07-08-11 08:25 AM
144 ... 23456
tools
    Sereously, AGAIN, we were talking about people with a blackberry but WITHOUT a data plan, they're hardly gonna have they're own hosted email. Read all the posts to stay in context please.
    I'm quite aware of what you're talking about. You're talking about web-based email on a browser. Not everybody uses gmail, hotmail, etc... I can count a dozen people I know off the top of my head that have mail hosted from sources other than gmail etc.. and they pay nothing for the hosted accounts because it's provided through work (usually), school (quite a bit), family, clubs, community services, etc...

Do you realize how many college students alone have their .edu email addresses and live on pay-as-you-go devices?
    07-06-11 04:37 PM
    I'm quite aware of what you're talking about. You're talking about web-based email on a browser. Not everybody uses gmail, hotmail, etc... I can count a dozen people I know off the top of my head that have mail hosted from sources other than gmail etc.. and they pay nothing for the hosted accounts because it's provided through work (usually), school (quite a bit), family, clubs, community services, etc...

Do you realize how many college students alone have their .edu email addresses and live on pay-as-you-go devices?
    In UK they can have a pay-as-you-go BIS data plan for 5 a month, no need to rely on the browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 05:03 PM
    In UK they can have a pay-as-you-go BIS data plan for 5 a month, no need to rely on the browser.

It depends on the school's email service. My school uses Exchange. As a result, BIS is not capable of getting the emails at all.
    07-06-11 05:12 PM
    It depends on the school's email service. My school uses Exchange. As a result, BIS is not capable of getting the emails at all.
    Are you sure about that? Is there no pop3 or imap settings for you email?

07-06-11 05:19 PM
    Are you sure about that? Is there no pop3 or imap settings for you email?

No. I spoke to someone in the IT department. The best I can do is forward it.
    07-06-11 05:22 PM
    I don't know that I'd want to be a part of one of those circles, much less do business with them. If the device I carried held any bearing on who socialized with me, or did business with me, I'd just walk away laughing.
    I am one of those you would be walking away laughing from.
    Only kinda, when a company gets me to work with their reps on the road those reps who carry a blackberry always get first dealings, AND generally get better follow up

I'll create a bbm group with a calendar and supply product knowledge and leads via the group, answer the group, the people with other devices just get the talk with me, spend the day with me and follow up is usually just a single email.

When I do business with someone I'm using the best tools at my disposal, and when communication is important those with blackberrys are the ones I will do more business with

07-06-11 05:41 PM
    That sounds like it's done on pourpose my friend. You could have that email address on a BB if you had BES not BIS.

07-06-11 05:46 PM
    That sounds like it's done on pourpose my friend. You could have that email address on a BB if you had BES not BIS.

Yes. That is true. However, only one of my professors even had a BlackBerry. Most of them used iPhones. Of course, no BES for students.

The IT department did say the email service would be changing next year. It will not matter to me, since I will be graduating before then.
    07-06-11 05:49 PM
    Third place is better than nothing at all. Only the first, second and third get a trophy/ribbon.

07-06-11 07:43 PM

That requires someone to pay for a BES CAL and possibly additional data charges.
    07-06-11 08:06 PM
    Coming from a Galaxy S owner - I think in all fairness to RIM comparing numbers of handsets running Google's OS is stacking the deck sort of speak. The real comparison should be manufacturer against manufacturer (ie: RIM vs SAMSUNG or RIM vs APPLE), not a handset manufacturer vs. an operating system.

In addition, besides the fact that RIM hadn't brought out a new handset in nearly a year what's also killing them is how all the U.S. carriers no longer offer, whereas carriers in Asia and Europe do, cheaper version of data plans (e.g. social networking only) even though BB's take way less bandwidth than Android and iPhones.

On a side note, after playing with a Playbook for the first time the one thing I can say without a doubt that a fish stinks from the head down. RIM's problem isn't lack of innovation (the Playbook was really cool), its their God awful executive management that belong in a three-ring circus. They're a bunch of clowns that simple need to go.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 07-06-11 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo
    07-06-11 08:42 PM
    I would think right now the sales force would be pushing them to get the stock cleared out for the new ones.
    Well, I have been in several Verizon stores, probably 10 times in the last 2 months. People are mostly not checking out the Berries. Moreover, whenever someone does show some interest I overhear the salespeople make a negative comment 95% of the time. For a business user that knows, maybe this does not hold that much sway.

But Joe Blow consumer relies A LOT on what the salespeople say and will usually go with their suggestions.
    07-06-11 08:53 PM
    Coming from a Galaxy S owner - I think in all fairness to RIM comparing numbers of handsets running Google's OS is stacking the deck sort of speak. The real comparison should be manufacture against manufacture (ie: RIM vs SAMSUNG or RIM vs APPLE), not a handset manufacture vs. an operating system.

Also besides the fact that RIM hadn't brought out a new handset in nearly a year what's also killing them is how all the U.S. carriers no longer offer, whereas carriers in Asia and Europe do, cheaper version of data plans (e.g. social networking only) even though BB's take way less bandwidth than Android and iPhones.
    well if you stack the deck like that RIM isn't #3 they're #5 likely to be #6 very soon, HTC is BLOWING UP, doubling sales since last year billions over billions.
    comScore Reports May 2011 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - MarketWatch
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-06-11 at 08:57 PM.
    07-06-11 08:53 PM
    well if you stack the deck like that RIM isn't #3 they're #5 likely to be #6 very soon, HTC is BLOWING UP, doubling sales since last year billions over billions.
    comScore Reports May 2011 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - MarketWatch
    WOW... I am really surprised. I know they aren't doing well but I didn't know that. With that if the Bold Touch comes out with a price point over $200 being subsidized then they will be DOA.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 07-06-11 at 08:59 PM.
    07-06-11 08:57 PM
    Well, I have been in several Verizon stores, probably 10 times in the last 2 months. People are mostly not checking out the Berries. Moreover, whenever someone does show some interest I overhear the salespeople make a negative comment 95% of the time. For a business user that knows, maybe this does not hold that much sway.

But Joe Blow consumer relies A LOT on what the salespeople say and will usually go with their suggestions.
    Can't argue with you there.
    07-06-11 08:57 PM
    I am one of those you would be walking away laughing from.
    Only kinda, when a company gets me to work with their reps on the road those reps who carry a blackberry always get first dealings, AND generally get better follow up

I'll create a bbm group with a calendar and supply product knowledge and leads via the group, answer the group, the people with other devices just get the talk with me, spend the day with me and follow up is usually just a single email.

When I do business with someone I'm using the best tools at my disposal, and when communication is important those with blackberrys are the ones I will do more business with
    And that is where many people make a bad judgement call with Blackberry or BBM. BBM at heart is designed and intended for inter-office communication from within the company. That's all well and good, and does its job well for the purpose in which is was intended. But would you really sacrifice business with a potential client or partner because they didn't use a Blackberry? After all, there are secure methods of communication between various platforms. I would think that limiting communication based on your personal preference should take a back seat to what's good for the business.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 07-06-11 at 09:03 PM.
    07-06-11 09:00 PM
    WOW... I am really surprised. I know they aren't doing well but I didn't know that. With that if the Bold Touch comes out with a price point over $200 being subsidized then they will be DOA.
    exactly, if i were RIM, and knowingly putting out a phone that won't get the next OS version, and in their situation, i'd eat the cost of the phones and give them away for $100 bucks, otherwise i can't see this generation of phones selling well at all.
    07-06-11 09:00 PM
    I agree. The 9900 needs to cost no more than $200 subsidized.
    07-06-11 09:05 PM
    I forward transparently from our business domain to Gmail. Works great. No spam and configs easy with BlackBerry, but I still have the business email address. Or I can use the Gmail one.
    07-06-11 09:15 PM
    Can't argue with you there.
    Yeah and I always just want to buutt in, in those cases.

But really, the 9900 phones look great and more importantly are FAST. I think once these show up lots of consumers will be wow'ed and ask about them. The salesperson will not be able to say it's slow, or its old, or the browser is terrible, or... you get the idea.

They still will say it does not have many apps (relatively true). But honestly a significant amount of people really would like a great keyboard, great messaging, better battery life and really are not that interested in a lot of apps. If it does Facebook/Twitter and the major IM clients, they are sold.
    07-06-11 09:24 PM
    They aren't that bad,

1: US numbers only
    2: RIM ranks top 5 against ALL mobile devices, that isn't JUST smartphones, LG and samsung still make dumbphones which makes their value that much higher on the rank

RIM has 8.1 % of the 234 Million mobile phones in the US
    so that is
    approximately 19 million devices

of those 234 million 76.8 million are smartphones so RIM has
    24.7% of the smartphone market, which for a "dead company" is very respectable

IF one would extrapolate samsungs numbers they sold a little more that 58 million devices, so CLEARLY they can't all be Android.

the fun things you can do with numbers to get your point across eh oohh doom and gloom for RIM
    07-06-11 10:20 PM
    And that is where many people make a bad judgement call with Blackberry or BBM. BBM at heart is designed and intended for inter-office communication from within the company. That's all well and good, and does its job well for the purpose in which is was intended. But would you really sacrifice business with a potential client or partner because they didn't use a Blackberry? After all, there are secure methods of communication between various platforms. I would think that limiting communication based on your personal preference should take a back seat to what's good for the business.
    It is a matter of ease, and control that is freely available, and within controllable matters, fortunately of the some 400 customers I have less than 20 that are NO blackberry users so it hasn't come to the point of being too much favouritism, BUT, why should I go out of my way to make life easier for those that choose to use alternatives to the status quo?

I am not losing business, as I just divert the business to those who have the means to better communicate. there are few free easy to use, No install required tools that can do what BBM groups can do
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-06-11 10:23 PM
    I agree. The 9900 needs to cost no more than $200 subsidized.
    THAT will be how much the Carriers want to sell the phones

Carriers subsidized 400-500 off of iPhones, usually 200-300 off of Blackberry's

I would hope they Bring the 9900 in around the $250 mark on full term contract, and keep it around the $499-$549 off contract price, though I suspect it will be in the $599 off contract range, with a price tag on contract in the $250 to $300 as Carriers need to be shown the value of Blackberry's again they are less likely to heavily discount.
    07-06-11 10:26 PM
    THAT will be how much the Carriers want to sell the phones

Carriers subsidized 400-500 off of iPhones, usually 200-300 off of Blackberry's

I would hope they Bring the 9900 in around the $250 mark on full term contract, and keep it around the $499-$549 off contract price, though I suspect it will be in the $599 off contract range, with a price tag on contract in the $250 to $300 as Carriers need to be shown the value of Blackberry's again they are less likely to heavily discount.
    You make a valid point in your previous posting. However I disagree with your assessment of the price point for the U.S. market place. I will bet the pink slip to my S5 that if the Bold Touch on a two year contract in the States cost more than $200 dollars it will be DOA. Off contract is a different story.

Value with U.S. consumers on a phone being priced high won't work... Like it or not the average person will compare it to the price point of an iPhone or android phone... So being priced higher then a iPhone isn't going to be seemed as a value add move.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 07-06-11 at 10:39 PM.
    07-06-11 10:35 PM
    They aren't that bad,

1: US numbers only
    2: RIM ranks top 5 against ALL mobile devices, that isn't JUST smartphones, LG and samsung still make dumbphones which makes their value that much higher on the rank

RIM has 8.1 % of the 234 Million mobile phones in the US
    so that is
    approximately 19 million devices

of those 234 million 76.8 million are smartphones so RIM has
    24.7% of the smartphone market, which for a "dead company" is very respectable

IF one would extrapolate samsungs numbers they sold a little more that 58 million devices, so CLEARLY they can't all be Android.

the fun things you can do with numbers to get your point across eh oohh doom and gloom for RIM
    there isn't any skewing of anything really, installed userbase has no bearing on a companies future, not in this area anyway, if that were the case nokia would still be on top. growth keeps you alive
    07-06-11 11:08 PM
144 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD