03-28-11 05:01 AM
140 ... 23456
tools
    So you can't live without GPS. Another core functionality of smartphones now. VZNAV is also offered on most if not all platforms that VZW offers in their lineup. Super App just sounds like more of a marketing gimmick for now, but in time I can see potential for the name.

I can see it now-

Android User- Hey look, I can fly at 4G speeds, and I have widgets woohoo!
    BB User- Well I have Super Apps such as Poynt!
    Android User- Umm, I got that installed as well dude.
    BB User- Oh, um... At least the PlayBook can use any of your apps and then some!
    Kind of like Sprint "PCS"

Hey look my phone has PCS.

Wow your phone has an acronym for Personal Communications System. lol
    03-25-11 04:23 PM
    that's exactly what I was saying if you go back and check. But don't forget by summer there will be new goog phones and the ip5. I don't think verizon or anybody in NA is going to make much room for 6.1 or qnx. that ship has sailed.
    By summer. Please that over saturation of an OS comes out ever 3 months.
    03-25-11 04:26 PM
    By summer. Please that over saturation of an OS comes out ever 3 months.
    right having amazing choice is so wrong. it's better to wait every few years to see if you are going to finally get a new device that's competitive.
    03-25-11 05:00 PM
    right having amazing choice is so wrong. it's better to wait every few years to see if you are going to finally get a new device that's competitive.
    lol...ironic seeing you use a nokia c1...lol..unless you are kidding...

btw i agree with most of ur posts...lol
    03-25-11 05:17 PM
    lol...ironic seeing you use a nokia c1...lol..unless you are kidding...

btw i agree with most of ur posts...lol
    no not kidding. I also have a comet that I use too. but the Nokia really does an excellent job at...get this...being a phone!
    03-25-11 06:16 PM
    lol....some days i really wish i had my old motorolas again..lol
    03-25-11 06:22 PM
    The last thing on the companies mind should be the stock price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    hahaha...tell that to Palm and Nokia and Motorola
    03-25-11 09:32 PM
    hahaha...tell that to Palm and Nokia and Motorola
    Do you really think these companies are worrying about stock prices in the middle of an intensive launch? What they are concerned about is what will be the stock price after the dust settles. How many units will sell. What will be the opinion of their products. Hopefully focus groups give some indication of the publics reaction.

For that matter, like the prez, I'm sure they know they existing sentiment on the street, but a good ceo will stay the course. They plan the execution and execute the plan.
    03-25-11 10:27 PM
    consumers aren't that dumb. you can see from this forum that people "start" to wise up after a while.
    Consumers ARE that dumb. The average consumer IS naive, and some of those that aren't naive still ditch logic in favour of emotions. They don't really wise up, something else shiny just catches their eye. The people on the Blackberry, Android etc. forums don't accurately represent the majority of people who buy their respective products.

I admittedly haven't studied sales or marketing but I think it's widely considered/known that buying is emotional decision.

Agreed. Something doesn't have to be the best for someone to like it.

Look at Range Rovers. They are rated extremely low all around. Yet people still buy them, rappers still rap about them, and people continue to enjoy driving them.
    A poor comparison IMO. Barring reliability, Range Rovers are generally considered excellent off-road, great on-road, very luxurious and advanced technologically. Some even consider them the best all around vehicle, for good reason. Feels like I'm getting off-topic though, so I forbear.
    03-25-11 11:51 PM
    Do you really think these companies are worrying about stock prices in the middle of an intensive launch? What they are concerned about is what will be the stock price after the dust settles. How many units will sell. What will be the opinion of their products. Hopefully focus groups give some indication of the publics reaction.

For that matter, like the prez, I'm sure they know they existing sentiment on the street, but a good ceo will stay the course. They plan the execution and execute the plan.
    Oh yes, they all are very concerned about their stock prices. Any public company's first responsibility is to its shareholders, the de facto owners of those companies, specifically maximizing the value of their stake in them. The problem is that investors are showing with their checkbooks that they have no confidence in this company's current plan. Well, it's probably more like one or two guys said they had no confidence and the rest of the lemmings are doing what lemmings do. RIM did their best dog-and-pony show at the earnings call, but the Street wasn't impressed.

Somewhere along the line RIM has fallen badly out of favor with investors. I think it all goes back to their unwillingness to recognize the then-imminent threat from the iPhone before it hit the market. From everything I've been able to read up on, the driving force behind their stock's plunge today is RIM's relatively weak performance in North America and the belief that RIM will never regain its once dominant market position. Even though they gave strong guidance for their fiscal year 2012, analysts and investors seem to think that they won't be able to deliver on that guidance without very heavily investing in new technology. And even then they'll still continue to lose ground to Apple and Androids. Add to that the fact that tablet manufacturers combined are planning to build about 40% more total tablets than anyone believes can possibly be sold in the coming year, and the belief is that RIM is going to come out on the short end of that stick, too. That's not what I think, but what I think means absolutely nothing here.

I kind of understand how market share alone can outweigh all other metrics, but not to the point that RIM's stocks got hammered today, especially when the company continues to show profit growth quarter after quarter. I've got an MBA, I've taken several Finance courses along the way, and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent guy, but I still can't figure out what makes investors tick. But I am convinced that more often than not the success and failure of companies are the self-fulfilling prophecies of investors. Remember the toilet paper shortage back in the 80's? Somehow a rumor gained traction that there was going to be a shortage of toilet paper. What happened was that everybody ran out to stock up on toilet paper, and sure as sh$t inside of a few months you couldn't find toilet paper on a store shelf anywhere. That's what widespread sentiment and emotion can do to an entire business or a single company, and right now sentiment and emotion are with Android and Apple.

All we can do at this point is hope that RIM's brain trust really does know what they're doing more so than the analysts, and the path they're on will be enough to keep them healthy and relevant for the long term. It wouldn't be the first time that the analysts were wrong. If not, well, I'll be shopping for yet another brand of phone in a few years, not by choice, but by necessity.
    03-26-11 12:04 AM
    I kind of understand how market share alone can outweigh all other metrics, but not to the point that RIM's stocks got hammered today, especially when the company continues to show profit growth quarter after quarter. I've got an MBA, I've taken several Finance courses along the way, and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent guy, but I still can't figure out what makes investors tick. But I am convinced that more often than not the success and failure of companies are the self-fulfilling prophecies of investors. Remember the toilet paper shortage back in the 80's? Somehow a rumor gained traction that there was going to be a shortage of toilet paper. What happened was that everybody ran out to stock up on toilet paper, and sure as sh$t inside of a few months you couldn't find toilet paper on a store shelf anywhere. That's what widespread sentiment and emotion can do to an entire business or a single company, and right now sentiment and emotion are with Android and Apple.
    I have followed the market for years, and if I've learned one thing, it's that there is no logical connection between a stock or index movement (up or down) and the financial news that comes out. Even looking at 52 week highs and lows don't necessarily indicate where the stock will be heading.
    03-26-11 12:54 AM
    counting on the naivete of your customer does not sound like a business plan to me.
    Apple does.

03-26-11 01:13 AM
    6.5 sounds more major than 6.1. Whatever works I guess.
    I am with you on this!
    03-26-11 02:17 AM
    I still don't understand how Poynt doesn't qualify as a "super app". I agree, the definition is in the eye of the beholder. However, Poynt integrates into almost every aspect of the BB. Whether you're looking for a point of interest, or just someone's phone number, this app does it all. You can locate a movie theatre, look up show times and EVEN PURCHASE TICKETS. AND THEN, IT CAN INTEGRATE INTO YOUR VZNAV TO NAVIGATE YOU TO THE THEATRE. And all this from the main screen without exiting the app to open another. ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?!?!?!?!? Tell me again why Poynt is not a "super app"...
    03-26-11 04:47 AM
    Poynt on android does the exact same things all within the app. So i guess is a "super app" on android too. i agree its a marketing term to make it seem better than it is really
    03-26-11 05:35 AM
    I don't think rim are trying to claim nobody else has these so-called "super apps" so much as trying to somewhat dismissive of other apps such as the various webpage frontend ones.
    03-26-11 07:05 AM
    really? I guess you forgot about how Android vanquished Rimm at Verizon. That was essentially a carrier decision based on what they thought would sell best. If 6.1 doesn't measure up to whatever apple and google have out then Verizon isn't going to take much of the product. Verizon puts it's chips on Android. They could have bet on rimm. Your analysis is static, yesterday will be like today. Things change and they change really really fast in wireless.
    Actually what Verizon have actually done is put their chips on their droid-rebranding of android with their focus having been on making sure that the customer focus is on droid and vzw rather than on the likes of htc or motorola as it keeps them more in control of the customers and presumably pushes down the costs to them of this new hardware in a way that they wouldn't be able to do with apple or blackberry.
    03-26-11 07:13 AM
    Surely you have heard of Apple and Google? Let's face it BB is dying company. Unless the PB is a miracle, which I doubt they will be getting their clock cleaned by Apple and Google and the rest of the real companies out there. But for the drop BB would be the best short out there, almost a sure thing. Life lesson - don't bet against the smart money on Wall Street, they always win....
    Dying only in the minds of messageboard trolls who for some reason feel the need to come to a board that is of no interest to them in order to make negative and clue-lacking comments.

The smart money on Wall Street, that would be the bunch of morons who dumped the world into a global recession due to their idiocy would it?
    03-26-11 07:17 AM
    Almost a year ago I tried to discuss the market with the huge numbers of armchair CEOs there are on the forum. They frustrated me to the point that I left the forum and came back when the Torch launched. I don't comment any of their posts anymore. Reading a bunch of articles where one opinion or another is trotted out with a particular agenda does not make anyone an expert on economics. It takes years to master an understanding of the market. There are very few here who have such an understanding - aside from deRusett, Reed and a select few, I don't pay attention to any of their opinions. But they are hilarious to read.
    03-26-11 07:31 AM
    -Separate personal data from corporate data on the handheld
    (android and apple have both have this feature via Good technology
    Actually this is RIM's technology. Good licenses it from RIM.
    03-26-11 09:55 AM
    The company has to move ahead with its plans: as the saying goes measure twice and cut once. The last thing on the companies mind should be the stock price.
    Well it is evident now that it is not on their mind. I agree they needed to make changes now and need to market much better.
    03-26-11 10:00 AM
    A poor comparison IMO. Barring reliability, Range Rovers are generally considered excellent off-road, great on-road, very luxurious and advanced technologically. Some even consider them the best all around vehicle, for good reason. Feels like I'm getting off-topic though, so I forbear.
    My Uncle works in the car business and says they are ranked very poorly in the consumer market. He even sells them. I am going by what I have been told from a professional. I myself saw the 2010 was ranked badly last year. I have driven the newer and older models and they are very nice. I am just going by what I have heard.
    03-26-11 10:21 AM
    I have noticed a couple of folks here who dont even own blackberry devices but are still too pushy with saying how RIM sucks.

fine rim sucks, rim can eat your android or iOS phone's **** but really if RIM was that bad, then why the heck are you guys posting here? Dont tell me that yall have the freedom to say your opinion cos while we recognise that fact, we also know the difference between: saying something to contribute and saying something just to say something.

bottom line, stop saying crap if your mobile's so awesome, cos clearly, if our berries suck, we dont deserve any of that "attention" you've been giving us.
    sleepngbear and teamfoster03 like this.
    03-26-11 10:38 AM
    I have noticed a couple of folks here who dont even own blackberry devices but are still too pushy with saying how RIM sucks.

fine rim sucks, rim can eat your android or iOS phone's **** but really if RIM was that bad, then why the heck are you guys posting here? Dont tell me that yall have the freedom to say your opinion cos while we recognise that fact, we also know the difference between: saying something to contribute and saying something just to say something.

bottom line, stop saying crap if your mobile's so awesome, cos clearly, if our berries suck, we dont deserve any of that "attention" you've been giving us.
    Very well put.
    tkwolf likes this.
    03-26-11 10:45 AM
    6.5 sounds more major than 6.1. Whatever works I guess.
    But thats not how it works. There is reason for version numbers. They dont just come out of their ***.

my jaw dropped at how fast the stock
    dropped 12% while he was saying this.

I bet your jaw drops 12% faster when Steve jobs unzips his pants compared to Jim Balsillie.
    03-26-11 11:20 AM
140 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD