I want to sync my Google Contacts to my BES Blackberry Storm and avoid having all of my personal contacts sync'd to outlook and my work contacts sync'd to gmail. I know this was not possible in the past so I ended up importing my Google contacts into Outlook in a separate folder.

With the role out of BIS 2.8, there is now an option to sync contacts directly through the BIS. Under the help option, I read the following:

When you add a Google Mail™ email address to the BlackBerry Internet Service, you can synchronize the contacts in your Google Mail account with your BlackBerry device. You can add, change, and delete your Google Mail contacts from your device or from your Google Mail account, and the BlackBerry Internet Service synchronizes the changes between your device and your Google Mail account.

If your BlackBerry device is also associated with an email account that uses a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the contacts application on your device will contain contacts from both your Google Mail account and contacts from the email account that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. You cannot synchronize contacts between your Google Mail account and the email account that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Has anyone tried this? Does this really mean that I can have all of my person/work contacts in one place on my blackberry without my personal contacts appearing on my work computer?

Thanks!
    11-03-09 10:10 AM
    I am confused by this, too as I have had an existing gmail account BIS account (IMAP) set up with via Verizon Wireless and I am not seeing the option show up on the website to allow me to sync my contacts - only deleted emails. Do I have to delete and then re-add the account for it to provide me the option to sync contacts???
    11-03-09 10:58 AM
    I didn't have to do anything to get the option. I logged into BIS, clicked on "Edit" next to my gmail account, and I had both options -- sync contacts and sync deleted items. I thought these options were rolled out a few weeks ago.
    11-03-09 11:06 AM
    dbfbulk - are you with VZW and do you also connect to a BES or just BIS? I have accounts on both BES & BIS, so maybe that is a limitation to not being able to sync contacts??? Otherwise, it might be related to me using IMAP with gmail???
    11-03-09 12:24 PM
    Well, it works!!!!

I deleted all of my personal contacts from my Outlook Contacts folder and enabled "Sync Contacts" on the Gmail account associated with BIS. Now I have both my Gmail contacts and my work (Outlook/BES) contacts on my BB Storm. When I sync'd my blackberry, my Gmail contacts didn't mix with my Outlook contacts and visa versa.

Also, now when I go to address book --> options --> contact lists, I now see "Desktop" and my Gmail account. When I click the menu button, there is also an option to just show my Desktop or Gmail contacts (similar to the calendar option). I'll post if I run into any problems.
    11-03-09 12:48 PM
    BerryStorm - I have VZW, BES at work (I think they are still using 4.2), and BIS for my gmail account. It is possible that your BIS account hasn't yet been upgraded to 2.8. I did nothing special to my gmail account on BIS -- it is the same account I've had associated with BIS for years.
    11-03-09 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD