05-06-11 01:17 AM
38 12
tools
    05-02-11 08:28 PM
    I kinda really didn't think so - those are both features that QNX-powered 'superphones' are being touted for. Good to get it out there just to put it to rest anyway.
    05-02-11 08:33 PM
    i would never expect them to be. this is only happening on the PB because of QNX. OS 7 is still a stopgap OS even if it does have graphics acceleration etc. you will get some devs to jump on board maybe but many arent going to really use it to its potential.
    mechanic_joe likes this.
    05-02-11 08:33 PM
    I kinda really didn't think so - those are both features that QNX-powered 'superphones' are being touted for. Good to get it out there just to put it to rest anyway.
    My thoughts exactly. I know it's just a matter of time before someone asks.
    05-02-11 08:40 PM
    I have to admit, when people discuss these OS lifespans it feels like the devs for apps come off as really lazy to me. I don't know what level of effort is required, but it seems they are only willing to develop for something that will require one initial effort and then nothing more. At least that is how it sounds when folks discuss the likelihood of devs working on new OS offerings.

I just want to add that I am by no means saying they are, it just comes off that way in some of these discussions.
    Last edited by D_March; 05-02-11 at 08:53 PM.
    05-02-11 08:48 PM
    Did people actually think OS7 was going to support android apps?....
    05-02-11 08:55 PM
    Why would anyone buy an OS6.1 errr OS7 phone when Rim is saying their next big OS is QNX?
    mechanic_joe likes this.
    05-02-11 08:58 PM
    Why would anyone buy an OS6.1 errr OS7 phone when Rim is saying their next big OS is QNX?
    Thats why im actually thinking of hanging on to my poor little 9650 until the qnx phones come out because this new Bold does look nice but not a huge upgrade from what I have now
    05-02-11 09:05 PM
    Because OS7 looks fast and awesome to me. If I find the QNX phone to be that much better then I'll consider it when it comes out. Why buy any product if another improved version will come out in 6 to 12 months?
    05-02-11 09:07 PM
    Because I unfortunately own a Tour and it isn't that great and dying.
    05-02-11 09:18 PM
    Flash would be nice, but it's almost completely superfluous on a phone as far as I'm concerned. The possible battery drain alone would be enough to discourage me from using it anyways. Tablets are a whole different story, as they're used as multimedia powerhouses.

Android apps would also be another welcome addition, but I'm simply not that into apps. Ever since OS6 and its faster tabbed browser was released, my need for many apps was erased.

Again, these would be very nice additions, but not something I'd die for. I can wait.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-03-11 at 06:03 AM.
    05-03-11 05:55 AM
    here we go again..

its pretty simple, really
    i already love the 9900, looks great, i like all the new features and OS 7
    so why should i NOT buy it?

1 year bold touch -> QNX phones
    i had to repeat myself again : (

and it was pretty obvious we wouldnt get flash support on the OS 7 devices
    i'd love to have it, but at least we'll get it on QNX phones so w/e
    oh and "no android apps on os7" - anyone actually thought that would happen?
    05-03-11 06:00 AM
    Because their current phone is failing and they want to stick with RIM. I'm sure the OS7 phone will be good and by the time QNX is running good on phones it'll be time for upgrade again.

Yes I think if QNX phones come out mid year next year it will take at least another year to get it working like one would want. Besides even if devs don't support it I think it will still do what I want it to.
    05-03-11 07:33 AM
    because if i see something i like, and can afford it, i'll buy it. we could all wait until the "next big thing" is out, but why live that way if you don't need to?
    pbfan likes this.
    05-03-11 07:40 AM
  15. T
    "RIM: No Android Apps or Flash for BlackBerry 7"

Thankfully. Hopefully never ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 07:44 AM
  16. T
    From the article:

"To counter that perception, RIM intends to promote a range of 'under the hood' features for new OS 7 devices here at BlackBerry World, an exec told me. That includes hardware graphics acceleration, which would enable much better games and multimedia apps, as well as a range of new sensors including a compass."

How stupid! Better games and a compass? I can't believe RIM is even letting people who play games or need apps to find their cars influence and/or sway decisions that affect the platform. Those are the same people who watch the news and then blame Obama (or Bush) for America's woes, as if there weren't hundreds of other people (in Congress alone) sanctioning every bad policy.

05-03-11 08:09 AM
    Because you buy Technology TODAY, you don't buy Technology for what is coming.

I would have never got an LCD TV because LED was coming, never got a Core2Duo computer because Corei7 was coming.

There will be at least 6-12 months before we see a QNX phone in the rumour mill, let alone production, I have a Torch and I'm pretty sure I'll own an OS7 phone
    branflakes likes this.
    05-03-11 08:11 AM

I would have never got an LCD TV because LED was coming, never got a Core2Duo computer because Corei7 was coming.

There will be at least 6-12 months before we see a QNX phone in the rumour mill, let alone production, I have a Torch and I'm pretty sure I'll own an OS7 phone
    My thoughts exactly. As I posted in another thread where this exact same question was asked:
    "Because OS7 will be here when I'm ready to upgrade, and QNX won't." That's why I'll be buying an OS7 phone.

05-03-11 09:56 AM

My thoughts exactly. As I posted in another thread where this exact same question was asked:
    "Because OS7 will be here when I'm ready to upgrade, and QNX won't." That's why I'll be buying an OS7 phone.

Ditto and Ditto.

and for me....I have my last Verizon NE2 discount that comes available in 2 days and is only good for 6 months before it is gone. I might as well use it to get the best BB available at that time.
    05-03-11 10:58 AM
    Cause I have the Storm 1 and I can't take it anymore... even if it does Bridge to my PlayBook.
    05-03-11 11:17 AM
    because contracts expire and people are sick of OS5 phones. Trust me, as a Playbook owner, I want QNX now! Unfortunately, I dont want to hold on to this Storm 2 for another year. So sick of the issues running it unlocked on ATT brings. Sadly, I think I'll bite on the BB Touch (Monza) this summer/fall.
    05-03-11 12:01 PM
    There are a lot of people out there in the world who would look at it differently. The new OS7 devices coming out are definitely an exceptional upgrade to what any current BB owner is sporting, and many consumers prefer not to be early adopters and would be content to wait for the 2nd gen QNX devices or 1st gen devices with upgraded software before they take the plunge.
    05-03-11 12:50 PM
    To be honest I don't care if Flash or Android apps ever come.
    05-03-11 02:18 PM
    This is the time to test drive android. Hopefully the bionic or the LG revolution will be available by late june. So i cam throw this storm 9550 down a pipe.

05-03-11 02:28 PM
    This is the time to test drive android. Hopefully the bionic or the LG revolution will be available by late june. So i cam throw this storm 9550 down a pipe.

05-03-11 02:52 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD