would keep your info safer than memos.

I truly hope it wasn't BB protect that shared your info...
    04-24-11 03:21 PM
    I use Memos because it's the only app that syncs notes with my Mac, through MissingSync. There is no native Notes app for the Mac that i know of, and I don't use Apple Mail either. I rely on the password lockout feature of my Blackberry to protect my data, and now the wipe feature of Blackberry Protect.

I just sent a message to Blackberry via Twitter. I'll keep you guys posted.
    04-24-11 09:16 PM
    Here's their reply:

I would recommend contacting your carrier to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

WTH? I don't see how this is a carrier issue, since it's Blackberry's app.
    04-25-11 02:16 PM
    Did you ever get the blackberry exchanged and then restored it? I can see that happening and getting it switched using BB protect
    04-26-11 07:19 PM
    No, I'm the only owner since new. Blackberry Support hasn't been very helpful. I'm pretty sure i'm on my own with this one. Well, I've done my best to try to tell them about this problem, but honestly, using Twitter as a means of offering Support is just ridiculously lame. I linked them to this post and their reply today was "What is the problem you're having with Blackberry Protect?". Uh...what?
    04-26-11 10:29 PM
    Yikes!

I hope I never have to retore from BB Protect until this is resolved.
    Please keep us posted bryanus.

Good Luck
    04-27-11 07:35 PM
    Oh my...this is a serious matter. I've never done restore but I always backup my data weekly through BB Protect. Wonder if someone got my data?
    04-28-11 02:44 AM
    What ever happen to this issue?
    Do you get any answers from BB why this happened?
    TIA
    06-11-11 08:19 PM
    Never got an answer. Attempting to resolve this via Twitter was ridiculous. They kept giving me the run-around. I gave up. I only use Protect for the GPS location services now.

For better or worse, I didn't move forward with canceling and re-issuing all of my sensitive info. So far, so good. Been about 7 months since I discovered this issue.
    11-21-11 10:52 AM
    Still scary stuff.

Good Luck
    11-22-11 07:01 PM
  15. T
    And this is why I would never install BlackBery Protect or this type of an app on my BlackBerry. What good is unbreakable device-level encryption (AES) if your data is still at risk in the cloud? Yea, you can remotely wipe your device, but so could someone else (even RIM!) if he has your BlackBerry Protect password or somehow hacks your account. You may as well have an Android or iPhone.
    11-23-11 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD