It seems rim has a bbm update twice a day. With all the recent update offers-- a question comes to mind and I wonder if anyone can answer this...... The latest update, is, for example: 3MB. You are actually downloading 3MB worth or stuff. Does this replace the 3MB of the previously installed bbm or does all this crap compound and clutter up the device??
    If that's the case then maybe it's a better idea to delete the current bbm and download the new one from scratch.
    Opinions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 06:15 AM
    Can you please post the link where RIM suggests this?

12-23-09 06:18 AM
    Well, when you update, there is a notice- Do you want to replace X with Y? Well, I've only deleted the BBM and reloaded from scratch once on mine and once on my daughter's Curve. The only real difference is when you upgrade without deletion is you don't have to rebuild your contact list from a backup if you do a direct update.

12-23-09 06:19 AM
    Well, when you update, there is a notice- Do you want to replace X with Y? Well, I've only deleted the BBM and reloaded from scratch once on mine and once on my daughter's Curve. The only real difference is when you upgrade without deletion is you don't have to rebuild your contact list from a backup if you do a direct update.

Ditto this...in the past even on my old 8310 it always asked if I wanted to replace with the newer version.

I had tried the leaked version of 54 but had problems then tried to downgrade back to 33, had more problems, and ended up having to delete BBM completely then re-install. After that I haven't downloaded any of the newer ones.
    12-23-09 07:21 AM
    It seems rim has a bbm update twice a day. With all the recent update offers-- a question comes to mind and I wonder if anyone can answer this...... The latest update, is, for example: 3MB. You are actually downloading 3MB worth or stuff. Does this replace the 3MB of the previously installed bbm or does all this crap compound and clutter up the device??
    If that's the case then maybe it's a better idea to delete the current bbm and download the new one from scratch.
    Opinions?

It just replaces the old version. Its not going to take up any extra space.

And I welcome the updates! Updates usually mean improvements, even if you cant see them.
    12-23-09 07:23 AM
    What am I doing wrong? I went to BAW and received the download link which takes to the page with 5.0.0.56. This happened yesterday before the outage.
    12-23-09 07:33 AM
    And I welcome the updates! Updates usually mean improvements, even if you cant see them.
    QFT right there.

Crackberry is cranky. It's cranky like trying to drive on the road or find a parking space at the mall during the holiday season. I can't swear, or this post would be fiiiiiilled with profanities!
    12-23-09 07:35 AM
    What am I doing wrong? I went to BAW and received the download link which takes to the page with 5.0.0.56. This happened yesterday before the outage.
    go right to blackberry.com/messenger on your berry
    12-23-09 07:40 AM
    Worked. Why is there a disconnect? You should be able to do it either way. Thanks very much for your help.
    12-23-09 07:55 AM
    Can you please post the link where RIM suggests this?

App world offers the latest upgrade to products you've downloaded (ex: bbm) when they become available.

12-23-09 08:35 AM
    What am I doing wrong? I keep going to the link and I click on the mobile site one but it doesn't take me anywhere.

I've done it 3 times already
    12-23-09 08:50 AM
    Did you go to blackberry.com/messenger on your berry as suggested above? Do a battery pull and try again.
    12-23-09 09:06 AM
    how do we check which version of bbm we have??
    12-23-09 09:08 AM
    Applications>>Options>>Applications>>Core Apps
    12-23-09 09:09 AM
    Add-On instead of Core. Got a little trigger happy.
    12-23-09 09:11 AM
    Did you go to blackberry.com/messenger on your berry as suggested above? Do a battery pull and try again.
    every time I go to the site from my stock browser, it says this:

Downloads via a USB connection are not enabled for this product. Please visit our mobile download site at using the browser on your BlackBerry smartphone.

I click on the link to go the mobile site but it keeps bring me back to the same page.
    12-23-09 09:13 AM
    every time I go to the site from my stock browser, it says this:

Downloads via a USB connection are not enabled for this product. Please visit our mobile download site at using the browser on your BlackBerry smartphone.

I click on the link to go the mobile site but it keeps bring me back to the same page.
    you're doing this ON your blackberry right? Not your desktop?
    12-23-09 09:20 AM
    The OP says stock browser. Who knows? What is fido?
    12-23-09 09:46 AM
    I had no problem updating to .57, just went into BAW and clicked on my downloads, then on BBM. It said upgrade. BOOM! A little less than 2 mins and its downloaded and installing.

Side note: When updating to .55 and .56 did anyone get the message saying that "Install was unsuccessful, please try again" Because I had to download both of them twice before they would install properly.

EDIT*** Same problem with .57 "Problem with installation" So I am downloading it again. Anyone else having this problem?
    12-23-09 09:50 AM
    Yes! back up and running!!! Thank God!
    12-23-09 09:53 AM
    blackberry.com/messenger worked fine for me yesterday...
    12-23-09 09:54 AM
    blackberry.com/messenger worked fine for me yesterday...
    Ive updated two family members this morning. No issues
    12-23-09 09:56 AM
    is it me or did the bbm upgrade come with games?
    12-23-09 11:01 AM
    Ok, so I'm trying to download this through BAW and it's saying it's having problems connecting with the BAW servers....so no go there.

Then I try through the browser, and it hangs and nothing happens there either.

What am I supposed to do? I can't do the upgrade to fix this because I need to upgrade to be able to upgrade? This is pretty crappy.
    12-23-09 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD