07-08-11 08:25 AM
144 ... 3456
tools
    It is a matter of ease, and control that is freely available, and within controllable matters, fortunately of the some 400 customers I have less than 20 that are NO blackberry users so it hasn't come to the point of being too much favouritism, BUT, why should I go out of my way to make life easier for those that choose to use alternatives to the status quo?

I am not losing business, as I just divert the business to those who have the means to better communicate. there are few free easy to use, No install required tools that can do what BBM groups can do
    Now, with all due respect (yuck.. Talledega Nights is on the TV behind me and I just heard Ricky Bobby use the exact same expression), I'm honestly a bit surprised to see you, as opposed to any other member of this forum, make a statement like that. Especially given some of the opinions you've publicly made on these forums regarding some of mistakes RIM has made in the recent past, that aren't a far reach from the same mentality. (granted, my eyes are drooping from fatigue, so I may be mistaken, but I'm too tired to go looking back at this time)

Are you honestly saying that you'd make it a point not to explore any method of reliable and effective communication with one of your customers because they don't conform to your status quo, under the premise that you have to expend some effort to make it easier? Especially given that BB isn't exactly the status quo anymore?
    07-06-11 11:36 PM
    Now, with all due respect (yuck.. Talledega Nights is on the TV behind me and I just heard Ricky Bobby use the exact same expression), I'm honestly a bit surprised to see you, as opposed to any other member of this forum, make a statement like that. Especially given some of the opinions you've publicly made on these forums regarding some of mistakes RIM has made in the recent past, that aren't a far reach from the same mentality. (granted, my eyes are drooping from fatigue, so I may be mistaken, but I'm too tired to go looking back at this time)

Are you honestly saying that you'd make it a point not to explore any method of reliable and effective communication with one of your customers because they don't conform to your status quo, under the premise that you have to expend some effort to make it easier? Especially given that BB isn't exactly the status quo anymore?
    Blackberry in the business to business sales market very much is the status quo

and I'll break it out like this, YES RIM has flaws, I point them out often, BUT BBM groups allows me to grab a customers phone add him to a group with 2 minutes of training and NO worry about IT policy we can be off to the races sharing information with other members in said group, NO alternative softwares, NO IT restrictions, NO Mess.
    Before BBM it was all email, which it still heavily is, but BBM has increased the speed for communication, and out of the box abilities.

I would explore other alternatives, which is why I do trial iOS devices, and Android devices from time to time, time permitting, but as the bulk of my customer base are blackberry users it very much affords me the ability to be discriminatory from looking for alternatives that the majority of BES equipped IT locked devices can access.

and by NO means am I looking to use more on my notebook, goto meetings are enough on my note book when I must. I wouldn't want to open it up anymore than I have to for follow up
    07-06-11 11:47 PM
    I forward transparently from our business domain to Gmail. Works great. No spam and configs easy with BlackBerry, but I still have the business email address. Or I can use the Gmail one.
    That's what I do.
    07-06-11 11:50 PM
    Why are you caring if RIM is 3rd place on the TOP10? Love it even RIM's fallen to 100th. or the botton.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 12:17 AM
    Why are you caring if RIM is 3rd place on the TOP10? Love it even RIM's fallen to 100th. or the botton.

You could well get your wish. Although the outcome may not excite you if you want to keep using your Blackberry like you do. The reason people here are passionate about rankings is that it's a little like their "team" is doing better than the competition.

It's tribal.
    07-07-11 12:49 AM

Perhaps it is a two horse race.
    07-07-11 07:46 AM
    and I'll break it out like this, YES RIM has flaws, I point them out often, BUT BBM groups allows me to grab a customers phone add him to a group with 2 minutes of training and NO worry about IT policy we can be off to the races sharing information with other members in said group, NO alternative softwares, NO IT restrictions, NO Mess.
    What about companies who disable BBM.
    07-07-11 07:48 AM
    I imagine they do that out of choice and for a good reason.

07-07-11 08:08 AM
    If I run into one, those bb users will get the same involvement as company's who have users using iphones, or palm

07-07-11 08:48 AM
    I imagine they do that out of choice and for a good reason.

Presumably they would prefer their employees to communicate via email.
    07-07-11 09:31 AM
    As long as BB continues to exist, I'm happy.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-07-11 12:00 PM
    Comeback or not, I just love my Blackberry
    grover5 likes this.
    07-07-11 12:08 PM
    A company that would have disabled BBM would have most likely also disallowed the use of SMS or MMS if on exchange Active Sync. There is no reasonable value added to restricting BBM and allowing everything else.
    There is also the possibility of straight PIN messaging. There is little likelyhood of a company disabling BBM when PIN messaging is an easy option assuming your contact has a PIN associated in Outlook.
    So I don't see that as likely.

Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-07-11 at 12:31 PM.
    07-07-11 12:28 PM
    A company that would have disabled BBM would have most likely also disallowed the use of SMS or MMS if on exchange Active Sync. There is no reasonable value added to restricting BBM and allowing everything else.
    There is also the possibility of straight PIN messaging. There is little likelyhood of a company disabling BBM when PIN messaging is an easy option assuming your contact has a PIN associated in Outlook.
    So I don't see that as likely.

If BBM is disabled PIN messaging will also be disabled. It is also possible to disable SMS and some companies do that too.

BES blackberries don't use Exchange Active Sync.
    07-07-11 12:37 PM
    I know they don't use Active Sync - that's my point. There is no value added to keep the one and disable the other.
    I am fairly certain you can use PIN with a disabled BBM in BES.
    If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

07-07-11 12:51 PM
    I know they don't use Active Sync - that's my point. There is no value added to keep the one and disable the other.
    I am fairly certain you can use PIN with a disabled BBM in BES.
    If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

I don't really understand why you mentioned Active Sync since it is supported by any BB.

It would be pretty silly to disable BBM and not PIN messaging. BBM uses PIN messaging so by disabling PIN messages you have disabled both.
    07-07-11 01:01 PM
    I don't really understand why you mentioned Active Sync since it is supported by any BB.

It would be pretty silly to disable BBM and not PIN messaging. BBM uses PIN messaging so by disabling PIN messages you have disabled both.
    No. Wrong, you can block Pin messagrs in the firewall while BBM remains active.

07-07-11 01:04 PM
    No. Wrong, you can block Pin messagrs in the firewall while BBM remains active.

So what's the difference to the firewall between a PIN message and a BBM message?

It's a moot point in any case. A company blocking one will almost certainly block the other.
    07-07-11 03:01 PM
    So what's the difference to the firewall between a PIN message and a BBM message?

It's a moot point in any case. A company blocking one will almost certainly block the other.
    A company will block what they need to block to keep the company safe and they will block it because BES gives them the choice.

BBM is an app that can be deleted, Pin functionality cannot but it can be blocked for all or individual Pins.

07-07-11 03:50 PM
    A company will block what they need to block to keep the company safe and they will block it because BES gives them the choice.

BBM is an app that can be deleted, Pin functionality cannot but it can be blocked for all or individual Pins.

You didn't answer my question. How would BBM work if PIN messages are blocked by a firewall since BBM messages are PIN messages. Pin messages can in case be blocked on the device via BES policy. Also why would a company block one without blocking the other. They are both equally secure.

07-07-11 03:59 PM
    You didn't answer my question. How would BBM work if PIN messages are blocked by a firewall since BBM messages are PIN messages. Pin messages can in case be blocked on the device via BES policy. Also why would a company block one without blocking the other. They are both equally secure.

Not that I know any company's that do Block it, I'll theorize here.

Blocking PIN messaging and allowing BBM could be done because they both are independent of eachother, BUT use the same channels, you don't have to deactivate the PIN, you just deactivate the ability to send/recieve the PIN to the message box. only allowing PIN communication through the application of BBM,

also in reverse you could close of BBM due to it's nature of being very "chatty" in favour of secure PIN to PIN messaging which lack the "chatty feel" but keep the inbox clean of less important messages like 2 employee's trying to arrange lunch, or a coffee run.

Grand scheme I think it would be very closed minded of a Company to limit BBM especially in countries like Canada where txting plans are not cheap and never given away free on corporate plans, BBM is a great way to minimize costs of issuing devices across a network, AND can be fully traced and recorded by the BES admin
    07-07-11 04:05 PM

I don't know hoe Rim makes the magic works but it just works! Try it if you don't believe me.

Picture this, one of your BBM contacts turns nasty, you delete them from your contacts list and ad them to the ignore list.
    But, if that contact took a note of your Pin they can send you direct Pin messages. You then go to firewall and you block that particular Pin or all Pins if you want.

I don't know how it works but they are completely separate.

That's why teenagers are going mad for BBM, it's safe to share your pin and you don't need to cive your email address or phone number away.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-07-11 at 04:08 PM.
    07-07-11 04:05 PM
    They use the same transport, but they are not exactly the same. PIN to PIN is more similar to SMS. BBM has that wonderful little "R" that shows exactly when the love of your life got your message to bring milk, eggs and bread.
    BES can select features a la carte, as it were. It is entirely possible to block one and not the other. If I'm wrong on that piece, I'd like for someone to correct me. Neither is encrypted, both are able to be monitored.
    Think of BBM as a "skin" around PIN.

07-07-11 04:09 PM
    Not that I know any company's that do Block it, I'll theorize here.

Grand scheme I think it would be very closed minded of a Company to limit BBM especially in countries like Canada where txting plans are not cheap and never given away free on corporate plans, BBM is a great way to minimize costs of issuing devices across a network, AND can be fully traced and recorded by the BES admin
    The companies that block BBMs or PIN messages are also likely to block SMS messages. They do this to ensure all communication from their devices goes through their email servers.

07-07-11 04:13 PM
    The companies that block BBMs or PIN messages are also likely to block SMS messages. They do this to ensure all communication from their devices goes through their email servers.

Lol, you really do have a knack for pointing out the obvious. Why do you think provides the BES tools in the first place?

07-07-11 04:20 PM
144 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD