05-06-11 02:17 AM
38 12
tools
    There are a lot of people out there in the world who would look at it differently. The new OS7 devices coming out are definitely an exceptional upgrade to what any current BB owner is sporting, and many consumers prefer not to be early adopters and would be content to wait for the 2nd gen QNX devices or 1st gen devices with upgraded software before they take the plunge.
    I couldn't agree more. I bought the original ipad because my son was begging me for it. Goes against everything I believe, 1st gen devices are a work in progress and need the bugs worked out.

I will more than likely grab an OS7 device as well and wait to see how QNX is at the next NE2.
    05-03-11 04:00 PM
  2. T
    Some of you people need to stop looking at your small world. We love BB's, but millions don't see it that way. And if you want Rim to be a Niche boutique manufacturer, then have it your way.
    Corporate and business customers are a "niche" market? Perhaps. Niche is okay with me.
    But if you want to stop bleeding customers, market destruction or takeover possibilities, then you have to show the world just how much of a badass you can be.
    I disagree with the doom and gloom. I doubt there are "takeover possibilities."
    This week, Rim needed to announce 3 phones, Bold Touch, Torch 2 and big screen touch only. No other model needed at all. They needed to tell the world that these phones will all be available on all carriers on May 15th. They needed to announce that these phones will be powered by QNX, Have Hi Def Cameras from and rear, loud dual speakers, HD screens, Highest possible powered processors, 1080P recording and playback and a Browser that is lightning quick and can play flash perfectly. They needed to announce that they will be feature and software rich right outta the box.
    I disagree that any of these features are necessary. In fact, I think they're ridiculous. (And I'm a consumer!)
    They needed to do this to shut up pundits, calm investors and turn the consumers crank and create a big buzz.
    I disagree. I think pundits, especially the ones that write for tech blogs, are dorks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-11 05:14 PM
  3. T
    RIM doesn't just sell phones, it sells a service. The glitz and glamor of the other platforms will fizzle, more each time there are security breaches. Even on this site there are plenty of people returning to BlackBerry, disillusioned by shortcomics of the other platforms and missing the simple elegance of BlackBerry. Besides, those 10 million consumers you mentioned who aren't buying BlackBerry probably bought other stupid, glamorous stuff like Enron stock.

Last edited by Tnis; 05-04-11 at 05:54 PM.
    05-04-11 05:47 PM
    RIM doesn't just sell phones, it sells a service. The glitz and glamor of the other platforms will fizzle, more each time there are security breaches. Even on this site there are plenty of people returning to BlackBerry, disillusioned by shortcomics of the other platforms and missing the simple elegance of BlackBerry. Besides, those 10 million consumers you mentioned who aren't buying BlackBerry probably bought other stupid, glamorous stuff like Enron stock.

I beg to differ with your "seat of the pants" assessment of the number of users switching BACK to BB phones, after trying the other brands. Study after study has shown RIM's market share slipping. from Comscore: Android Stealing RIM’s Market Share
    05-04-11 06:25 PM
    Interesting discussion. RIM might he a sinking ship just because people say it is. I mean, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I just still think Android is crude and iOS is too slick and restrictive. I really habit found anything better yet, for what I like. I really hope rim will power through.
    And I do agree it needs new leadership. Not that the two CEOs are necessarily doing a bad job, they just need to go for the sake of perception.
    05-04-11 07:05 PM
    Why would anyone buy an OS6.1 errr OS7 phone when Rim is saying their next big OS is QNX?
    I'll be getting a Bold "Touch" for the hardware. Much faster CPU and much more working memory than current BB phones, and touch added while keeping the great keyboard. Don't really care so much that it uses OS7 and not QNX. In fact OS7 has lots of polish and is compatible with previous apps. It might even be a better experience than the very first QNX phones. Just depends.
    05-04-11 07:49 PM
    Some of you people need to stop looking at your small world. We love BB's, but millions don't see it that way. And if you want Rim to be a Niche boutique manufacturer, then have it your way.

But if you want to stop bleeding customers, market destruction or takeover possibilities, then you have to show the world just how much of a badass you can be.

This week, Rim needed to announce 3 phones, Bold Touch, Torch 2 and big screen touch only. No other model needed at all. They needed to tell the world that these phones will all be available on all carriers on May 15th. They needed to announce that these phones will be powered by QNX, Have Hi Def Cameras from and rear, loud dual speakers, HD screens, Highest possible powered processors, 1080P recording and playback and a Browser that is lightning quick and can play flash perfectly. They needed to announce that they will be feature and software rich right outta the box.

They needed to do this to shut up pundits, calm investors and turn the consumers crank and create a big buzz.

Instead they announced 1 phone with no date of sale that barely outperforms my current Torch.

These two bozo's need to go.

RIM is bleeding customers in the US, but globally they are still growing,
    RIM's Shares are down, but they have the BEST earnings to stock ratio in the Tech industry, which just shows that RIM shares are grossly undervalued do to American analysts not looking favourably on a consistently performing global stock. RIM does need to recapture it's lost US customers, and achieve US growth in a double digit range from quarter to quarter, but it doesn't need to do that today, it needs to do that over the next 4 quarters which means it needs 4 news phones, 1 per quarter over the next 4 quarters to announce, launch and drive media support behind, by releasing 3 phones they would split marketing, and reviewer time on 3 devices not one device, they would find less time spent on tech blogs, reviews, less time spent on commercials, and they would have 3 models competing against eachother on the retail shelves, with releases schedules in 2-3 month intervals as the consumer bores of one model being advertised, they will get a fresh model, to sink their teeth into and maybe that is the model to entice them,

Review RIM's last 4 years and take note of growth quarters based on phone releases, and you'll see very consistent relationships.
    05-04-11 08:13 PM
    That argument would hold water 2 years ago. No longer. Stock is at $47.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The stock was $30 last year...

RIM being doomed based on the $ value of the stock doesn't work... The thing fluctuates wildly, and it isn't necessarily always based on correct estimations.
    05-04-11 08:18 PM
    RIM is bleeding customers in the US, but globally they are still growing,
    RIM's Shares are down, but they have the BEST earnings to stock ratio in the Tech industry, which just shows that RIM shares are grossly undervalued do to American analysts not looking favourably on a consistently performing global stock. RIM does need to recapture it's lost US customers, and achieve US growth in a double digit range from quarter to quarter, but it doesn't need to do that today, it needs to do that over the next 4 quarters which means it needs 4 news phones, 1 per quarter over the next 4 quarters to announce, launch and drive media support behind, by releasing 3 phones they would split marketing, and reviewer time on 3 devices not one device, they would find less time spent on tech blogs, reviews, less time spent on commercials, and they would have 3 models competing against eachother on the retail shelves, with releases schedules in 2-3 month intervals as the consumer bores of one model being advertised, they will get a fresh model, to sink their teeth into and maybe that is the model to entice them,

Review RIM's last 4 years and take note of growth quarters based on phone releases, and you'll see very consistent relationships.
    Dammit man, I hadn't thought of that. I should have, but I diddint. I mean, I wasn't overly upset that they've only announced one phone at BBW and kinda thought they should have at least mentioned the rest, but this makes sense. Keep the focus on the new flagship, pound the point home and re-energize interest in the brand. Then ride that into the next product release. Being that the Torch is the newest of the 'old gen' devices, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Torch 2 is the last of the next-gen phones to drop, especially if it's going to be another at&t exclusive.
    05-04-11 08:33 PM

For me the service is the worst part. Aside from BBM, I find Gmail/Calendar via BIS basically sucks compared to accessing the same data via EAS on an iPad.

What keeps me on a BB is the user interface. For phone calls and messaging, it is so much faster than using a touch screen device (e.g. iPhone).
    05-04-11 11:10 PM
    Mods, why are my comments being removed?

The stock was $30 last year...
    No, it was in the $70's. That means nothing. Think about it, Playbook released, software announcements and new phone introduced. Stock still sinking.

Rim is simply not doing enough to compete, although they have the platform, money, engineering and industrial capacity to be waaaayyyy out in front. This is a management issue plain and clear.
    Last edited by fabfreddie; 05-04-11 at 11:44 PM.
    05-04-11 11:13 PM
    I do agree. The management waited to long to take some risky steps. I may just be a lower lower lower level manager in my field of work, but when I 'play it safe' all quarter long, guess who has a really crappy quarter....
    05-05-11 11:31 PM
    I hope the bold touch becomes the retro style icon of the phone world, like the original audi tt was for autos( but I hope it runs better. Hehe)

05-06-11 02:17 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD