I have been really annoyed by RIMs failure to release some of its apps such as the podcast app to customers outside North America but now it seems they are trying to do more harm to their reputation with the feeble operation of BBM. Over the past few weeks it has been inconsistent with messages being delayed and not delivered. It has got so bad that I have had to resort to using text messaging and other IM clients.
    Also, when both my iPad and BB are on the same Wifi network, the iPad receives emails faster.
    So if it is getting slower with emails, BBM isn't reliable and RIM are showing disrespect by not providing apps outside North America, what reason is there to remain a loyal customer? So far 3 of my friends have said they are shifting to an iPhone when the next one comes out and I think I will be joining them unless RIM shape up. Why are they doing this? It's suicide!
    06-13-11 06:21 PM
    I doubt they are doing anything deliberately to upset you. The one advantage a BB Bold has over the iPhone is the keyboard IMHO.
    06-13-11 07:17 PM
    LOL I don't think for a second they are deliberately trying to upset me. It just baffles me how the company can be so blind as to the damage the shoddy service and app discrimination is causing. The most annoying aspect is the fact that they don't explain, for example, the decision not to make the podcast app (and others) available outside North America, or inform people of problems with the BIS service. In Britain, it is cross network, so not limited to a single service provider and when a unique selling point for BB such as BBM becomes unreliable (and this has been going on for over a week) you begin to question why stay with a company who obviously doesn't care about some of it's customers!
    Morten likes this.
    06-13-11 07:35 PM
    Maybe they are tweeking the system because of the playbook?
    06-13-11 07:45 PM
    This 'tweeking' has lasted for a long time. Still today, BBM is flaky and messages are not getting through. Nearly went out and bought an iPhone today I'm so frustrated!
    06-14-11 08:56 AM
    Maybe they are tweeking the system because of the playbook?
    If that's the case - why don't they say something?
    RIM is aware of all the "noise" around the Playbook - I think it would be wise to start showing their customers some respect and inform what is going on... service - and apps...
    06-14-11 09:49 AM
    If that's the case - why don't they say something?
    RIM is aware of all the "noise" around the Playbook - I think it would be wise to start showing their customers some respect and inform what is going on... service - and apps...
    They did, it's well known there have been problems with blackberry over wifi, especially with carriers that support UMA ie Orange uk. It's resolved now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 12:16 PM
    I would imagine that a lot of the international restrictions have to do with licensing restrictions for the services they use.
    06-14-11 12:29 PM
    They did, it's well known there have been problems with blackberry over wifi, especially with carriers that support UMA ie Orange uk. It's resolved now.
    I am on Orange, use the BB over wifi with UMA (Torch) and I can assure you it is NOT resolved. It also doesn't work when not on wifi!
    I would imagine that a lot of the international restrictions have to do with licensing restrictions for the services they use.
    Then why don't they say? It is the silence that is the most disrespectful aspect of this.
    Oh and why has this been moved from 'discussions' to 'news and rumour'? It is a discussion not news nor a rumour!
    06-14-11 01:32 PM
    Well - They did not tell ME anything about it - and my carrier had NO idea what was going on... and I am registered on all mailing lists I know of for RIM....

The only way to get info about RIM - is to read Forums like this one - and "trust" all the rumours around..

But - all that was about the services... and for me that is something that my carrier should have been informed about...

My problem with RIM now - is that they hyped up "the first professional grade tablet" as they so nicely put it,.. and being a RIM products I never doubted that it would be a great one,... but the truth is that the Playbook is as far from Blackberry product as it can be.... The device was also sold with a "90 days support"... woww... sounds great .. have you tried the support lines? I have - several times - gave up - after being on phone for hours - with someone who barely speaks our language - who clearly had NO training in using the device - I tried to e-mail support ... but - that ended up being just as weird... so - it was 90 days of nothing... RIM could have saved all that "support" money and put it into some developer TEAM instead...

Okey - I might sound a bit angry.. .I'm not - I'm just very very frustrated and disappointed over RIM. They need to come out from the closet and tell me When I can expect the OS to work, When we will see applications that works, When we will see the integration coming to live.. etc... They dont even have all the developer tools out yet.... pretty weird....
    06-14-11 01:51 PM
    Then why don't they say? It is the silence that is the most disrespectful aspect of this.
    Oh and why has this been moved from 'discussions' to 'news and rumour'? It is a discussion not news nor a rumour!
    Have you asked RIM that? This isn't exactly the official BlackBerry forums. Posting a question here won't get you an official RIM response. If you have, what did they say?

06-14-11 02:40 PM
    Have you asked RIM that? This isn't exactly the official BlackBerry forums. Posting a question here won't get you an official RIM response. If you have, what did they say?

I have emailed, rung, and tried Facebook and Twitter. Each time no response. The phone just kept passing me from pillar to post, emails, tweets and Facebook questions are ignored. What other ways could I try to contact them?
    06-14-11 04:00 PM
    Write your congressman....no cereal!

Honestly, I feel your pain. I haven't had BBM for a few days due to me getting craptastic replacement 9700's..(On 3rd in last week.) And now can't get DM to work to restore my stuff from a new OS. So not as bad as you, but you are not alone with the headaches.

I did have a situation with that "Hotspot login" situation, but has since been resolved. So hopefully they take care of you soon. I am in North America though.

I mean if all else fails, might have to move on. It happens....way to much.

I wish you the best of luck.

06-14-11 04:26 PM
    I am on Orange, use the BB over wifi with UMA (Torch) and I can assure you it is NOT resolved. It also doesn't work when not on wifi!
    There seems to be some confusion - UMA only works on WiFi. Are you saying your phone doesn't work on the cellular network either? The finger of guilt might be starting to point at your carrier, Orange doesn't have the best reputation for quality of service.

Agreed. Looks like one of the mods had a senior moment.
    06-14-11 05:06 PM
    Agreed. Looks like one of the mods had a senior moment.
    So why has it been moved to an even less appropriate section? It seems Rims stupidity is contageous!
    06-15-11 12:22 PM
    Well, your biggest gripes are about native apps so it seems appropriate to me.

Just because you're having device problems is no reason to be rude.
    06-15-11 12:31 PM
    Seriously, Apple has the same problem too, ICloud will only be available in USA at first, not even Canada will get it. It's what it is, get over it.

06-15-11 12:39 PM
    The difference is though that iCloud will eventually launch outside the USA. RIM say nothing. They don't respond to emails, tweets, Facebook messages and finding someone to speak on the phone is virtually impossible. So will anywhere outside North America get the apps like the podcast one? If not, why not? Why don't RIM say if it is a rights issue or copyright concerns? The fact they ignore their customers enquiries is disrespectful.
    In fact, one of the main reasons I have decided not to buy a Playbook was I didn't trust RIM not to play the same trick and limit what's available outside North America.

As for this being about native apps, how can it be a native app if not all Blackberry customers can get it? Also, I've been told on another thread that it isn't a native app at all!
    06-15-11 01:25 PM
    The difference is though that iCloud will eventually launch outside the USA. RIM say nothing. They don't respond to emails, tweets, Facebook messages and finding someone to speak on the phone is virtually impossible. So will anywhere outside North America get the apps like the podcast one? If not, why not? Why don't RIM say if it is a rights issue or copyright concerns? The fact they ignore their customers enquiries is disrespectful.
    In fact, one of the main reasons I have decided not to buy a Playbook was I didn't trust RIM not to play the same trick and limit what's available outside North America.

As for this being about native apps, how can it be a native app if not all Blackberry customers can get it? Also, I've been told on another thread that it isn't a native app at all!
    Paypal app, Ebay app, travel app, and many more I'm sure, were USA only at first, they found their way to UK as well, patience.

06-15-11 01:49 PM
    This is one point we all can't say the OP isn't right about. It is such a major stupidity that it even made its way into the podcast...
    06-19-11 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD