03-30-11 06:00 PM
87 ... 234
tools
    As a knowledgeable consumer imo only the iphone 4 is dated and I would not buy one today. Its last years technology in the same way the s2 is dated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It is in no way the same as the Storm 2. But you can keep thinking this.

A knowledgable consumer can still walk away knowing the iPhone 4 will be supported for the next 1-2 years. A knowledgable consumer knows that the BB Storm is already forgotten. You can't even get OS6. OS 6.1 will be right around the corner, then QNX. How much money do you want to bet the iPhone 4 gets iOS5?
    03-30-11 02:38 PM
    It is in no way the same as the Storm 2. But you can keep thinking this.

A knowledgable consumer can still walk away knowing the iPhone 4 will be supported for the next 1-2 years. A knowledgable consumer knows that the BB Storm is already forgotten.
    Technically depends what you mean by support though... VZ (which us carriers absolutely suck at releasing updates) released updates for over a year on a device that did not have the selling popularity of some other BB devices.
    03-30-11 02:42 PM
    Technically depends what you mean by support though... VZ (which us carriers absolutely suck at releasing updates) released updates for over a year on a device that did not have the selling popularity of some other BB devices.
    I'm talking about future OS support. The Storm 2 has already reached it's full lifecycle of support. It will not go further than OS 5. The iPhone 4 is almost halfway through it's cycle, and may go all the way up to iOS 6.
    03-30-11 02:44 PM
    I'm talking about future OS support. The Storm 2 has already reached it's full lifecycle of support. It will not go further than OS 5. The iPhone 4 is almost halfway through it's cycle, and may go all the way up to iOS 6.
    That's more an issue of hardware capabilities though when considering one OS versus the other. Android has a similar problem.

If you are releasing updates to existing (supportable) OSes even though it can't run a new OS designed with newer hardware in mind, that is still support...

And again, you can point out that a ton of people claimed several OS5 devices were EOL with no OS6 support, but they got it... You're calling into question how much you like the support that is provided, not whether or not it exists. Two different things.
    03-30-11 02:45 PM
    I don't view the iphone 4 as outdated anytime soon, but we all probably have different definitions of what makes something outdated.

03-30-11 02:47 PM
    no, you name callers do that all on your own without any help from anyone. Just shows how immature people can be around here.....I think name calling went out in 3rd grade as a means to debate for most of us.
    Seriously? Reading through all your post, you seem to be the most immature person in this thread...you don't agree with someone, so you twist their words around, assume what you want, get an attitude and claim they are embarrassing themself, then end the convo...after they already ended it! As we all know, getting that nasty "last word" in is super mature and not making yourself look like a fool at all....if anyone has embarrassed themself or tried to push a BS agenda here, you are simply mistaken to think it wasn't you

03-30-11 02:48 PM
    That's more an issue of hardware capabilities though when considering one OS versus the other. Android has a similar problem.
    Basically every Android device out can run Froyo. It is up to the manufacturers to support it. I believe the G1 has had 2.3 ported to it as well.

If you are releasing updates to existing (supportable) OSes even though it can't run a new OS designed with newer hardware in mind, that is still support...

And again, you can point out that a ton of people claimed several OS5 devices were EOL with no OS6 support, but they got it... You're calling into question how much you like the support that is provided, not whether or not it exists. Two different things.
    But the Storm 2 will get nothing new, making it more and more outdated. Just like every other BB stuck on OS 5. The hardware is outdated and so is the software.

At least with the iPhone 4, the hardware may be a year old, but it will still receive future updates which provide new features. There is nothing new that RIM is adding to OS5. OS5 advancement has been done for a while.
    03-30-11 03:19 PM
    At least with the iPhone 4, the hardware may be a year old, but it will still receive future updates which provide new features. There is nothing new that RIM is adding to OS5. OS5 advancement has been done for a while.
    This is on a per OS basis, even for Apple though... If they decided to make a large enough leap in the OS (not likely for a number of reasons) that required new hardware it wouldn't work.

However they won't because they won't fragment the devices. You could argue that the OS advancements year to year would be far superior if they decided not to be conservative for the sake of fragmentation...
    03-30-11 03:50 PM
    im a little confused CX , rimm guidance wasnt including playbook earnings?
    03-30-11 05:00 PM
    They said they weren't going to release guidance for it. Just the numbers sold. One of the reasons for the drop in their share price.

03-30-11 05:45 PM
    This is on a per OS basis, even for Apple though... If they decided to make a large enough leap in the OS (not likely for a number of reasons) that required new hardware it wouldn't work.

However they won't because they won't fragment the devices. You could argue that the OS advancements year to year would be far superior if they decided not to be conservative for the sake of fragmentation...
    I can agree with that. But as of right now, we know the iPhone 4 will get iOS5, and we know the Storm wont get anything but OS5 updates. For the sake of the argument of which one is more relevant software-wise, the iPhone 4 is because at least is is getting new software. The Storm is just getting fixes to what it already has.
    03-30-11 05:51 PM
    See below. ))

They said they weren't going to release guidance for it. Just the numbers sold. One of the reasons for the drop in their share price.

03-30-11 06:00 PM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD