07-08-11 08:25 AM
144 ... 456
tools
    They use the same transport, but they are not exactly the same. PIN to PIN is more similar to SMS. BBM has that wonderful little "R" that shows exactly when the love of your life got your message to bring milk, eggs and bread.
    BES can select features a la carte, as it were. It is entirely possible to block one and not the other. If I'm wrong on that piece, I'd like for someone to correct me. Neither is encrypted, both are able to be monitored.
    Think of BBM as a "skin" around PIN.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    PIN messages have delivery flags too. I don't know if you can block BBM but not PIN but if you blocked PINs at the firewall, I am pretty sure BBM wouldn't work. It may be possible to block one and not the other with different BES policies but I am not sure why you would block PINs and not BBMs.

07-07-11 04:20 PM
    PIN messages have delivery flags too. I don't know if you can block BBM but not PIN but if you blocked PINs at the firewall, I am pretty sure BBM wouldn't work. It may be possible to block one and not the other with different BES policies but I am not sure why you would block PINs and not BBMs.

PIN messages have Delivery flags, but not Read flags, which is what the "R" Q was referring to and not mentioning the "D"
    07-07-11 04:22 PM
    The companies that block BBMs or PIN messages are also likely to block SMS messages. They do this to ensure all communication from their devices goes through their email servers.

I agree that would be a reason, but WHY would a company want to funnel everything through an email server when A LOT of corporate email that filters around is useless and archiving just eats up server time, put in a monitored BBM and let the employee's know it is monitored then have a filter for key words applied to the data base, it can be cleared and not archived with far fewer resources than doing so with email
    07-07-11 04:24 PM
    I agree that would be a reason, but WHY would a company want to funnel everything through an email server when A LOT of corporate email that filters around is useless and archiving just eats up server time, put in a monitored BBM and let the employee's know it is monitored then have a filter for key words applied to the data base, it can be cleared and not archived with far fewer resources than doing so with email
    If they are monitoring and archiving their email anyway, blocking BBM saves them the trouble of doing it in two places.

07-07-11 04:27 PM
    PIN messages have Delivery flags, but not Read flags, which is what the "R" Q was referring to and not mentioning the "D"
    Thank you for understanding my cryptic posts as I'm running for the train.....again.....

07-07-11 04:31 PM
    If they are monitoring and archiving their email anyway, blocking BBM saves them the trouble of doing it in two places.

except BBM communication wouldn't require archiving it would be deleted if nothing is flagged and would alleviate with heavy communcation through mobile users

I send upwards of 100 BBM's between 2 of the office / production staff a day, if those where emails that is a lot of replicating bloat, and server load for messages that contain less than 140 chars often, though my signature is well over 400 chars, and many within the company use images which then get to be archived when they serve no value, ( I HATE IMAGE email signatures!)
    07-07-11 04:36 PM
    Thank you for understanding my cryptic posts as I'm running for the train.....again.....

no problem doll I get you
    07-07-11 04:36 PM
    except BBM communication wouldn't require archiving it would be deleted if nothing is flagged and would alleviate with heavy communcation through mobile users

I send upwards of 100 BBM's between 2 of the office / production staff a day, if those where emails that is a lot of replicating bloat, and server load for messages that contain less than 140 chars often, though my signature is well over 400 chars, and many within the company use images which then get to be archived when they serve no value, ( I HATE IMAGE email signatures!)
    That's the point though. These companies want to scan and archive all written communication.
    07-07-11 04:50 PM
    That's the point though. These companies want to scan and archive all written communication.
    Ya I just don't understand the culture!

I understand the scanning culture, and needing to keep records of specific things, but the inter communication stuff is just so archaic in process to want to keep everything! people communicate SO much textually now, compared to 10 years ago when these processes were put in place
    07-07-11 04:53 PM
    True, not sure why PIN messages don't have the 'R' flag. It's been around since the 850 2 way pager.
    07-07-11 04:56 PM

I understand the scanning culture, and needing to keep records of specific things, but the inter communication stuff is just so archaic in process to want to keep everything! people communicate SO much textually now, compared to 10 years ago when these processes were put in place
    You now have programers that can extract all kind of informarion and statistics out of any data base.

07-07-11 04:58 PM

Lawyers and Auditors.
    07-07-11 05:01 PM

I just tested it, blocked all Pins in the firewall and bbms come in as normal.

07-07-11 07:36 PM
    I just tested it, blocked all Pins in the firewall and bbms come in as normal.

I am surprised. OTOH my work BB can receive PIN messages it just can't send them and BBM is blocked.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 07-07-11 at 08:13 PM.
    07-07-11 08:09 PM
    I am surprised. OTOH my work BB can receive PIN messages it just can't send them and BBM is blocked.
    A work BB is a completely different story then a personal BB. Your employer chooses what you can and can't do with it.

07-08-11 12:23 AM
    A work BB is a completely different story then a personal BB. Your employer chooses what you can and can't do with it.

Of course, that is what we have been talking about, employers blocking messaging.
    07-08-11 06:55 AM
    BES can be customised....highly so.
    That's one of the things that makes it so attractive in the secure community.

07-08-11 07:23 AM
    Of course, that is what we have been talking about, employers blocking messaging.
    Yes but you somehow portray it as a bad thing. Sounds to me like your employer doesn't want you to BBM or Pin but he's left a channel of communication open to contact you.

You can still share calendar entries and schedule conference calls with your blackberry co-workers using email by the way.

07-08-11 07:26 AM
    Yes but you somehow portray it as a bad thing. Sounds to me like your employer doesn't want you to BBM or Pin but he's left a channel of communication open to contact you.

You can still share calendar entries and schedule conference calls with your blackberry co-workers using email by the way.

I wasn't portraying it as a bad thing. Merely pointing out to another poster that use of a Blackberry does not automatically imply access to BBM.

07-08-11 08:25 AM
144 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD