04-01-11 09:57 AM
35 12
tools
    03-29-11 07:04 AM
    LOL.
    Okayyyy.
    03-29-11 07:28 AM
    Love it....

I'll be buying a Bold Touch, a Torch 2 and an Apollo when they all come out.

Frankly, I am not seeing a h3ll of a lot of difference between the Atrix I just bought and the Torch I crushed accidentally. The Atrix is faster, yes. The display is crisper, yes. But so far the mail has me underwhelmed. The Atrix manages mail the way my 3GS used to - when I access my mailbox there is a few seconds' delay while the little circle turns and the emails trickle in. That's a big deal.
    03-29-11 07:35 AM
    Love it....

I'll be buying a Bold Touch, a Torch 2 and an Apollo when they all come out.

Frankly, I am not seeing a h3ll of a lot of difference between the Atrix I just bought and the Torch I crushed accidentally. The Atrix is faster, yes. The display is crisper, yes. But so far the mail has me underwhelmed. The Atrix manages mail the way my 3GS used to - when I access my mailbox there is a few seconds' delay while the little circle turns and the emails trickle in. That's a big deal.
    I just want to say I am utterly confused..
    03-29-11 07:36 AM
    LOL!!!! Sorry, I'm arguing with Google sync.

What I was trying to say was that I don't agree with the premise of the article. RIM is not on a slow decline to irrelevancy. They will continue to hold their core.

My reference to the Torch / Atrix is due to the fact that I just bought an Atrix and was expecting for the skies to open and for choirs to sing and rain gold dust on my hair. No such thing. Very nice device which is faster and zippier than what BB currently offers. Beautiful display. But I don't see RIM as being sooooooo far behind.

It ain't replacin' none of my BBerries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-29-11 08:01 AM
    Moved to News & Rumors Also for those who don't wish to click away from CB......

RIM's slow march toward irrelevance

The BlackBerry maker is falling painfully behind as the market for wireless devices moves toward an application-driven format.

By TheStreet Staff on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 11:46 AM
    By Ali Meshkati, TheStreet

To keep your head in the financial markets, you must realize when situations are obvious to most investors. Case in point: Research In Motion (RIMM).

The maker of the popular but increasingly outdated BlackBerry line of phones is becoming painfully irrelevant as wireless devices move toward an application-driven format.

RIM has been slow to react to the lightning pace of technology evolution. This has cost RIM about $60 billion in market cap over the past two and a half years. More importantly, it may have cost it the opportunity to recover customers who have switched to Apple's (AAPL) iPhone or a Google (GOOG) Android device.
    •Find a new broker and trade online
    In today's technology market, once you are obsolete, you are obsolete. Unless you have the alien mind of Steve Jobs, you will be hard-pressed to find a solution.

The best thing RIM has going for it is the fact that most everyone in the financial markets realizes that the company's back is pinned against the wall. A funny thing happens when the majority of investors begins seeing a situation as obvious: It supports the stock price. It actually slows the descent of the stock, as short-term money becomes involved and long-term interest in the stock slowly wanes.

From a monthly chart of RIM going back to 2007, it's clear that the creation of an application-driven model for wireless technology has been the downfall of RIM. However, the stock's lack of recovery even as many similar names are making multi-year highs is very telling. On its slow and steady march to the end, RIM's shares have moved sideways on thinning volume while the rest of the market has rebounded.

It is most fortunate for RIM that the markets thrive on punishing those who attempt to profit from obvious situations, regardless of whether their opinions ultimately end up being correct. This will create a cushion of time that will allow RIM a very small chance to right its sinking ship.

Perhaps they will create a phone that doubles as a flotation device? A built-in parachute would be nice for those of us who are afraid of flying. A phone that doubles as a helmet? All ideas that RIM engineers should be exploring, as they plot the difficult path toward reviving a withering brand.

•Check out Jim Cramer's portfolio
    Should RIM beat the odds and manage a return to prominence, it only has the public market for capital to thank. More importantly, it should thank the underlying counterintuitive, backward-talking nature of the market for creating pockets of time when companies can pick themselves back up while the markets make certain that its riches are distributed to the chosen few who realize its true nature the best.
    03-29-11 09:32 AM
    im so confused how does a company that's on it way under manage to acquire companies that are leading their fields like QNX?
    03-29-11 09:42 AM
    Well the thing that I think is so funny, is the fact that this is an article on M$N, a competitor to RIM with WinPho7. Also, Microsoft just inked the deal with RIM for Office 365.

Hm. Bias much?
    03-29-11 09:58 AM
    LOL!!!! Sorry, I'm arguing with Google sync.

What I was trying to say was that I don't agree with the premise of the article. RIM is not on a slow decline to irrelevancy. They will continue to hold their core.

My reference to the Torch / Atrix is due to the fact that I just bought an Atrix and was expecting for the skies to open and for choirs to sing and rain gold dust on my hair. No such thing. Very nice device which is faster and zippier than what BB currently offers. Beautiful display. But I don't see RIM as being sooooooo far behind.

It ain't replacin' none of my BBerries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Uh oh. Others may not live!?
    03-29-11 10:01 AM
    Uh oh. Others may not live!?
    LOL!!!! Others will always live, because there will always be awesome K9 teams who will put themselves at peril to do what's right....

Speaking of which, I'm still not certified. My puppy is still in training. That's two deployments I've missed since I lost my partner right after Haiti.
    03-29-11 10:06 AM
    Check out Jim Cramer's portfolio
    Go google that guy and you will see just how often this guy is wrong e.g. his advice to stick with one of those banks that went bust just days before it went bust.
    03-29-11 11:05 AM
    Here is a fun article. Performance? average.
    Sure, I want an average celebrity yahoo telling me what to buy.
    Investing In Mad Money: Academic Analysis Of Jim Cramer's Stockpicking Ability
    03-29-11 11:12 AM
    im so confused how does a company that's on it way under manage to acquire companies that are leading their fields like QNX?
    Don't worry..the truth is the platform currently is great...by summer 2012...RIM will be the most advanced and sophisticated mobile communication/computing company on earth....

With that the only company to support an "os platform with TRUE universal reach"....RIM has cornered the market with universal reach os!

People should really think about that!!!and I imply.... realize the gravity of that!
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-29-11 at 11:43 AM.
    03-29-11 11:39 AM
    With that the only company to support an "os platform with TRUE universal reach"....RIM has cornered the market with universal reach os!
    You made the "universal reach" statement multiple times in multiple posts. Will you please lay out your definition of "universal reach"?
    03-29-11 12:19 PM
    Don't worry..the truth is the platform currently is great...by summer 2012...RIM will be the most advanced and sophisticated mobile communication/computing company on earth....
    Don't think RIM is marching to irrelevance... But they have allowed their dominance in the Smartphone Industry to simply slip thru their fingers. Sure they have some great stuff coming... but once you get knocked off the top, it is much harder to get back up there.

Before the summer 2012 how many more BB users will RIM loose?

Besides, I don't see Google or Apple just sitting around waiting for RIM to catchup - the problem is that Apple and Android will have some advanced and sophisticated devices on the market next summer too.
    03-29-11 12:30 PM
    `blah blah blah, rim is dying blah blah blah rim is...ah pants, they made profit AGAIN for multiple quarters in a row? shows what we know about market stocks`

^the inner workings of an analysts head
    03-29-11 12:41 PM
    Well the thing that I think is so funny, is the fact that this is an article on M$N, a competitor to RIM with WinPho7. Also, Microsoft just inked the deal with RIM for Office 365.

Hm. Bias much?
    The fact that it's on MSN does not mean it's automatically biased. That's a ******** assumption.

It's like saying anything about Yahoo! on Engadget is automatically biased, since AOL owns it...
    03-29-11 06:48 PM
    The Atrix is faster, yes. The display is crisper, yes. But so far the mail has me underwhelmed. The Atrix manages mail the way my 3GS used to - when I access my mailbox there is a few seconds' delay while the little circle turns and the emails trickle in. That's a big deal.
    I'm not saying your wrong. Just will you explain how its faster. Give some depth to your answer. I want to understand what your experancing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 06:53 PM
    I don't understand waiting for email to tricker in either. With ActiveSync it's pushed and with IMAP you certainly don't have to wait for email to trickle in. It sure beats Mail/Attachment truncations and RIM outtages.

In any case, after reading the article and the comments one stuck out to me, because it's something I've mentioned before:

The real thing lost in most of the analysis below is the the real core target for blackberry users as mentioned ski55 and others is the business user. Well interestingly enough every other smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Nokia) natively sync with the email systems that businesses run using activesync which is built into those other devices. Blackberry requires costly proprietary software to sync with those mail systems. Industry experts figure roughly $150 per user per year or more total cost of ownership to run a Blackberry Enterprise Server in an environment. In large corporations this can easily tally up 100's of thousands of dollars or even millions. This resistance has put IT organizations being forced to reduce costs at odds with the very core users that RIM is seeking to hang on to desperately. THAT is the dilemma facing RIM...
    Yes, for a BIS user getting your non-AS email pushed is nice, and for those who know tons of BB users BBM is nice. But for businesses, BES is a significant investment and many are looking to move away form it (no serious business of factorably size is going to run BESx, for obvious reasons, just like many License Linux from Red Hate instead of using a Free Distro or CentOS - or free Java AppServers, etc.).
    03-29-11 06:57 PM
    I don't understand waiting for email to tricker in either. With ActiveSync it's pushed and with IMAP you certainly don't have to wait for email to trickle in. It sure beats Mail/Attachment truncations and RIM outtages.

In any case, after reading the article and the comments one stuck out to me, because it's something I've mentioned before:

Yes, for a BIS user getting your non-AS email pushed is nice, and for those who know tons of BB users BBM is nice. But for businesses, BES is a significant investment and many are looking to move away form it (no serious business of factorably size is going to run BESx, for obvious reasons, just like many License Linux from Red Hate instead of using a Free Distro or CentOS - or free Java AppServers, etc.).
    I think I've had one BIS outage in the last year...maybe in the last 15 months. In my line of work, if an email is truncated, the sender is lazy and failed to appropriately summarize the content as opposed to forwarding. Regardless If it requires that much attention then I will deal with it from my laptop or tablet. I think your first 2 issues were mentioned to create a stacking effect to suggest more concerns than reasonably exist because you have a desired outcome.
    03-29-11 07:05 PM
    no serious business of factorably size is going to run BESx, for obvious reasons, just like many License Linux from Red Hate instead of using a Free Distro or CentOS - or free Java AppServers, etc.).
    Really? Tell ya what since again you make comments thin as air tell me what is factorable size and I'll companies that fit your criteria and is running it sucessively.
    No one is going to agrue that free isn't nice. Its just realilty. You got to pay to keep thongs in order. Have to habe an itt department that knows and does their job. They can't wait untell something is broke before trying to fix it. A lot of busnesses is ran sucessively using besx. The problem with the options is there really isn't any. The only 2 platforms that has total ES support seem to be in bed together. Rim and mircosoft. Win phones and blackberrys support about 100 of the protocols.
    The problem with open source devices is they can be rooted or whatever and your system takes havoc. Freedom has a price. You got to be willing to pay it.
    Btw the only email I have truncated is from roxio. I don't think that's going to make or break me.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 03-29-11 at 07:22 PM.
    03-29-11 07:16 PM

ok, so people have mentioned BESX and i agree thats cool and its free, but whatever your take businesses want CONTROL, its not all about AS and stuff, its about effectively controlling their employees. i was speaking to an IT admin the other day for a huge company (spans over 100 countires) and his point was simple, they cant control whats going on with iTunes, its great on a BYOT side of things, but they cant enforce passwords and stuff effectively, and the same for android, its the policies inside BES (there are far less in BESX) that give the most benifit in reality over any other platform.

personally im a consumer so i use BIS (maybe had 2 outages in 3 years in the UK) so things are different for me, but thats honestly a big thing to factor in for business is the control and security they want/need.
    03-29-11 07:51 PM
    You made the "universal reach" statement multiple times in multiple posts. Will you please lay out your definition of "universal reach"?
    I'm very tired now...so I'll keep this short

This is one example of many.......

QNX as an os for RIM with out question or debate has granted RIM in mobile communication/computing a position with no peer or rival. An AUTONOMY in regards to having 100% acsess to every sector of every industry....without limitation of market penetration

QNX is so advanced and carries so many certifications that it's competitors would require a min 5 years to obtain the industry clearance it currently has....realisticaly longer......and to put that in perspective, they couldn't catch up....QNX it self hold many patents that will put limitations on the competition in those regards itself.

As far as industry in general is concerned...ios/windows/android do not presently or in this upcoming decade have 100% penetration to every industry sector...

This one reason opens RIM to be a platform that supports like I've mentioned in other posts "UNIVERSAL REACH"

This is an aspect current analysts and jounalists that carry a negative sentiment fail to realize......

Now something to note.... once you get away from the negative sentiment.....those in industry that are prominent and in positions of leadership and authority are aware of this....this was one example I have of universal reach......To phathom the gravity of RIM as it is anchoring itself as industry leader as it is repositioning it self in the market going forward is very hard to comprhend....based on the nature of the magnitude of strategic manuveurs they currently have underway!

grover5 likes this.
    03-29-11 07:52 PM
    As far as the "march of irrelevance" is concerned.....

The most important, prominent members of the industry/enterprise community will be attending Blackberry World Conference in May....and as far as I'm concerned these attendee's are the most enthusiastic for the QNX platform moving forward......and have the most influence over " RIM's irrelevance".....without question or debate they have 100% support and interest moving forward!

I should also mention BWC will have massive attendance!

I feel I'm being bombarded with news articles on CB forums that are as credible as the National Inquirer!

Those that start threads on the basis of supporting a positive discussion...I'm very thankful

For the rest...thanks for diminishing the quality of this site...as there are many trash threads bombarding this section!!!!!!!!!!thanks for being as useful to CB site members as you are most likely to yourselves in your own lives!!!

grover5 and BBThemes like this.
    03-29-11 08:11 PM
    a double thanks for missing_K-W...i hope he is right.
    03-29-11 08:24 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD