03-30-11 06:00 PM
87 123 ...
tools
    03-27-11 10:45 PM
    good read from both sides.
    03-27-11 10:49 PM
    In the coming weeks when there is a paradigm shift from most tech bloggers and journalists to a large degree finaly awakening to QNX as not being an in house RIM creation(I imply new os-it is 30 years of evolution), like the majority currently percieve....

Many eyes are gonna awaken to a WOW factor.....gonna be hard on some as the "heard mentality" awakens to a limitless platform...

Gonna be exciting watching the reaction to those that are skepical&ignorant! I'm gonna have to grab some pop corn and see the reactions of how other platforms have their true limitations exposed and QNX launching into unchartered teritoy!" Where all other OS's dream of becoming...yet dares not to go"peace friends

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-28-11 at 01:28 AM.
    03-27-11 11:05 PM
    edit: nevermind
    Last edited by dooodads; 03-27-11 at 11:38 PM.
    03-27-11 11:36 PM
    Good read indeed.
    03-28-11 01:22 AM
    In the coming weeks when there is a paradigm shift from most tech bloggers and journalists to a large degree finaly awakening to QNX as not being an in house RIM creation(I imply new os-it is 30 years of evolution), like the majority currently percieve....

Many eyes are gonna awaken to a WOW factor.....gonna be hard on some as the "heard mentality" awakens to a limitless platform...

Gonna be exciting watching the reaction to those that are skepical&ignorant! I'm gonna have to grab some pop corn and see the reactions of how other platforms have their true limitations exposed and QNX launching into unchartered teritoy!" Where all other OS's dream of becoming...yet dares not to go"peace friends

I wouldn't count on it. There is a pretty rabid group that has RIM as its whipping horse simply because it doesn't cater to the biggest, fastest, most badass phone segment....the ones who need to have a phone with which they can launch a nuclear assault on their unsuspecting neighbour. That segment will never be happy with anything RIM does. They regularly come out of their basements and caves to post their rants.

I'm waiting for my Bold Touch and/or Torch 2. Couldn't be happier.
    03-28-11 02:26 AM
    I don't know. iOS can multitask as well as Mac OS X does on Macs, the constraints are Apple's decision. They can revise them going forward now that the A5 is a multicore CPU.

A multicore CPU is something RIM needs because the various lightweight SDKs they use to entice developers are very high level and will need quite a bit of attention from at least one core, to run interpreted code and render graphics that are not hardware accelerated. If RIM used a single core, the entire OS would bog down and lag. Apple's doesn't have this concern, ObjectiveC is very fast and developers have to use it, and graphics rendering is already hardware accelerated, so it's unclear whether QNX and the multicore CPU will trounce iOS or just enable those SDKs to run acceptably well.

K Bear likes this.
    03-28-11 03:10 AM
    I don't know. iOS can multitask as well as Mac OS X does on Macs, the constraints are Apple's decision. They can revise them going forward now that the A5 is a multicore CPU.

A multicore CPU is something RIM needs because the various lightweight SDKs they use to entice developers are very high level and will need quite a bit of attention from at least one core, to run interpreted code and render graphics that are not hardware accelerated. If RIM used a single core, the entire OS would bog down and lag. Apple's doesn't have this concern, ObjectiveC is very fast and developers have to use it, and graphics rendering is already hardware accelerated, so it's unclear whether QNX and the multicore CPU will trounce iOS or just enable those SDKs to run acceptably well.

All o/s multi-process I don't think that is the concern. The current BlackBerry o/s probably does not know how to handle multiple cpus, but QNX will be right there in that regard.

The current BB o/s does allow the user to multi-task and has been doing that for years more so than IOS.

The o/s from a practical point of view should be able to handle the scheduling of low level processes across the v-cpus, but what will be the challenge for application programmers is to utilize the multiple cores appropriately to take advantage of the additional horsepower.
    03-28-11 07:17 AM
    I agree it is a good read. RIM is no where near where PALM was, they are going to be in the smartphone market for years to come.

Just not on top like they once were...
    03-28-11 10:26 AM
    A point that was mentioned that I never considered was that why would people bother with the QNX OS if they could just do Android? I think that's a great point and while that means some great crosses over, I'm thinking that may limit some of the overall functionality of the QNX software based on that Android is gonna be running in a sandbox. Who knows, though.

03-28-11 11:11 AM
    i always laugh when i see `we know QNX phones are coming in 2012, why would we buy a 6.1 phone in 2011?`

erm why buy an iPhone4 when the iPhone5 is coming? why buy a Galaxy S when the Galaxy S2 is coming? why buy a tv now when next years will be cheaper/bigger? its a weightless arguement.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-28-11 11:17 AM
    I agree it is a good read. RIM is no where near where PALM was, they are going to be in the smartphone market for years to come.

Just not on top like they once were...
    On top is a matter of perception!

03-28-11 11:27 AM
    i always laugh when i see `we know QNX phones are coming in 2012, why would we buy a 6.1 phone in 2011?`

erm why buy an iPhone4 when the iPhone5 is coming? why buy a Galaxy S when the Galaxy S2 is coming? why buy a tv now when next years will be cheaper/bigger? its a weightless arguement.
    I know right. I feel the exact same way. Anywho, the new Gen BlackBerry's coming out this year have quite the leg up on current models. People should be presently surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-28-11 11:34 AM
    A point that was mentioned that I never considered was that why would people bother with the QNX OS if they could just do Android? I think that's a great point and while that means some great crosses over, I'm thinking that may limit some of the overall functionality of the QNX software based on that Android is gonna be running in a sandbox. Who knows, though.

I think it's a way to get make it easy for developers to switch over initially. Think about it, an android developer puts his android app on bb app world, it does well sales wise. He sees an opportunity. He now can choose to integrate it further by developing it specifically for the QNX. More money.
    03-28-11 11:38 AM
    I consider Jean-Louis Gasse to be a very smart person and his analysis on the drama lately is spot on. He breaks down why people are reacting the way they are and it isn't unreasonable. Read his article here:

RIM: The inmates have taken over the asylum | Monday Note
    03-28-11 11:59 AM
    Here's where I think the problem with RIM is:

Remember this: All RIM has to do is defend its enterprise turf with the PlayBook and the tablet will be a success.

I have no idea what the ratio is of BES to BIS. But to me it always seems that RIM puts the BIS users on the back burner. I believe that what they need is a separate group of R&D for each group. The needs of each group differ greatly. I'm really tired of hearing about enterprise users. I'm not one and never will be one. But BlackBerry was my first smartphone and I really don't want to have to use to another one.
    03-28-11 12:13 PM

Here is my take why a dev would want to port over and this is to those that keep saying that RIM is "piggy backing" Google with the Android apps.

The thing people keep saying is that the PB is "piggy backing" on the android ecosystem when in reality it isn't. RIM is simply saying that they have the capability of running the apps from froyo. When the devs port over their apps it will run in the Blackberry app ecosystem not androids. This is where these new apps will be marketed as if it was a blackberry specific app. There will not be any indication to it being a ported app because it has now been ported into the Blackberry Appworld, and this port is taking advantage of the software (although not completely). This notion of "piggy back", "copying" is not true, if this was the case you could say the same. They are just making available the ability to port the app over, and by saying that it runs Android Apps makes a PR move instead of saying that all they are doing is porting their apps into the Blackberry ecosystem.

Once the devs are in the ecosystem they have now given themselves the ability to develop app for the QNX OS because of the amount of app upgrades that they are given (10 I think). So you enter the ecosystem for free with an app that is all ready built and then you improve that app by using the other forms of SDKs. Now you have an app in the "sandbox" and your next upgrade can be built out on a native environment. This is the real win form RIM. Get them to come over for free and they stay and start to develop native apps for free as well. The beauty in having such a flexible platform.
    03-28-11 12:23 PM
    Here's where I think the problem with RIM is:

Remember this: All RIM has to do is defend its enterprise turf with the PlayBook and the tablet will be a success.

I have no idea what the ratio is of BES to BIS. But to me it always seems that RIM puts the BIS users on the back burner. I believe that what they need is a separate group of R&D for each group. The needs of each group differ greatly. I'm really tired of hearing about enterprise users. I'm not one and never will be one. But BlackBerry was my first smartphone and I really don't want to have to use to another one.
    These articles are a bit dated.

However this one from last year states, "New BlackBerry users tend to be BIS users rather than BES by an 80/20 ratio, reflecting a big switch for RIM's market towards the consumer market."

An article from March 2009 states, "The interesting thing that many people do not know is that BIS is half of the BlackBerry users today. And growing faster than BES. The Pearl first and the other prosumer devices that RIM is pushing in the market are mostly attracting BIS users. And some BES replacement. But few new BES users."

Therefore, I would expect that the trend continued, and BIS has even more users than BES currently. However, BES provides more revenue.
    eds817 likes this.
    03-28-11 12:29 PM

Because for Apple users, they know they will most likely get the update. The 3GS is still supported, and I believe the 3G has iOS4 as well.

The 3G came out in 2008. The same year as the 9000. The 9000 does not have OS 6, the current OS. The 3G does, with certain features removed, but it is still supported with the latest and greatest.

For people in the know, why would I buy a single core BB with OS6.1, when I know QNX devices will be out shortly after, and as far as we know, QNX requires multicore processors. You will be stuck on 6.1, when QNX is RIMs future.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-28-11 at 12:38 PM.
    anon1727506 and K Bear like this.
    03-28-11 12:34 PM
    This writer seems to think younger users still like QWERTY keypads.
    Suffice to say, if the iPhone slashed the screen by a third in size vertically and substituted that third with a QWERTY-in-built keyboard, which could well single-handedly kill the BlackBerry in its tracks.

But Apple probably wont.
    He also thinks the success or failure of the Playbook will have little effect on BlackBerry smartphones.

BlackBerry is not a 'broken brand', despite analysts | ZDNet
    03-28-11 12:41 PM
    Many companies would take RIMs worst case scenario any day.
    The earnings keep on coming in, billions and billions.
    03-28-11 12:54 PM

I wish you were right. Sadly, I think the "herd" is going to spend the next three months picking PlayBook apart.

You'll see some glowing reviews, for sure.

You'll see lots of negative "too little too late" reviews.

Mostly you'll see comments along the lines of: "BlackBerry Tablet OS is wonderful. But why no native email/calendar app?" Or "Great OS, form factor too small" Or "Great OS, but QNX is too fragmented'. Or "Great OS, but where are the killer apps?"

Whereas Apple was forgiven everything it initially left out of early iOS, RIM will be raked over the coals for every little glitch reviewers can find.

I do hope I'm proved wrong!

03-28-11 01:01 PM

He also thinks the success or failure of the Playbook will have little effect on BlackBerry smartphones.

This is the most important paragraph in that clear-eyed article:

"Analysts analyse; they do not necessarily speak the truth. I take the approach, as should all of younger consumers and millennials who vaguely, if at all, know what the role of an analyst is, to take their considerations with a pinch of salt."

03-28-11 01:10 PM

younger users still do like qwerty keyboards.
    03-28-11 01:34 PM
    Many people like QWERTY keyboards, young or old. The idea of a touchscreen keyboard may be more attractive to the younger generation, but it still matters on the users preference with what is best for them.
    03-28-11 06:11 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD