03-09-11 12:10 AM
125 ... 345
tools
    Maybe we're glad to pay $500 for a device like this because we all don't want to do all that sh!t on a PHONE. Why is it so difficult for you people to grasp this simple #@*$ing concept.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Pop Quiz hot shot! The earth is being invaded by aliens and your friends and you are going out for drinks. You heard the breaking news story and want to be safe while out on the town just in case those aliens decide to hit on your girlfriend. So, you head on over to your next door neighbor's house (who happens to be Tommy Lee Jones) mess with his thermostat to open his secret stash of anti-alien weapons and try to decide on what to choose to carry that night. WHAT DO YOU PICK?

I'll be choosing the Noisy Cricket myself. Why? Because it's small, packs the same punch as the big *** BFGs on the wall, and I know you'll enjoy seeing me slip it into my thigh holster as you watch me get dressed while "Sexy B!tch" is playing in the background.

That pretty much paints the reason why some of us pick what we pick. Well, that's my reason at least.
    sleepngbear and howarmat like this.
    03-03-11 12:47 AM
    The weird thing is that I even sit at home browsing on the phone instead of walking to the computer. I hardly use my PC anymore.

Clearly I have a distaste for the PC experience, enough to make due with a cramped device (and crappy browser.) So how would a tablet fit here?

I think I would definitely reach for the tablet at home, it's as spontaneous and intimate as the phone. But, I would probably not carry it with me due to size. So I really think this kind of device is mobile in the sense of spontaneous use rather than as a portable computer.

I doubt a 7" form factor would persuade me to carry it, I don't carry a man purse so where would this go? I think Apple is right on this, and it must be said that the iPhone does provide a premium viewing experience in a truly mobile device.

n8ter#AC likes this.
    03-03-11 01:23 AM
    Pop Quiz hot shot! The earth is being invaded by aliens and your friends and you are going out for drinks. You heard the breaking news story and want to be safe while out on the town just in case those aliens decide to hit on your girlfriend. So, you head on over to your next door neighbor's house (who happens to be Tommy Lee Jones) mess with his thermostat to open his secret stash of anti-alien weapons and try to decide on what to choose to carry that night. WHAT DO YOU PICK?

I'll be choosing the Noisy Cricket myself. Why? Because it's small, packs the same punch as the big *** BFGs on the wall, and I know you'll enjoy seeing me slip it into my thigh holster as you watch me get dressed while "Sexy B!tch" is playing in the background.

That pretty much paints the reason why some of us pick what we pick. Well, that's my reason at least.
    Ok, for that I'd wish my phone could record hi-def video.
    03-03-11 06:36 AM
    The weird thing is that I even sit at home browsing on the phone instead of walking to the computer. I hardly use my PC anymore.

Clearly I have a distaste for the PC experience, enough to make due with a cramped device (and crappy browser.) So how would a tablet fit here?

I think I would definitely reach for the tablet at home, it's as spontaneous and intimate as the phone. But, I would probably not carry it with me due to size. So I really think this kind of device is mobile in the sense of spontaneous use rather than as a portable computer.

I doubt a 7" form factor would persuade me to carry it, I don't carry a man purse so where would this go? I think Apple is right on this, and it must be said that the iPhone does provide a premium viewing experience in a truly mobile device.

At home I have two gorgeous monitors a super fast pc, super fast internet. Why would I use my phone? I used a tablet on the Verizon store and really liked it. I'm thinking the PB would provide a decent approximation to my pc viewing.

You cannot convince me pinch and zoom is premium anything. Looking at a web page on a 24 lcd monitor no contest.

The ipad is to big to be mobile for me. PB in theory is a better size for me.

Last edited by i7guy; 03-03-11 at 06:57 AM.
    03-03-11 06:55 AM
    At home I have two gorgeous monitors a super fast pc, super fast internet. Why would I use my phone? I used a tablet on the Verizon store and really liked it. I'm thinking the PB would provide a decent approximation to my pc viewing.
    Yes, I have a large monitor too. I don't know why, but there's something about sitting in front of the computer. Maybe it reminds me of work, or maybe I worry that I'll continue sitting there wasting time. Feels like a commitment.

You cannot convince me pinch and zoom is premium anything. Looking at a web page on a 24 lcd monitor no contest.
    This debate is over the incomplete state of both the PlayBook and the BlackBerry. The former lacks PIM and email functionality, the latter is lacking in web and multimedia. RIM is saying use both to complement each other for now, until we figure out how to complete both device categories. The most you can say about it is that you find it sufficient for your needs, but I don't see how you can claim, as you appear to be, that this is actually the best way forward. It would be, if somehow the combination of the PlayBook and the BlackBerry was greater than the sum of its parts. It's not, it's just barely acceptable to some.

Last edited by synthmole; 03-03-11 at 02:50 PM.
    03-03-11 02:26 PM

Maybe some people want to browse the internet in a room where they don't have a computer, don't want a laptop and a mobile phone suits them fine for what they are doing? Yes a tablet would better suit this situation, but if you don't have one, this is your option.

I use my laptop in my house, but sometimes I do find myself browsing on my device if I don't feel like getting up and going to a computer. Call it laziness, but it is convenient for quick browsing.
    03-03-11 02:42 PM
    Yes, I have a large monitor too. I don't know why, but there's something about sitting in front of the computer. Maybe it reminds me of work, or maybe I worry that I'll continue sitting there wasting time. Feels like a commitment.

This debate is over the incomplete state of both the PlayBook and the BlackBerry. The former lacks PIM and email functionality, the latter is lacking in web and multimedia. RIM is saying use both to complement each other for now, until we figure out how to complete both device categories. The most you can say about it is that you find it sufficient for your needs, but I don't see how you can claim, as you appear to be, that this is actually the best way forward. It would be, if somehow the combination of the PlayBook and the BlackBerry was greater than the sum of its parts. It's not, it's just barely acceptable to some.

The PB state does not seem incomplete. Being able to "read" my blackberry seems a better solution than synching multiple devices.

I agree the discussion is about requirements and wants vs architecture and deliverables. In the end we both have to be able to do what we need to with what we have. If we can't we have to find something that supports us not hinders us. So one man's deficiency is another man's feature.
    03-03-11 06:45 PM
    Maybe some people want to browse the internet in a room where they don't have a computer, don't want a laptop and a mobile phone suits them fine for what they are doing? Yes a tablet would better suit this situation, but if you don't have one, this is your option.

I use my laptop in my house, but sometimes I do find myself browsing on my device if I don't feel like getting up and going to a computer. Call it laziness, but it is convenient for quick browsing.
    In the field at times I wish the browser was better, but in all the time of owning a blackberry the browser has never failed to do what I need it to.

Maybe I can't browse non-mobile friendly flash rich sites, but for work I don't need to.
    03-03-11 06:47 PM
    And I liked my Storms as well, but a couple of things I'd like you to know. The battery life on the iPhone4 from Verizon is better for me than the S1 or S2 ever were... by a good margin too... I'd say 30% more life out of it for some reason and I'm using the handsets the same way. Being on the phone, using GPS, and using WIFI/radio seemed to be the big battery drainers on the Storms for some reason. The ViP4 seems to sip at the battery a bit better. I can't say the same for the AT&T iPhone because I've seen some people still have problems even with the 4 for some reason. I'll blame the Infenion chipset vs Qualcomm in this case.

Also, I find it interesting that pretty much everyone wants a PB because they want Flash. I'm not dogging the idea, but I wonder how many people would pass on the PB if the regular BBs had QNX and Flash onboard already. In those cases, I think you'd see more people buy it for the same reason people buy the iPads... a bigger screen and nothing else. If I were Steve, I'd put out today's iPad2 device with Flash support (swallow my pride a little in my own mind) and laugh about it just to screw with RIM. lol But either way, not much matters because Flash is just a Jailbreak away on these devices for anyone that wants to play with it.

The reason RIM has been touting flash is primarily due to the big scheme of things...we'll touch on that in a bit...a mobile platform without gimmicks should recreate the browsing experience near 99.9 percent to that of a desktop or laptop and be without excuse!!!!..and with excuse there is only one reason .. The platform it runs on has inferior resource management and that is the only reason....Steve Jobs would support flash if iOS had a solid enough foundation to support it...that is it! No excuses!!

The playbook will be the only product on the market to remotely come close to recreating a desktop experience....and flash is an integral link to the FULL DESKTOP experience! If it is on the desktop it should be on a mobile device with no excuses!

QNX( tablet OS) can and will be the only platform to support all developmental frameworks and easy porting of.....it will in the future support virtual machines that allow cross platform porting of apps that can and will run better then on they're native device due to the arcitechure of qnx....if only people would pay attention to the intrinsic reasons why jim B boldly states that we aren't an app company is simply because the platform has capabilities to run every app on the market!

I'll gladly carry two devices if my second device is a no compromise near replication of the desktop experience, and use my phone as a master device to harbour the gateway to my "PC to go..."In due course when RIM unveils they're shock and aww PB to the world ...rim is behind the times to "realists", however in a year from now to us that view the intrinsic side of things they are ahead. And by 2 or 3 steps for those that pay attention and observe....rIm isn't just innovating they are reinventing the wheel...too bad everyone that should be paying attention to that is caught up with what's here and now.....

Apples so called closed and superior ecosystem as based on fragmenting around an inferior OS that requires an app to perform where it lacks...I want to spend more time getting stuff done and less time looking for apps...RIMs answer to that is we are packing the PC into a 7x5 tablet and if you needs apps we'll support them to....infact we'll allow anyone to port any app on the markets including ios! That's the gravity of it and it is huge!

And as far as BIS, truncated emails and compressed info slowing things down..I happen to live in canada on tiered data plans and save a fortune on data as due millions around the earth ....americans will soon come to appreciate that as teared data plans come into effect!

RIM's answer to that...is that qnx supports distributed multiprocessing !!!!we'll just push everything to you in real time!!!! In compressed packets so you save lot's of money! I like where that is going! That includes media from as many outlets as you can shake a stick at ! Ipod what?

Sorryy to rant but I see the apple ecosystem as not being"there's an app for that" but realistically being...."We have a bandaid for that"! Because our OS technology is inferior to the elephant in the room which is QNX!!!!!!!

03-03-11 08:02 PM
    Lol, Flash works just fine on iOS if you want to run the port off Cydia. Trust me, the PB won't be able to crap more power out of thin air to run Flash all the time without needing to plug in. There is a ton of PC hardware out there that can use the most recent hardware acceleration that Flash has in it, but Flash is still power hungry no matter what. The PB and QNX hasn't found the unlimited answer to this problem. 2+2=4.... simple as that.

Also, I think you're not understanding the whole app thing. There is no limitation the browser on iOS has that you need an app to do something a website cannot. The ideas of apps that represent websites ports is to streamline the experience for the user. That means to help speed things along like navigation and info input/output. That's all. There is nothing stopping you from using the full site for something, but if there's an app port of it that's faster and quicker, why not use it? Isn't that what you said as well?... best experience possible. The PB browser won't render isht any better than any other WebKit based browser does. There are other apps that aren't replacements for websites. WTF is your excuse for that? How are you going to run a word processor through the browser? (loco) What's RIM's excuse for including DocsToGo? According to you, that should be available through the browser because apps are not the way to do it. Give me a break and get your act together. Also, I'd like to see just how much data compression RIM's going to do on the PB without affecting speed and user experience. We already know the browser doesn't route through the RIM proxy servers.
    03-03-11 11:25 PM
    Just as an aside jailbreaking is the reason for the slow adoption in certain sectors.

03-04-11 05:55 AM
    Just as an aside jailbreaking is the reason for the slow adoption in certain sectors.

The browser should replicate the desktop 99.9 percent no if ands or butter about it! Fully native on a devive....no excuses...just do it!

03-04-11 06:37 AM
    Lol, Flash works just fine on iOS if you want to run the port off Cydia. Trust me, the PB won't be able to crap more power out of thin air to run Flash all the time without needing to plug in. There is a ton of PC hardware out there that can use the most recent hardware acceleration that Flash has in it, but Flash is still power hungry no matter what. The PB and QNX hasn't found the unlimited answer to this problem. 2+2=4.... simple as that.
    The playbook will be running flash 100% of the time because the entire GUI is built on Flash. So I don't think that a Flash webpage or app is going to kill it anymore than normal operation.
    03-04-11 06:49 AM
    The playbook will be running flash 100% of the time because the entire GUI is built on Flash. So I don't think that a Flash webpage or app is going to kill it anymore than normal operation.
    The entire GUI is not Flash. If anything, it's probably Air or not Adobe at all. It was discussed before what the GUI is written in, but I'm not going to go digging for it.
    03-04-11 08:15 AM
    In a couple years from now...tablet OS will support and have acsess to more apps then any other platform...buisness side and consumer side...not to mention full desktop programs( to the full desktop programs that remains to be seen) however it is almost a given ....especialy on exclusive larger RIM tablets when they support quad core!

03-04-11 08:59 AM
    Another thing...I don't mind RIM dragging it's feet if we are to have a platform that is 3 or 4 steps aheaf of the competition...especially when industrial ways of appliying QNX are brought to the consumer...I am very excited about the possibilities!

03-04-11 09:01 AM
    The entire GUI is not Flash. If anything, it's probably Air or not Adobe at all. It was discussed before what the GUI is written in, but I'm not going to go digging for it.
    OK it is Adobe AIR... And here is what Adobe says about the AIR runtime environment on their site:

Feel confident about the future of the AIR runtime. It is built on Flash Player 10.1 and continues Adobe's long-term commitment to Flash technology.
    And here is the info from Adobe about the Playbook.

Adobe AIR is a runtime that enables you to build standalone applications for the desktop, TVs, and devices. Along with Adobe Flash Player, it provides a unique platform for developers to build highly engaging applications across multiple screens. The first PlayBook difference is the level of integration between AIR and the device. The PlayBook uses AIR at the OS level. There is tight integration between AIR and the core QNX OS, and many native PlayBook applications are built to run in AIR. For example the camera native UI, native media player, and settings panel all are AIR apps. There are other ways to build applications on the PlayBook, described later in this article, but the fact that many of the core PlayBook applications built with AIR make it a differentiator.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    03-04-11 09:05 AM
    Another thing...I don't mind RIM dragging it's feet if we are to have a platform that is 3 or 4 steps aheaf of the competition...especially when industrial ways of appliying QNX are brought to the consumer...I am very excited about the possibilities!

Uh-oh -- can open, worms everywhere ... !! Time to don the flame suit - you have been warned.

I don't care if it's ahead of or equal to the competition. And I don't mind waiting for it, as long as when it gets here it's as solid, bug-free, and as intuitively designed and easy to use as every other BB I've owned. And that applies to the PlayBook as well as new BB phones. I know there have been some lemons, but I've been lucky enough to have gotten all cherries so far.

03-04-11 09:22 AM
    If you have done research about QNX...the foundation of it is designed around power management...it is an embedded OS in embedded devices which run mission critical devices( often times on batteries only)...think about how many industrial grade resource sucking applications they run that would make a consumer product such as a tablet look amateur.....which to some degree they are comparing apples to oranges....ex industrial to consumer grade....battery life bcomes irrelevent...think about it!

Also, I think you're not understanding the whole app thing. There is no limitation the browser on iOS has that you need an app to do something a website cannot. The ideas of apps that represent websites ports is to streamline the experience for the user. That means to help speed things along like navigation and info input/output. That's all. There is nothing stopping you from using the full site for something, but if there's an app port of it that's faster and quicker, why not use it? Isn't that what you said as well?... best experience possible. The PB browser won't render isht any better than any other WebKit based browser does. There are other apps that aren't replacements for websites. WTF is your excuse for that? How are you going to run a word processor through the browser? (loco) What's RIM's excuse for including DocsToGo? According to you, that should be available through the browser because apps are not the way to do it. Give me a break and get your act together. Also, I'd like to see just how much data compression RIM's going to do on the PB without affecting speed and user experience. We already know the browser doesn't route through the RIM proxy servers.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 03-04-11 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Edited your post to have proper quoting because your BB couldn't handle it on the WAP site.
    03-04-11 11:25 AM
    What's RIM's excuse for including DocsToGo? According to you, that should be available through the browser because apps are not the way to do it. Give me a break and get your act together.
    Hey, be nice. She could very well be packing a Noisy Cricket.

03-04-11 12:38 PM
    Hey, be nice. She could very well be packing a Noisy Cricket.

Actually, that was part of my post. He botched his mid-quote editing of my post when he did it from his inferior BB on WAP. I've fixed his post with proper quoting of me via my iPhone. He's one person that needs that PB badly. Lol
    n8ter#AC likes this.
    03-04-11 04:10 PM
    OK it is Adobe AIR... And here is what Adobe says about the AIR runtime environment on their site:

And here is the info from Adobe about the Playbook.
    This may be true, but an Air app doesn't peg the processor like Flash content does. That's the difference between sucking down power or just sipping it.
    03-04-11 04:14 PM
    Actually, that was part of my post. He botched his mid-quote editing of my post when he did it from his inferior BB on WAP. I've fixed his post with proper quoting of me via my iPhone. He's one person that needs that PB badly. Lol
    Word on the street is steve job's wants to pack in his ipad2 for a playbook! He also thinks lugging around his mac book pro is like lugging around 747! Playbook in his blazer pocket and he's good to go!

In an update to that he believes he might pack in his iphone for a Dakota! Likes the idea of having one plan and and the much welcomed idea of blackberry bridge to view emails, that eric schmit and steve ballmer used to spy on because of Apples lax security! What a refreshing notion to have docs to go come preloaded on the PB for free! Hope he doesn't get caught playing farmville on the browser! He has a company to run!

Jake Storm likes this.
    03-04-11 05:21 PM
    ROFL. Agreed.

I like how everyone keeps quoting wikipedia about QNX as if the Playbook will be a space shuttle or something.

Get real, really...
    03-09-11 12:05 AM
    ROFL. Agreed.

I like how everyone keeps quoting wikipedia about QNX as if the Playbook will be a space shuttle or something.

Get real, really...
    I never thought space shuttles were anything special, but I was a kid when "Star Wars" was released. The real space program was boring to me, since I grew up watching the original "Star Wars" trilogy.

03-09-11 12:10 AM
125 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD