08-16-11 02:56 PM
28 12
tools
    Just curious to whether or not there is truth to this rumour.

I am a religious user of BBM in my daily life, and I heard rumour today while shopping for a new phone (likely a 9900) that they may be getting rid of the existing BBM, and going to a different client that Android/I-Phone/Blackberry can all communicate on.

Is there any truth to this, and if so what does the time frame look like?
    08-15-11 03:10 PM
    Whomever told you that was trying to sell you a different device I suppose.

But no, BBM is a centerpiece of RIM's devices and services. Here to stay. And growing in use by the way.
    GeddesT and Speczorz like this.
    08-15-11 03:18 PM
    why in the world would they do something like that?!?!?

BBM is what makes BBs so unique. its their thing there hook, it would take a really stupid person to take that away from the customers.
    GeddesT likes this.
    08-15-11 03:25 PM
    They're not going to release BBM as a social platform to then axe it...
    GeddesT likes this.
    08-15-11 03:41 PM
    that's what I figured but I wanted to be sure......
    08-15-11 03:48 PM
    I agree with what the others have already said. BBM 6 integrates the platform even more deeply in to the social scene than ever before, they aren't looking to get rid of it.
    08-15-11 04:00 PM
    Seriously, the things trolls and bandwagon BB-haters will make up these days.
    08-15-11 04:02 PM
    I am sure that BBM will NEVER disappear from the BlackBerry. Or EVER be on anything other than a BlackBerry.
    08-15-11 04:07 PM
    BBM is here to stay. Why do you think FB is trying to compete with their own chat app? Notice how they did not release an app for BB at the same time they did for Android / iOS. I tried out the app on an Android phone and it took up 22% of the CPU.. no thanks! I'll stick with my BB and BBM.
    08-15-11 04:15 PM
    BBM is here to stay. Why do you think FB is trying to compete with their own chat app? Notice how they did not release an app for BB at the same time they did for Android / iOS. I tried out the app on an Android phone and it took up 22% of the CPU.. no thanks! I'll stick with my BB and BBM.
    22% of the cpu...Mmmm so 20% was for sendiing out your personal information? 2% for chatting hehehe that's what you get for free
    08-15-11 04:19 PM
    I'd be shocked if RIM gave up on BBM
    08-15-11 04:21 PM
    There was talk a while back of bbm going cross platform, but i have not heard anything about that since. its not going to be removed however since they are pushing it hard to try and grow a user base with younger generation
    08-15-11 05:36 PM
    Why not make it cross platform? And non BB users pay 10$ per install.. per year?

Get enough other oses on board and its a win.
    08-15-11 05:56 PM
    Yes, RIM is 86'ing BBM, and ripping out radio, wifi, GPS and bluetooth. Its going to be the thinnest, lightest and longest battery-lived Blackberry ever.
    08-15-11 05:57 PM
    Two things - there already is a messaging app similar to BBM that goes across all platforms. Live Pin sharing or something like that.
    That said, I don't expect that BB will do away with BBM. The've lately added features and will include additional ones.
    So....yes, a cross platform messaging app exists and no, RIM isn't doing away with BBM in the near future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 05:59 PM
    Two things - there already is a messaging app similar to BBM that goes across all platforms. Live Pin sharing or something like that.
    That said, I don't expect that BB will do away with BBM. The've lately added features and will include additional ones.
    So....yes, a cross platform messaging app exists and no, RIM isn't doing away with BBM in the near future.

LiveProfile is what you're referring to, it is very similar to BBM.
    08-15-11 06:00 PM
    That's it!!! Thank you!!!
    Couldn't remember the name.

08-15-11 06:08 PM
    I've also used "what's app" its an alright client but its based on SMS technology, their group chats have a maximum of 10 members etc.

I'll be sticking with blackberry, but the 9900 is getting really bad battery life reviews right now, maybe 9780 is the way to go
    08-15-11 06:17 PM
    I personally can not see RIM getting rid of one of the main features of their phones BBM is what has always set it apart from the rest. I wouldn't worry about it as I extremely doubt it will ever happen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    08-15-11 06:23 PM
    I'm curious as to the source of this rumour. It's probably just some ridiculous RIM hater. I don't think anyone serious in the business would have said something like that. Pure nonsense and illogical.
    08-15-11 07:23 PM
    I'm curious as to the source of this rumour. It's probably just some ridiculous RIM hater. I don't think anyone serious in the business would have said something like that. Pure nonsense and illogical.
    Based on what the OP said, it sounds like the source is a pushy salesman.
    08-15-11 07:40 PM
    You should flog whoever told you that. RIM would never bail on BBM
    08-15-11 08:41 PM
    Getting rid of BBM would be stupid. RIM wouldn't do that... then again...

LOL.

Nah, BBM is too valuable of a feature. And people, please stop with the "hater" stuff. There is no underground RIM resistance creating stories out there. There is no fraternity of BGR-reading, BlackBerry despising folks making up stuff. Honest.

It's beginning to sound like Animal Farm up in here: Snowball did it!
    08-15-11 09:06 PM
    I can't imagine that RIM would even consider this.
    It is my main communications link with my wife when we're apart (other than calling, but who does that anymore )
    Good Luck
    08-15-11 09:31 PM
    that's what I figured but I wanted to be sure......
    In fact there was a "rumor" that RIM was to open up and expand BBM to other OS'es like iOS and Android. Which I think RIM has denied. Though if things get really rough for RIM (which I doubt), BBM would be an asset to be leveraged somehow (the service).

Point being, BBM is a positive for RIM anyway you slice it. If it were not, then Apple would not be copying it.

Interestingly this is one of the "side effects" of RIM's recent struggles in the press. Fact is before the OS7 devices RIM had the same old phones in the stores for too long. I have heard that salespeople have claimed similar things like RIM is going out of business and non-sense like that. But then, with so long between releases, in such a fast changing market, the long release cycles coupled with some bad press make this crap sound a little credible to a customer and the other salespeople. The kind of thing where if it sounds like it could be true, some people believe it and propagate it.
    Last edited by southlander; 08-16-11 at 03:42 AM.
    08-16-11 03:36 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD