03-30-11 06:00 PM
87 1234
tools
    ..., and I believe the 3G has iOS4 as well.
    YEs, but it didn't run very well. It slowed my 3G to a point it was unusable.
    03-28-11 09:45 PM
    That was the experience of two friends of mine as well. It basically crippled their devices.
    03-28-11 09:53 PM
    That was the experience of two friends of mine as well. It basically crippled their devices.
    I have heard things got better for 3G users, but it is still not the best experience.

But my point remains, you still have the option to be on the latest and greatest with a device from 2008.
    03-29-11 09:17 AM
    I have heard things got better for 3G users, but it is still not the best experience.

But my point remains, you still have the option to be on the latest and greatest with a device from 2008.
    Apple might still provide legacy support on iPhones, however, they are well-known for not providing legacy support on their computers. Leopard is the last version of OS X that supports the PowerPC architecture.
    Last edited by lak611; 03-29-11 at 11:08 AM.
    03-29-11 11:01 AM

Without including the core features such as their version of "multitasking" it is purely a numbering fiction for them to claim it is actually the newest software even if you ignore how much it degrades performance.
    03-29-11 11:27 AM
    Apple might still provide legacy support on iPhones, however, they are well-known for not providing legacy support on their computers. Leopard is the last version of OS X that supports the PowerPC architecture.
    Point taken. But, I'm not worried about that. I update my computer every 2-3 years anyways.

Without including the core features such as their version of "multitasking" it is purely a numbering fiction for them to claim it is actually the newest software even if you ignore how much it degrades performance.
    Hey, it is still supported and that is all that matters. I'm not saying it is the best support, I am just saying in terms of iOS upgrades as of right now, the 3G is still relevant in the iOS 4 department.
    03-29-11 12:13 PM
    Because for Apple users, they know they will most likely get the update. The 3GS is still supported, and I believe the 3G has iOS4 as well.

The 3G came out in 2008. The same year as the 9000. The 9000 does not have OS 6, the current OS. The 3G does, with certain features removed, but it is still supported with the latest and greatest.

For people in the know, why would I buy a single core BB with OS6.1, when I know QNX devices will be out shortly after, and as far as we know, QNX requires multicore processors. You will be stuck on 6.1, when QNX is RIMs future.
    im sorry, i`ll make what i said clearer, as i wasnt in any way referring to legacy.

if you use the `dont buy item a because item b is out in x months` then you`ll never buy anything.
    why do you think people bought ipad`s at xmas? or iphones on vz? its because they need something NOW not in x months time.

and on the legacy side of things, you can only give legacy if the hardware is compatible.
    03-29-11 12:19 PM
    im sorry, i`ll make what i said clearer, as i wasnt in any way referring to legacy.

if you use the `dont buy item a because item b is out in x months` then you`ll never buy anything.
    why do you think people bought ipad`s at xmas? or iphones on vz? its because they need something NOW not in x months time.

and on the legacy side of things, you can only give legacy if the hardware is compatible.
    I understand what you are saying, but you can't make that statement for Apple. Android or BB, yes, but not for Apple. Apple is a one release per year type deal, so the iPhone isn't outdated until the next iPhone comes out. In the Apple ecosystem, other devices released are completely irrelevant until Apple creates a successor for its own platform.

And if someone needs a device, their is no point in waiting. Buy what you need an be done with it. If you find something you like better in a few months time, sell your device and buy the one you like full retail.
    03-29-11 12:48 PM
    i always laugh when i see `we know QNX phones are coming in 2012, why would we buy a 6.1 phone in 2011?`

erm why buy an iPhone4 when the iPhone5 is coming? why buy a Galaxy S when the Galaxy S2 is coming? why buy a tv now when next years will be cheaper/bigger? its a weightless arguement.
    I agree..

+1
    03-29-11 01:31 PM
    I understand what you are saying, but you can't make that statement for Apple. Android or BB, yes, but not for Apple. Apple is a one release per year type deal, so the iPhone isn't outdated until the next iPhone comes out. In the Apple ecosystem, other devices released are completely irrelevant until Apple creates a successor for its own platform.

And if someone needs a device, their is no point in waiting. Buy what you need an be done with it. If you find something you like better in a few months time, sell your device and buy the one you like full retail.
    no it can be applied to apple, your agreeing with `dont get this now, next year (lets be fair id imagine 12 months min) will be QNX.
    dont get the iPhone4 now, the iPhone5 will be out (presumably) this year. when the iPhone5 comes out, dont get that because (again working on history) the iPhone6G (yea verizon named it lol) will come out.

your agreeing you cant say `dont buy this year, better is out next year` but your trying to preclude apple from the arguement when they are the most proven `yearly release` company of them all!

way i see it, buy what YOU need when YOU need it, and yea sure look at whats `coming soon` but thats realistically for most people a 3 month timeframe, not a year.
    03-29-11 07:42 PM
    no it can be applied to apple, your agreeing with `dont get this now, next year (lets be fair id imagine 12 months min) will be QNX.
    dont get the iPhone4 now, the iPhone5 will be out (presumably) this year. when the iPhone5 comes out, dont get that because (again working on history) the iPhone6G (yea verizon named it lol) will come out.

your agreeing you cant say `dont buy this year, better is out next year` but your trying to preclude apple from the arguement when they are the most proven `yearly release` company of them all!

way i see it, buy what YOU need when YOU need it, and yea sure look at whats `coming soon` but thats realistically for most people a 3 month timeframe, not a year.
    I'm not including Apple in this argument due to the iOS ecosystem being relevant on multiple devices throughout several years. I would include RIM to that category if they were including QNX on older devices as well. I am saying 6.1 devices are single core devices. They will not be able to handle QNX. There is a huge difference. RIM stated QNX is for multi-core processors. I am also talking about people in the know.

I personally would just buy a used device or a cheaper smartphone. I save money instead of paying retail or blowing away an upgrade on a 6.1 device, and use my upgrade on QNX when it comes out. You can still get a device with everything you need, it just doesn't have to be 6.1. That is all I am saying.

If people want a 6.1 device, go for it, I am sure they will be great. I am not knocking it or anything. I would just rather invest in RIMs future OS, not a transition that will be irrelevant when QNX is out.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-29-11 at 08:05 PM.
    03-29-11 08:03 PM
    I personally would just buy a used device or a cheaper smartphone.
    i honestly do see what your saying, but buying a cheaper (or older if used) smartphone would be giving you a (potentially)lesser experience, which your saying dont get 6.1 phones because they`ll be a lesser experience than QNX phones. the arguement doesnt stand up at all.

like i say, i know what your saying, but there isnt any realistic way around it with any tech without making a compromise at some point (iOS4 runs on 3GS but no retina and a lesser camera for example).
    03-29-11 08:09 PM
    I know right. I feel the exact same way. Anywho, the new Gen BlackBerry's coming out this year have quite the leg up on current models. People should be presently surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tat doesn't really say or mean much.
    03-29-11 08:19 PM
    i honestly do see what your saying, but buying a cheaper (or older if used) smartphone would be giving you a (potentially)lesser experience, which your saying dont get 6.1 phones because they`ll be a lesser experience than QNX phones. the arguement doesnt stand up at all.

like i say, i know what your saying, but there isnt any realistic way around it with any tech without making a compromise at some point (iOS4 runs on 3GS but no retina and a lesser camera for example).
    People with a 9700 now coming toward the end of their contract can easily purchase a used 9700 and wait a little while longer. They aren't missing out on anything when you know QNX is where it's at.

See. We know the iPhone 6 is coming in a few years. But we know nothing about it so waiting for it is not logical. We already know about QNX. We already know RIM is dedicated towards it as their future OS here on out. I see what you are saying by missing out on the 6.1 features, but you wont be missing out when you save money and get something that is 10x better than 6.1.

Like you said it is all about compromise.
    03-29-11 08:26 PM
    People with a 9700 now coming toward the end of their contract can easily purchase a used 9700 and wait a little while longer. They aren't missing out on anything when you know QNX is where it's at.

See. We know the iPhone 6 is coming in a few years. But we know nothing about it so waiting for it is not logical. We already know about QNX. We already know RIM is dedicated towards it as their future OS here on out. I see what you are saying by missing out on the 6.1 features, but you wont be missing out when you save money and get something that is 10x better than 6.1.

Like you said it is all about compromise.
    exactly, theres going to be a compromise.

also QNX wont look how it does on the PlayBook when its on a phone. kevin brought up a very important thing on the iPad live roundtable, screen size, bezel real estate and `swiping` gestures are cool on a tab, but not practical on a phone in their current implementation.

also if your worried about saving money, what you`d do, is buy the iPhone5 on day1, sell it on ebay for a 160% price (lets say $499 version for $800) then use your $300 instant profit (repeat steps to increase profit lol) to subsidise your OS6.1 phone, thereby earning yourself a free phone and maybe even more! my torch cost me shipping from USA to UK and UK import taxes only, the actual cost of the phone was paid for with a day1 iphone4 32Gb sale. if i wished i could (at current ebay rate) sell my torch tomorrow and still be in over 140 ($200) profit.
    03-29-11 08:37 PM
    exactly, theres going to be a compromise.

also QNX wont look how it does on the PlayBook when its on a phone. kevin brought up a very important thing on the iPad live roundtable, screen size, bezel real estate and `swiping` gestures are cool on a tab, but not practical on a phone in their current implementation.

also if your worried about saving money, what you`d do, is buy the iPhone5 on day1, sell it on ebay for a 160% price (lets say $499 version for $800) then use your $300 instant profit (repeat steps to increase profit lol) to subsidise your OS6.1 phone, thereby earning yourself a free phone and maybe even more! my torch cost me shipping from USA to UK and UK import taxes only, the actual cost of the phone was paid for with a day1 iphone4 32Gb sale. if i wished i could (at current ebay rate) sell my torch tomorrow and still be in over 140 ($200) profit.
    That won't work on Verizon. They have the contract locked down to avoid making money on their dime. However, they will happily sell you the iphone 5 at full retail price and then you are free as a bird to do whatever you want with it.
    03-29-11 09:34 PM

The iphone 4 is already dated. Not that I'm in a hurry to get an iphone, but just saying, if I were to get one, I would wait for the iphone 5. We know it's coming.
    03-29-11 09:38 PM
    iPhone 5 won't be out until September.
    03-30-11 12:29 AM
    That won't work on Verizon. They have the contract locked down to avoid making money on their dime. However, they will happily sell you the iphone 5 at full retail price and then you are free as a bird to do whatever you want with it.
    i figured id expressed it at full retail when i said $499. thats what i meant, purchase handset only. either way i worked it out and what i sold the iPhone4 for would of paid my 18month plan and still left me with profit even if id gone that way!! but i did it handset only, sealed box etc.
    03-30-11 12:58 AM
    Oh I got confused because retail at VErizon starts at $699.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-11 06:23 AM
    Anyone notice Civic hasn't come in this thread yet? *knock on wood*
    03-30-11 07:02 AM
    younger users still do like qwerty keyboards.
    I hardly ever see any kids in USA with BBs. they are mostly all switching to IOS and Android.
    03-30-11 08:07 AM
    i always laugh when i see `we know QNX phones are coming in 2012, why would we buy a 6.1 phone in 2011?`

erm why buy an iPhone4 when the iPhone5 is coming? why buy a Galaxy S when the Galaxy S2 is coming? why buy a tv now when next years will be cheaper/bigger? its a weightless arguement.
    it's totally rational. QNX is not coming in 2012. They are coming in EARLY 2102. In fact the analysts have every right to be skeptical. he says BB 6.1 will be revolutionary enough that "everybody" will want it this summer when it finally comes out. At the same time he is telling you QNX, the super phone, is coming 9 months later. that strategy certainly is a head scratcher.

Your argument holds no water. Ip5 is not a complete departure like QNX is from BB OS. Ip5 will be evolutionary and Ip4 is so good now that people don't mind buying it knowing that a better phone is coming. People are waiting for QNX, not 6.1. We already know 6.1 is nothing special.

rimm's strategy makes no sense. and that's partly why everybody was skeptical and remain so.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 03-30-11 at 08:22 AM.
    03-30-11 08:13 AM
    I hardly ever see any kids in USA with BBs. they are mostly all switching to IOS and Android.
    Someone should quickly tell all the kids at Tyson's Corner in DC, Beverly Center in L.A., and the Village, Tribeca and uptown Manhattan that they're waaaay behind....

03-30-11 08:31 AM
    Someone should quickly tell all the kids at Tyson's Corner in DC, Beverly Center in L.A., and the Village, Tribeca and uptown Manhattan that they're waaaay behind....

no the kids in the village and Tribeca aren't using BBs. this is not 2005.
    03-30-11 08:32 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD