03-10-11 04:42 PM
63 123
tools
    You can make that claim for any device. All devices that are password protected are secure devices until the user decides to drop the firewall of protection by allowing third party access to the device. That is why many devices on BES are blocked by IT from downloading third party apps. The user is the key to security.
    Some devices are subject to drive bys and 6 minute password cracks this is not a RIM issue. But I agree blindly agreeing to the installation of any app on any device can breed disaster. This is not a RIM specific issue either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-11 10:17 PM
    i7, you do realize that the only way to gain hack control over an iDevice is via a Jailbreak or if the device is already Jailbroken and SSH is installed and default root password isn't changed and you have network access to said iDevice, right?

When the next iOS is released and Jailbreaking is again locked out (until the next one, if they'll continue) what will people do to hack the iDevices in 6 minutes? Lol
    02-26-11 11:31 PM
    To be honest, I think it's WORSE when it happens on a BlackBerry device over an Android device. At least with Android its open source and can easily be remedied. But RIM, not an option, even after a security wipe of all 3rd party apps and PIM data, I still found JaredCo apps sending 5k+ texts a month, WITHOUT a backup.
    02-27-11 06:38 AM
    To be honest, I think it's WORSE when it happens on a BlackBerry device over an Android device. At least with Android its open source and can easily be remedied. But RIM, not an option, even after a security wipe of all 3rd party apps and PIM data, I still found JaredCo apps sending 5k+ texts a month, WITHOUT a backup.
    One of the features of the Verizon website, is that numbers can be blocked for calls and texts. This is not a device issue, it's an issue where an application provided your information to a malicous server that continues to spam your number.
    02-27-11 07:24 AM
    i7, you do realize that the only way to gain hack control over an iDevice is via a Jailbreak or if the device is already Jailbroken and SSH is installed and default root password isn't changed and you have network access to said iDevice, right?

When the next iOS is released and Jailbreaking is again locked out (until the next one, if they'll continue) what will people do to hack the iDevices in 6 minutes? Lol
    I think the iphone will take off in more secure sectors when apple figures out a way to secure the o/s from intentional modification.
    02-27-11 07:33 AM
    Agreed, RIMs fault, apples fault, Androids fault. But to me this still isn't a weakness in the device.
    This is not a device issue, it's an issue where an application provided your information to a malicous server that continues to spam your number.
    Dude..wtf do you keep saying "this is not a device issue". That's not the argument here..nor is it the what the thread is about. WE KNOW it's not a device issue..it's RIM's (as well as other platforms) issue in regards to policing the apps which get loaded onto "secure" markets/worlds.
    02-27-11 08:03 AM
    So, I'm still wondering why RIM knocked KIK off their AppWorld but they're not doing the same with all the crap from JaredCo. I'm getting a sense that it's more about competition than customer security.
    K Bear, howarmat and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-27-11 08:21 AM
    So, I'm still wondering why RIM knocked KIK off their AppWorld but they're not doing the same with all the crap from JaredCo. I'm getting a sense that it's more about competition than customer security.
    Ya..definately makes you wonder after hearing these stories about JaredCo. Although RIM does still allow Whatsapp..which is virtually identical now to BBM since it added group chat (but being cross platform makes it > BBM imo).
    02-27-11 08:23 AM
    Not to mention PingChat is still there!
    02-27-11 08:43 AM
    Dude..wtf do you keep saying "this is not a device issue". That's not the argument here..nor is it the what the thread is about. WE KNOW it's not a device issue..it's RIM's (as well as other platforms) issue in regards to policing the apps which get loaded onto "secure" markets/worlds.
    I do not know what RIM is specifically doing, but they don't seem to be doing more than the competition.

The bottom line, if you want a secure device:

- password protect and use encryption
    - don't allow a high number of password retries
    - only load "approved apps"

I don't know what the real meaning of approved apps is, but since all app world type stores could have malicious apps, use your best judgement.

Since these apps can't hack the o/s, an app that wants access to your email for malevolent purposes can't be distinguished from one that wants your email for beneficial purposed.
    02-27-11 10:02 AM
    Maybe "they" don't know about JaredCo?
    02-27-11 10:03 AM
    Agreed, RIMs fault, apples fault, Androids fault. But to me this still isn't a weakness in the device.

Lexus can build a car that may be very, very hard to hotwire and steal when locked with the windows up, but if you leave the keys in the ignition, door open and walk away from the vehicle...
    That can be said about any platform though, and most of the vulnerabilities that people make such a big deal about (when it targets other platforms besides BB) are due to the user installing/accepting certain permissions, or in general just the users fault.
    02-27-11 10:40 AM
    Maybe "they" don't know about JaredCo?
    Is there an email address one can use to directly contact App World to report JaredCo?
    02-27-11 10:56 AM
    Is there an email address one can use to directly contact App World to report JaredCo?
    I don't think so, but you keep hammering bbsuggestions@rim.com and I'm sure they'll get the point.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-11 02:08 PM
    Ya..definately makes you wonder after hearing these stories about JaredCo. Although RIM does still allow Whatsapp..which is virtually identical now to BBM since it added group chat (but being cross platform makes it > BBM imo).
    I know WhatsApp is identical, but Kik caught on QUICKLY. I couldn't believe from one day to the next how many people started posting their usernames on facebook and twitter. It rose quickly and I'm sure that was a big reason why RIM pulled it.
    02-27-11 04:48 PM
    i think RIM had a legal leg to aid with the removal of kik, they dont have leverage with whatsapp. and for the record i have tried liveprofile, kik, pingchat and said screw it and stick with gtalk. Its still more widely used that all of the others
    02-27-11 04:53 PM
    RIM's real reason for kicking KIK off their platform... it was overloading their backend network.

I think part of the contractual agreement for an app on BB is that your app cannot interfere with the quality of service for all users of the BB platform infrastructure. Shhhh, don't tell anyone... KIK could have brought the network down.
    02-27-11 09:06 PM
    haha, you cant bring RIMs network down
    02-27-11 09:08 PM
    I don't think so, but you keep hammering bbsuggestions@rim.com and I'm sure they'll get the point.
    Thank you! I will be sure to let them know.
    02-27-11 11:36 PM
    come on lets be real, RIM is not going to remove that dev. They'd take a huge hit if they'd have to remove over 4000+ apps especially with WP7 Marketplace adding 1000+ apps a month. MS Wp7 has 9000 apps ... RIM App World 20k they're not going to drop themselves to 16k when WP7 did 9k apps in 4-5mons of being out.

So is RIM going to do anything doubtful. They're pretty much damned if the do and damned if they don't.
    03-01-11 03:47 PM
    haha, you cant bring RIMs network down
    thats a joke right? unless you're not referring to BIS/Emailing/BBM/ETC
    03-01-11 03:49 PM
    Google ousts 21 malicious applications from Android Market, user handsets | BGR

Nice to see we have to do the work for them.

Why can't the employees of these companies who are responsible for those departments do the testing legwork before they let an app publish for public consumption?
    03-02-11 09:29 AM
    Google ousts 21 malicious applications from Android Market, user handsets | BGR

Nice to see we have to do the work for them.

Why can't the employees of these companies who are responsible for those departments do the testing legwork before they let an app publish for public consumption?
    Because it's "open" and they don't care until people get attacked. Open is all good and well but if this is what I make myself vulnerable to, then no thanks. I rather them become a little less "open" to protect users than to just be happy to allow any and everything on your device.
    03-02-11 09:35 AM
    I rather them become a little less "open" to protect users than to just be happy to allow any and everything on your device.
    Agreed. I'd sooner them police the Apps better than make it a free for all. To me..the "openness" I want is the freedom of customization. That to me is what I enjoy most about Android. I don't really care about how many apps are available or anything like that..I really enjoy how I can personalize my phone from one day to the next, however I like. I'm all for open..but I agree..there needs to be some level of consumer protection.
    03-02-11 09:47 AM
    Agreed. I'd sooner them police the Apps better than make it a free for all. To me..the "openness" I want is the freedom of customization. That to me is what I enjoy most about Android. I don't really care about how many apps are available or anything like that..I really enjoy how I can personalize my phone from one day to the next, however I like. I'm all for open..but I agree..there needs to be some level of consumer protection.
    Fully agree. I just wonder of the current (if any) controls that are in place and how apps are monitored. I know Apple is closed (sometimes a bit too closed) and has it's own ecosystem but this probably one of the reasons they keep it closed. I know we can slam Apple at times for "telling users what to put on their devices" but that control does offer a level of protection and quality control for the user. So that closed ecosystem should have some merit. We all need a happy medium between the "openness" of Android and the "closed" iOS platform. That way we can have more security as well has more functionality and customization.
    Rickroller likes this.
    03-02-11 09:57 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD