03-10-11 04:42 PM
63 123
tools
    One Developer Has 4300+ “Apps” in BlackBerry App World! - BerryReview

4300+ wannabe apps of nothing more then hashed up free books from one Asian developer? Give me a break! How is thiis not ripping off consumers?!?!?! Oh, but that's OK because RIM's making money off of it too I guess.

Just so you don't think I'm just ripping RIM on this, how many Apple AppStore apps are just rehases of the same $1.99 app right next to it?

So, here's the question. Why aren't these hosts policing the app submissions better? What's the matter, the guy in the basement doesn't care enough about his job anymore that he's just stamping everybody "Nice"?

Add to this that RIM just made app code signing simpler and less invasive than before and we're sure to see an influx of "pay for free" apps that everyone involved will make money off of.

What's everyone's viewpoint on this? Should the public turn a blind eye and chalk it up to free enterprise or should the individuals involved with this be expected to be held to better ethical standards? If low life individuals from other countries want to repackage free stuff and make everyone else pay for it, shouldn't we expect the companies that provide the means for them to do this to pay closer attention to this sort of crap actions?
    02-25-11 06:19 PM
    It's ridiculous and RIM should step up and do something about it. AppWorld is becoming a mess.

They also allow duplicate app names. Should Application Storefronts Allow App Name Duplication? | BlackBerry Cool For example one of my apps another developer copied the name of my app exactly and RIM had no problem approving it and when I contacted them about it they said there was nothing they could do.

They should also be denying applications that are clearly snake oil, such as memory boosters. RIM knows these apps are a scam but it gives the app credibility by RIM approving them.

Then theres apps that breach the users privacy (ie silently signing them up to mailing lists), yet RIM has no problem with that. AppWorld should be a place where users can go and feel safe downloading from. Whats the point in an approval process if all this junk gets through?
    02-25-11 06:24 PM
    It's ridiculous and RIM should step up and do something about it. AppWorld is becoming a mess.

They also allow duplicate app names. Should Application Storefronts Allow App Name Duplication? | BlackBerry Cool For example one of my apps another developer copied the name of my app exactly and RIM had no problem approving it and when I contacted them about it they said there was nothing they could do.

They should also be denying applications that are clearly snake oil, such as memory boosters. RIM knows these apps are a scam but it gives the app credibility by RIM approving them.

Then theres apps that breach the users privacy (ie silently signing them up to mailing lists), yet RIM has no problem with that. AppWorld should be a place where users can go and feel safe downloading from. Whats the point in an approval process if all this junk gets through?
    I posted just last week against another forum user here that kept harping at how unsecure other platforms are as opposed to Blackberry. Well, what good is all that security if you can just install a signed app that silently can farm all your personal data on the device? I wrote of an example of just such a possibility and was basically shut down because and I quote "It wasn't reality." Give me a break!
    02-25-11 06:28 PM
    I posted just last week against another forum user here that kept harping at how unsecure other platforms are as opposed to Blackberry. Well, what good is all that security if you can just install a signed app that silently can farm all your personal data on the device? I wrote of an example of just such a possibility and was basically shut down because and I quote "It wasn't reality." Give me a break!
    Default permissions can be a dangerous thing. Security is only as good as the user. And the average user doesnt have any idea about allowing/denying specific permissions. It is a reality and RIM should be doing something about it.
    K Bear likes this.
    02-25-11 06:35 PM
    Finally,someone posted about this. I've seen apps that are EXACTLY the same with different names.
    02-25-11 07:02 PM
    This Asian book scam happened on iTunes, took 1000's of people for 100's of dollars,
    I believe it was slashdot I read it on.
    02-25-11 07:04 PM
    This April is going to mark the 2 year mark since the launch of Blackberry App World..... it's still a mess in my opinion. RIM isn't alone though, the other app stores (Apple & Android) are a mess too but unfortunately RIM is at the bottom of the barrel.
    02-25-11 07:18 PM
    Default permissions can be a dangerous thing. Security is only as good as the user. And the average user doesnt have any idea about allowing/denying specific permissions. It is a reality and RIM should be doing something about it.
    Totally agree. And just weeding out apps that demand default permissions be reset to allow all might cut down on the total number available. I read a thread here not too long ago where someone said apps don't need all permissions set to allow, just the ones relevant to their function(s).

Kill two birds with one stone and make hunting for a quality and reasonably trustworthy app a breeze, or at least less of an ordeal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-11 07:26 PM
    you should check out the "review" for app world.....that should make you all chuckle
    02-25-11 07:44 PM
    I will agree that all app stores are a mess with having many apps be the same app just different names or even the same name. But these companies will continue these bad business practices because at the end of the day they can say "We have fill in # of apps". Apps have driven smartphone sales and because of that factor we will see more of the same.
    02-25-11 07:58 PM
    you should check out the "review" for app world.....that should make you all chuckle
    There's reviews? That's not the dating service button?

02-25-11 08:11 PM
    lmao....what was i think thinking! lol
    02-25-11 08:13 PM
    There is a huge difference between installing an untrusted app and having your phone hacked in 6 minutes.

As long as your platform(windows, mac, blackberry, ios, android) allows one to install an untrusted app, breaches can occur from rogue apps. The question becomes how likely is it? In the most far reaching scenario google could install malicous code in google maps to usurp all information on the phone without your consent. Is it possible? Sure. Likely? No.

The easiest solution, don't install unknown apps. The second easiest solution, don't grant trusted access.

The bottom line, is if I leave my Lexus running with keys in the ignition, and I am naive enough to think my car is not target, and my car gets stolen, do I blame Lexus?
    02-26-11 10:05 AM
    There is a huge difference between installing an untrusted app and having your phone hacked in 6 minutes.
    I agree..it's much more "dangerous" to install an "untrusted app" that can be silently doing damage behind your back..versus someone hacking my phone, that never leaves my side and which can be remote wiped, in 6 mins..

The easiest solution, don't install unknown apps. The second easiest solution, don't grant trusted access.
    Ummm..here's one better. Don't allow "unkown" apps into Appworld. How does an app go from "unkown" to "known"? Because user's recommend it? We all know those "reviews" are biased anyways.

And how many people are going to NOT grant trusted access? Generally..if someone downloads something from Appworld..they are going to assume it's safe AND trusted. This isn't like someone going by a back alley and some dude in a trenchcoat going "Psst..yo..you need any good apps for your phone? I gots what you need"
    howarmat likes this.
    02-26-11 10:22 AM
    I agree..it's much more "dangerous" to install an "untrusted app" that can be silently doing damage behind your back..versus someone hacking my phone, that never leaves my side and which can be remote wiped, in 6 mins..

Ummm..here's one better. Don't allow "unkown" apps into Appworld. How does an app go from "unkown" to "known"? Because user's recommend it? We all know those "reviews" are biased anyways.

And how many people are going to NOT grant trusted access? Generally..if someone downloads something from Appworld..they are going to assume it's safe AND trusted. This isn't like someone going by a back alley and some dude in a trenchcoat going "Psst..yo..you need any good apps for your phone? I gots what you need"
    Unlike iphone, which has but one place for all apps malicous or not, RIM allows installation of apps from any source including your desktop.

When secured appropriately the BB is pretty much immune from drive-bys and rogue apps. Don't secure it appropriately than it's fair game. But that doesn't mean RIM produces unsecure devices, it means RIM allows users the option.
    02-26-11 11:01 AM
    So this is basically the same exact thing that Google does for the Android market. And they allow for third party downloads, yet it is a bigger deal when it happens to Android, but it's ok for it to happen to RIM because they give options?
    K Bear and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    02-26-11 12:14 PM
    Unlike iphone, which has but one place for all apps malicous or not, RIM allows installation of apps from any source including your desktop.

When secured appropriately the BB is pretty much immune from drive-bys and rogue apps. Don't secure it appropriately than it's fair game. But that doesn't mean RIM produces unsecure devices, it means RIM allows users the option.
    We're talking specifically about AppWorld here, RIM has an approval process for all apps submitted to AW. They approve apps that steal user information without the users consent. AW should be a place where users can download apps and feel safe about it. If AW isn't secure, then what is?
    02-26-11 12:16 PM
    We're talking specifically about AppWorld here, RIM has an approval process for all apps submitted to AW. They approve apps that steal user information without the users consent. AW should be a place where users can download apps and feel safe about it. If AW isn't secure, then what is?
    I don't know how AW knows an app is malicous anymore than itunes. Do developers submit their code or do they(RIM) rely on the good faith of the developers?
    02-26-11 12:19 PM
    I would think RIM tests these apps before they are approved. If they can't figure out if certain apps are malicious or not, that is RIMs fault.
    02-26-11 12:26 PM
    I would think RIM tests these apps before they are approved. If they can't figure out if certain apps are malicious or not, that is RIMs fault.
    Agreed, RIMs fault, apples fault, Androids fault. But to me this still isn't a weakness in the device.

Lexus can build a car that may be very, very hard to hotwire and steal when locked with the windows up, but if you leave the keys in the ignition, door open and walk away from the vehicle...
    02-26-11 01:10 PM
    crapworld is what it is ,but the reviews are pathetic and the leaving pins
    etc what a load o tosh,and does anybody check them before release
    very much doubt it
    02-26-11 01:17 PM

You can make that claim for any device. All devices that are password protected are secure devices until the user decides to drop the firewall of protection by allowing third party access to the device. That is why many devices on BES are blocked by IT from downloading third party apps. The user is the key to security.
    02-26-11 05:54 PM
    Agreed, RIMs fault, apples fault, Androids fault. But to me this still isn't a weakness in the device.

Lexus can build a car that may be very, very hard to hotwire and steal when locked with the windows up, but if you leave the keys in the ignition, door open and walk away from the vehicle...
    It is not the user's fault that JaredCo apps spam a user's inbox.
    02-26-11 06:14 PM
    It is not the user's fault that JaredCo apps spam a user's inbox.
    Unfortunately, it is the users fault, because the user granted the app access. It is also RIMs fault for allowing malicious apps in AppWorld. It's the same as when that app last year caused that mess in the Market and Google had to apologize and jettison the app out of the Android Market.
    02-26-11 06:37 PM
    In an ideal world, rim would police this to all of our exact specifications and preferences. In real life...caveat emptor.

02-26-11 08:12 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD