07-02-11 04:45 PM
77 1234
tools
    ridiculous response RIM

it would have been better to be silent!
    the response looks like an Auto response on an email
    I agree. I honestly didn't think they would have made any response at all to it, as it would have been the smartest thing to do. And now that they did respond, I can't believe they chose the worse of two responses. They could have acknowledged the issues, which would have been egg in the face and not good publicity. But instead took a defensive stance which reinforces public opinion that they have some management/leadership issues.
    06-30-11 05:42 PM
    RIM's better response would have been - "Yeah ok we gonna do all the stuff that guy recommended" and stop it there.

Stock and sales would have been through the roof! Well maybe not sales ...yet!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-30-11 at 05:53 PM.
    06-30-11 05:48 PM
    Wow. They're completely doomed. With an attitude like that there is no hope. F*ck you RIM you deserve to go bankrupt as far as I'm concerned.
    yea, they should of really slated (potentially) one of their own employees by making an aggressive statement. awesome business sense that!

rather than going `lame response` what would you of said? bearing in mind they had to respond due to the letter being posted on many sites and even on google news and because of the current market view of them.
    06-30-11 05:53 PM
    The committee of directors will also propose and provide a rationale for a recommended governance structure which will include clarification of the CEO and chair roles, RIM said in the statement today. The committee will issue a report on the matter by Jan. 31, 2012."
    A report by Jan 2012? They need to have a solid direction and make the right changes now. Not file a report in 6 months. Looking at their response to the "open letter" and now this really shows that they don't get the reality of the situation. If half of what Is in that letter is accurate they need to turn things upside down and quickly. Yes they have a lot of cash on hand and are in a really good financial position. But if these BB 7 devices don't sell well and there are any delays in making the full transition to QNX, or they release QNX on overpowered hardware they are going to continue a downward spiral. They have plenty of cushion but if they truly don't get it, then it gonna be like watching a train wreck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-11 05:55 PM
    I don't think any response was warranted, nor needed.

IMHO, what they should have done was make no statement at all. Then call an open meeting with as many RIM employees they could pack in on a moment's notice, read the letter, loudly proclaim that issues such that were mentioned are unacceptable (maybe even show a bit of red-faced anger), make a big spectacle of assigning people to take action to correct the issues, kick everybody out of the meeting as if they were disgusted... Then wait for the employees to leak out the details to the public themselves (which would inevitably happen). Then follow it up by actually doing the work to correct the issues.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-30-11 at 06:04 PM.
    06-30-11 06:01 PM
    the response looks like an Auto response on an email
    +1. That was a spot-on, damn funny comment. Well done.
    06-30-11 06:06 PM
    Wow, most generic and "business-y" response ever. They basically just pulled out big numbers without even mentioning any of the issues the open-letter exposed. This sounds like something that keep on a document file then copy and paste whenever someone questions the company in any way, shape or form.
    Exactly what I was thinking. How much more generic could it have been? Seemed like a stock letter you might come across in a "Business Writing" class mixed with a bit of Politician PR spin BS.
    06-30-11 06:10 PM
    They so-called "open letter" is fake and here is why:
    1. The letter is written from an outsider perspective there is no inside info in the
    letter just the general info which has been recycled over and over again.

2. Any high level RIM employee would be aware of the fact that there isn't a single
    person responsible for developing software for the the 9530 (among others).
    there is a whole developer team behind building such software and failure to
    deliver is a failure of the developer team not a single person.

3. In the letter not a single real function or title is used the writer of the letter refers
    to what a real company exec would call a software
    -engineer as " the guy in charge of the 9530 software".

4. If the author of this letter really was a high-ranking RIM employee he would have
    mentioned the fact that RIM is already stepping up the game to make Blackberry
    more attractive for developers, the recent acquisition of TinyHippo's being a
    example of that.

5. If the situation regarding leadership and accountability really was as bad as the
    author of this letter tells it to be. RIM wouldn't have been able to get the
    Playbook out, **** they wouldn't have been able to run a big company at all.

6. The author of this letter is trying to look like a real employee an insider, by
    saying that some offices look like soviet-era government offices, mow i'm not a
    high- lever RIM employee but i can tell you for a fact that Jim and Mike are not in
    charge of the office furniture.

7. The letter in general has a journalistic tone to it, a popular style of writing a
    couple of examples: " once Again be leading the pack" and "there is no other
    way of saying this - blackberry smartphone apps suck".

8. The author of the letter has gone to great lengths to make the letter interesting
    for the greater public by putting in links to examples on youtube, sounds like a
    journalism to me and not the work of a concerned employee.

Again there is nothing new in this letter that we didn't already knew anyone who has bbeen following the news surrounding RIM could have written this letter. To me it sounds like Jonathan Geller has a Job at RIM next to being a editor, or he had a try at getting more pageviews by bashing RIM.
    Last edited by Dodger52; 06-30-11 at 06:47 PM.
    Jake Storm, Jake2826 and grover5 like this.
    06-30-11 06:39 PM
    there have been multiple reliable people here that know who wrote the letter and say it's legitimate. i also highly doubt CNBC would have invited BGR onto their network to discuss the letter without very good reason to believe it was real, he also said he has other letters, at this point there's every reason to believe it's real, i don't think anyone is debating it anymore.
    howarmat, Rooster99 and vrs626 like this.
    06-30-11 06:44 PM
    there have been multiple reliable people here that know who wrote the letter and say it's legitimate. i also highly doubt CNBC would have invited BGR onto their network to discuss the letter without very good reason to believe it was real, he also said he has other letters, at this point there's every reason to believe it's real, i don't think anyone is debating it anymore.
    Right so the writer of the letter wanted to stay anonymous in fear of reprisales by higher management but in spite of that people in the Crackberry forums know the identity of the author right......

And the fact that CNBC has invited Geller to talk doesn't say anything about the letter being authentic or fake, this is just incident journalsim being the first of the mainstream media to report, the wouldn't have had any to do any digging or check facts in that timeframe anyway.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-30-11 06:53 PM
    BGR is the ONLY RELIABLE news site for ALL things Blackberry. Jonathan Geller is one of the most honest and loyal Blackberry fanatics I know. If you don't believe in his anonymous letters you are a silly head.
    06-30-11 06:53 PM
    Right so the writer of the letter wanted to stay anonymous in fear of reprisales by higher management but in spite of that people in the Crackberry forums know the identity of the author right......

And the fact that CNBC has invited Geller to talk doesn't say anything about the letter being authentic or fake, this is just incident journalsim being the first of the mainstream media to report, the wouldn't have had any to do any digging or check facts in that timeframe anyway.
    i think maybe YOU might want to start checking facts before you speak about things you haven't the slightest clue about, there are RIM employees and developers on these forums, enough said, can you put that picture together. why are you discounting crackberry now? this isn't a new fact, there have long been RIM employees here, do your research, if they say it's legit, then that's enough for me. keep saying " i know you are but what am i"
    06-30-11 06:56 PM
    BGR is the ONLY RELIABLE news site for ALL things Blackberry. Jonathan Geller is one of the most honest and loyal Blackberry fanatics I know. If you don't believe in his anonymous letters you are a silly head.
    Umm ok........
    06-30-11 06:56 PM
    Am I the only one who finds this heroically anonymous letter fishy? Consider the rhetoric flourish at its opening, the self-aggrandizing "I have lost confidence!" Who the **** is "I"? And if you want to get someone to listen and think about a letter you are writing to and about them, it might be a better idea to not lace it with invective. Like the cracks about the droids and Iphones, and the use of the business terms "suck" and "s*#%". The letter does contain a few good suggestions, but its mostly old-gripes -- it could have been compiled from some of the more ambitious anti-RIM posts here over the last few months.

And its a letter from a purportedly loyal RIM employee who is arguing for democratization of the work flow. Yet this loyalty is demonstrated in the letter, first by leaking it to BGR, and also by the way it trashes RIM's history, personnel, products and culture. An oh, calls for the sacking of managers, gushes over rival's products and essentially tells the Leadership to be bold by replacing yourselves. A masterpiece of subtlety. And very loyal as everything RIM is covered anew in media glory. Why not throw open all the doors and have everyone in the company, from the ground up, have a say in how things are run? Think of all the spiky anonymous letters there might be! With brilliant suggestions like dumping multi-tasking and Adobe and selling Blackberries to grandmas.
    Last edited by mmcpher; 06-30-11 at 07:03 PM.
    06-30-11 07:00 PM
    i think maybe YOU might want to start checking facts before you speak about things you haven't the slightest clue about, there are RIM employees and developers on these forums, enough said, can you put that picture together. why are you discounting crackberry now? this isn't a new fact, there have long been RIM employees here, do your research, if they say it's legit, then that's enough for me. keep saying " i know you are but what am i"
    Who said they know who this is and that he is a high ranking executive?
    06-30-11 07:02 PM
    Am I the only one who finds this heoricly anonymous letter fishy? Consider the rhetoric flourish at its opening, the self-aggrandizing "I have lost confidence!" Who the **** is "I"? And if you want to get someone to listen and think about a letter you are writing to and about them, it might be a better idea to not lace it with invective. Like the cracks about the droids and Iphones, and the use of the business terms "suck" and "s*#%". The letter does contain a few good suggestions, but its mostly old-gripes -- it could have been compiled from some of the more ambitious anti-RIM posts here over the last few months.

And its a letter from a purportedly loyal RIM employee who is arguing for democratization of the work flow. Yet this loyalty is demonstrated in the letter, first by leaking it to BGR, and also by the way it trashes RIM's history, personell, products and culture. An oh, calls for the sacking of managers, gushes over rival's products and essentially tells the Leadership to be bold by replacing yourselves. A masterpiece of subtlety. And very loyal as everthing RIM is covered anew in media glory. Why not throw open all the doors and have everyone in the company, from the ground up, have a say in how things are run? Think of all the spikey anonymous letters there might be! With brilliant suggestions like dumping multi-tasking and Adobe and selling Blackberries to grandmas.
    old gripes indeed, which to date have only been answered with 'just wait and see'
    06-30-11 07:02 PM
    katiepea, which crackberry members confirmed the letter writer as being a high ranking executive in RIM?
    Jake Storm and Jake2826 like this.
    06-30-11 07:16 PM
    So even if there are RIM employee's on our beloved forums -wicht there might be-, why would they know the identity of the author?

And if you trust anonymous people who claim to know the identity of a anonymous author but don't come forward with any solid info then you, my friend, are naive.
    Last edited by Dodger52; 06-30-11 at 07:19 PM.
    Jake2826 and esqlaw like this.
    06-30-11 07:16 PM
    i'm not going to namedrop folks, do the research yourself, i'm not making it up nor do i have much reason to sit here and babysit anyone through an investigation on whether or not it's real. the fact is, is that it's real, ask around, if you don't know who are and aren't RIM employees, i'm sure you can figure that out. but ffs do more than just say prove it, because well, i don't need to, that isn't my job. there is no reason to believe it's fake, do you think RIM would have responded if they didn't think it was real? if so why don't they respond to this stuff on a daily basis. it really isn't hard to believe considering the content of the letter nothing in it is really arguable. dissect it all you want, i know the truth hurts, go to sleep tonight telling yourself the letter is fake, if you believe it's really fake then i assume you think so because it's contents are totally false, and in that case, sleep well, everything is ok in waterloo right?
    06-30-11 07:25 PM
    Technically that was profit, not revenue. Big, big difference :-)
    well revenue declines, profit declines, they are mutually inclusive and equally bad...

And I think the letter says quite a lot:

"We know we're behind the eight ball.
    We all know we look pretty stupid about how we've handled this in the past.
    We're trying to change to support the new technology direction.
    We wish we could have done it faster, but we didn't.
    We also wish the author of this letter had not floated it out there."
    Bad thing is i read that letter and i dont pick up on any sort of admissions along those lines. Not at all.

I infer "we are great, we arent sweating anything, shut up. Its all under control."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-11 07:30 PM
    i'm not going to namedrop folks, do the research yourself, i'm not making it up nor do i have much reason to sit here and babysit anyone through an investigation on whether or not it's real. the fact is, is that it's real, ask around, if you don't know who are and aren't RIM employees, i'm sure you can figure that out. but ffs do more than just say prove it, because well, i don't need to, that isn't my job. there is no reason to believe it's fake, do you think RIM would have responded if they didn't think it was real? if so why don't they respond to this stuff on a daily basis. it really isn't hard to believe considering the content of the letter nothing in it is really arguable. dissect it all you want, i know the truth hurts, go to sleep tonight telling yourself the letter is fake, if you believe it's really fake then i assume you think so because it's contents are totally false, and in that case, sleep well, everything is ok in waterloo right?
    If you read my posts yoy would have known my arguments for thinking the letter is a fraud i never said it'4s contents are totaly false your assumption is wrong that being said:

When you make claims and can't or don't want to back them up, people are going to think those claims are false and with good reason.....

Thumbs down for you....
    Last edited by Dodger52; 06-30-11 at 07:54 PM.
    06-30-11 07:44 PM
    When you make claims and can't or don't want to back them up, people are going to think those claims are false and with good reason.....

Thumbs down for you....
    i don't need to back them up, it's simply the truth, you're asking me to put peoples names out there which could lead to people losing their job, i'm not that stupid. you haven't offered up any more evidence as to it actually being fake than i have it being legitimate, and quite frankly i don't care, thumbs down all you want. denial is a lonely place.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43594094

there is simply no way RIM would have launched a response for damage control if this was illegitimate. i'm sure you have your reasons for what you've said, and i'll admit i can't prove anything, but how long will you deny it? lets be honest here, somewhere inside of you you know this letter is real, if not just wait and see i'm sure it'll all come out, BGR is going to release more letters, and if they're fake, well that's slander and RIM could easily sue him.
    Last edited by katiepea; 06-30-11 at 07:51 PM.
    06-30-11 07:45 PM
    Originally Posted by Dodger52

Thumbs down for you....
    lmao, i read a few peoples post hinting they knew the identity. Its not like there is not 3-4 threads on this. Go read them if you want your proof. thumbs down to you for being lazy
    katiepea likes this.
    06-30-11 07:48 PM
    How about a simple :

"We've read the latter and appreciate how hard it must have been for someone to write it. Obviously, they care.

So do we. Watch us over the next several months. You'll be amazed at what you see.

"The buck stops here" - and we're listening."

signed : Mike and Jim

Add some empathy. Add some emotion. Add some inspiration. Add some leadership.

- R.
    Sending around an internal memo to senior management and the board of directors with your name on it is brave and shows that you care. Anyone can write an anonymous letter to the press criticizing management; that does not deserve praise in any way.

Assuming the letter is real, whoever wrote it wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want to criticize management but want to keep their job and not face any reprocussions. They may criticize RIM for not having any leadership or inspiration but hiding being an anonymous email is not inspiring leadership either.
    06-30-11 08:13 PM
    They want to criticize management but want to keep their job and not face any reprocussions. They may criticize RIM for not having any leadership or inspiration but hiding being an anonymous email is not inspiring leadership either.
    Maybe it's because the letter wasn't written to criticize management; it was written to help save the company. I'm not sure there's a way to discuss the problems of anything without criticizing its leadership, at least indirectly.
    06-30-11 08:21 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD