03-28-11 04:01 AM
140 123 ...
tools
    It hadn't been announced before, but RIM's year-end / Q4 fiscal 2011 earnings call uncovered a good bit of information surrounding BlackBerry OS 6.1. As you've likely learned by now, we weren't exactly throwing our iPhones and Droids into the nearest refuse bin after handling the Torch, and it seems as if quite a few bigwigs at RIM were equally disappointed. In response to a question about the rollout of BB OS 6.1, we were told that it would truly be a "major upgrade" over what's out there now, and rather than being an incremental update, it'll be more like "an overhaul." The company made no bones about its excitement for the release, and frankly, we're having a hard time keeping our expectations in check after listening in.
    -Engadget

One would hope...
    03-24-11 05:26 PM
    that why it's a dot one release? because it's a major overhaul?
    03-24-11 05:28 PM
    lol yeah that's kind of funny. But yeah maybe they're being conservative in their numbering systems. Don't know why I'm being optimistic when history says not to but I'll give it a go.
    03-24-11 05:30 PM
    Or it could have to do with it possibly being the only major OS update (not counting smaller stuff like carrier OS builds) for OS6 before switching to a different platform entirely...
    03-24-11 05:33 PM
    Well when you read the documents that explain what 6.1, it does seem to be a large upgrade to me. The drastic upgrades in hardware will definitely magnify the upgrades on the software too. The whole experience will definitely be better. Is it on the level of Android/iOS?....that remains to be seen.

Jim B. referenced the leaked documents several times in the earnings call. They will officially be seen at Blackberry World as we've expected but it was also stated that more info would come then today.
    03-24-11 05:37 PM
    the hardware i think more than anything will be the biggest boost for the OS
    03-24-11 05:44 PM
    6.5 sounds more major than 6.1. Whatever works I guess.
    03-24-11 05:45 PM
    Then why bother to "overhaul" it?
    Because existing devices aren't going to run QNX?
    03-24-11 05:55 PM
    Jim B in the conference call said that the carriers jaws dropped when introduceing the PB and QNX devices!!!!I'm pumped

That's right!.......he said their jaws dropped!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BlackStormRising and DAMION99 like this.
    03-24-11 06:10 PM
    Jim B in the conference call said that the carriers jaws dropped when introduceing the PB and QNX devices!!!!I'm pumped

My jaw also dropped when he said negative things about apps, as they were (and still are) promoting their "super apps".

I'm sure the QNX devices will be great. We will have to wait and see.
    03-24-11 06:19 PM

my jaw dropped at how fast the stock dropped 12% while he was saying this.
    jlspeed29 likes this.
    03-24-11 06:21 PM
    My jaw never drops at your trollish way....

anon(73368) and espresso1967 like this.
    03-24-11 07:01 PM
    So did mine as I see it as an excellent buying opprotunity...you know the whole buy low.....sell high...capitalism thing!

It must be a lonely world under your bridge!

03-24-11 07:29 PM

Nokia stocks dropped as well. And.....

Means nothing.....
    Jayden062006 likes this.
    03-24-11 07:36 PM
    Spring release......? I doubt it will be a major overhaul if it does drop in spring. Wanna believe it but....
    big_time2 likes this.
    03-24-11 07:37 PM
    My jaw also dropped when he said negative things about apps, as they were (and still are) promoting their "super apps".

I'm sure the QNX devices will be great. We will have to wait and see.
    He was defending their position as being an app company...they aren't...they are a full and complete mobile computing platform..no boundaries...

As It's been evident for months now...they are going to focus on mobile full scale computeing...they don't have to have a focus on apps...as the platform is POSIX certified...been there done that...as far as apps go....PB is a home for any and every app on the market...if it can run on Windows mobile 7,android or ios it can run on PB....

Super apps= QNX.....and no other OS out there can support the magnitude of app potential.....to everyone their own comprehension on the matter...however a bit of study on the platform should be an indicator of where they are going in direction of "super apps" ....you've seen what support they have for developers...put the two and two together.

03-24-11 07:50 PM
    He was defending their position as being an app company...they aren't...they are a full and complete mobile computing platform..no boundaries...

As It's been evident for months now...they are going to focus on mobile full scale computeing...they don't have to have a focus on apps...as the platform is POSIX certified...been there done that...as far as apps go....PB is a home for any and every app on the market...if it can run on Windows mobile 7,android or ios it can run on PB....

Super apps= QNX.....and no other OS out there can support the magnitude of app potential.....to everyone their own comprehension on the matter...however a bit of study on the platform should be an indicator of where they are going in direction of "super apps" ....you've seen what support they have for developers...put the two and two together.

I understand this, but as of right now, super apps does not equal QNX. They are saying apps like Poynt and others that are currently in BB app world running on BB OS are super apps. There is nothing super about them. Every platform has the apps they are advertising and they do the same thing.
    howarmat and K Bear like this.
    03-24-11 09:00 PM
    I understand this, but as of right now, super apps does not equal QNX. They are saying apps like Poynt and others that are currently in BB app world running on BB OS are super apps. There is nothing super about them. Every platform has the apps they are advertising and they do the same thing.
    I forgot to add in my last post..Mike L also reffered to a "super app" being an app you can't live without, that is compelling and enriches our lives to a certain degree...

With that...maybe not for yourself....but for many Poynt is just that...a super app by the definition above.

I see a super app as being that...but to a larger degree having an ecosystem/environment whithin an app.

There are many ways to see this...let's just see how it evolves!

They stated in many different ways( them being RIM) what they envision a super app...let's see how their vision unfolds...I'm sure it may take a bit until we have mature super apps!

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-24-11 at 09:09 PM.
    03-24-11 09:06 PM
    Yea it will definitely take time to make apps "super". As of right now, according to what you are saying above, I would not consider Poynt to be an app I can't live without. Apps I can't live without are email, messaging, browser, calendar and phone. All of which are core apps.

They would have to really start innovating to make these other apps something you "can't live without".
    03-24-11 09:11 PM
    Yea it will definitely take time to make apps "super". As of right now, according to what you are saying above, I would not consider Poynt to be an app I can't live without. Apps I can't live without are email, messaging, browser, calendar and phone. All of which are core apps.

They would have to really start innovating to make these other apps something you "can't live without".
    Like VZNAV. A must have app for me. Super Apps don't have to be developed by RIM.
    03-24-11 09:21 PM
    Spring, which spring? 2011, 2012 or 2013?

big_time2 likes this.
    03-24-11 09:35 PM
    Like VZNAV. A must have app for me. Super Apps don't have to be developed by RIM.
    So you can't live without GPS. Another core functionality of smartphones now. VZNAV is also offered on most if not all platforms that VZW offers in their lineup. Super App just sounds like more of a marketing gimmick for now, but in time I can see potential for the name.

I can see it now-

Android User- Hey look, I can fly at 4G speeds, and I have widgets woohoo!
    BB User- Well I have Super Apps such as Poynt!
    Android User- Umm, I got that installed as well dude.
    BB User- Oh, um... At least the PlayBook can use any of your apps and then some!
    03-24-11 09:48 PM
    Any "improvement" on any current BB device is no improvement.

RIM needs to cease development/support on any current device and completely revamp BBOS and come up with totally new hardware.
    03-24-11 09:54 PM
    Do you ever have anything constructive or meaningful to add to any topic? I mean ever? Why are you even here?

Read why the stock dropped, Mr. Hutton ... because next quarter's profits will be weak due to heavier than expected spending to launch the PlayBook. Forecast for the whole year is strong, which would be significant if Wall Street lemmings could see beyond 3 months from now. A long-term investment to them is next week.
    03-24-11 10:00 PM
    So you can't live without GPS. Another core functionality of smartphones now. VZNAV is also offered on most if not all platforms that VZW offers in their lineup. Super App just sounds like more of a marketing gimmick for now, but in time I can see potential for the name.

I can see it now-

Android User- Hey look, I can fly at 4G speeds, and I have widgets woohoo!
    BB User- Well I have Super Apps such as Poynt!
    Android User- Umm, I got that installed as well dude.
    BB User- Oh, um... At least the PlayBook can use any of your apps and then some!
    It's only on android and comes at a price, google knows your every move. It's another reason for me to stay away from android. I have google maps but don't really use it for that reason. (It's irrelavent whether you think I have a tin-foil hat on)

GPS is a core functionality, but a safe effective voice turn by turn navigation application where one doesn't have to look at the screen is hard to come by.
    Last edited by i7guy; 03-24-11 at 10:10 PM.
    03-24-11 10:05 PM
140 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD