06-13-11 05:05 PM
52 123
tools
    Windows Mobile isn't exactly the "state of the art" in phones right now, and if we go back to when it was that sets us back to, what , 2005?
    2009. May not be state of art, but not any better with battery now I'm sure...
    06-12-11 04:59 PM
    It's only good if BB does it, and when BB gets the same 'weaknesses' they will suddenly be features.
    Ummm... Apple does that. Look at iMessage or copy and paste etc. Do you think that iMessage just suddenly appeared to Steve Jobs in his sleep? LOL Or what about the antenna issue that had SJ is telling everyone that they're holding their phone wrong... LMAO... seriously, Apple and all their followers do that already but BBers aren't allow to defend their products or usage?
    06-12-11 05:09 PM
    You missed the point completely. I never said that Apple fanboys are any different (which is why it's sometimes really funny to read the anti Android or anti iPhone threads here because they sound exactly like those very fanboys they complain about). But the one argument that comes up over and over is battery life.

I am honestly curious about QNX and, if it means the battery life is the same as iOS or Android, how that will be defended, considering the battery life on BB is constantly brought up as the huge advantage it has over all other platforms.

Do you know how many times I have been told "well at least BB has better battery life"?
    06-12-11 05:57 PM

I am honestly curious about QNX and, if it means the battery life is the same as iOS or Android, how that will be defended, considering the battery life on BB is constantly brought up as the huge advantage it has over all other platforms.

Do you know how many times I have been told "well at least BB has better battery life"?
    I too wonder if the battery will be a moot point by that time also, buuuuttt...I anticipate at the QNX phones will run on LTE network which is better capable of utilizing the power and speed QNX can bring to the platform and if that's the case then the battery could still be very decent because again you will have the BB's ability to compress data and move it through faster and more efficiently.

The battery is dependent on how you're using your phone for.

If you BT you iPhone to iPad or PB and you're wireless and bring your iPad or PB with you everywhere and let your iPhone BT to it and another BT device you can then see what your battery life is like.

Searching for apps and downloading stuff of the web doesn't take that much power with my BB it's all the peripheral stuff attached to it at the same time as well.
    06-12-11 06:21 PM
    Very true.

I think QNX and what it will bring will be a very, very interesting time for BB users.
    06-12-11 06:56 PM
    While I think it's great that RIM is advertising the PB in their native country, I for one, have not seen a single ad in the US. I'm also someone who spends a lot of time watching focusing on advertisements. That's not good because if RIM wants to even compete with Apple or android phone makers, it has to advertise and it has to advertise BIG.

I will always believe that their marketing, advertising and PR are RIM's biggest weakness along with their resistance to change and move forward quickly (though the latter is arguable to some.)
    I'm in Australia right now awaiting the debut of the Playbook. I'm always waiting for a commercial of it to be the next one during the break between shows. It never comes. It is rumored to be coming out on the 20th yet I haven't heared a peep except the story I read about the company who is going to be selling it. They should be pumping out the commercials right now. They need to get people excited. ****, they need to get people to know what the damn thing is. No one knows what it is so I don't really expect it to do well down here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-11 07:23 PM
    I see ads all the time (US). There was one during South Park the other night. I see them at breaks on the Daily Show. I think I even saw one on a CNN break the other day.
    What about.... NBC? CBS? ABC? Fox?
    06-12-11 07:56 PM
    They better get a move on this. . . RIM's user base keeps shrinking.
    You are so right about that.

You must have read this:

RIM: Is the growth gone? | ZDNet

And it's easy to misinterpret a headline like this:

RIM Posts Rare Drop in BlackBerry Subscriber Growth | PCWorld

The "rare drop" was a "smaller" than expected increase.

In February this year they were at 35 million subscribers, but the heat of competition has intensified and they "dropped" to 43 million by early May.

BlackBerry Messenger now has 43 million active users | MY ONLINE

However, one thing is certain. If they don't get their act together soon, at this pace they could dwindle down (up?) to a paltry 60 million users before they even get QNX onto their first dual core phone. That would be tragic.
    johnenglish and lnichols like this.
    06-12-11 09:40 PM
    You are so right about that.

You must have read this:

RIM: Is the growth gone? | ZDNet

And it's easy to misinterpret a headline like this:

RIM Posts Rare Drop in BlackBerry Subscriber Growth | PCWorld

The "rare drop" was a "smaller" than expected increase.

In February this year they were at 35 million subscribers, but the heat of competition has intensified and they "dropped" to 43 million by early May.

BlackBerry Messenger now has 43 million active users | MY ONLINE

However, one thing is certain. If they don't get their act together soon, at this pace they could dwindle down (up?) to a paltry 60 million users before they even get QNX onto their first dual core phone. That would be tragic.
    Nope, didn't read any of those. But I did read this:

Mobile Opportunity: What's really wrong with BlackBerry (and what to do about it)

And this:

News Headlines

And this:

Android Dominates iPhone, BlackBerry in Market Share

Now, this could all be wrong, and RIM could report fantastic results on Thursday. But after the guidance change and Balsillie's comments, I doubt it.
    06-12-11 10:22 PM
    That quote from Balsillie in that article is comedy gold. Talk about gibberish.
    06-12-11 11:39 PM
    I thought WP7 was the new Nokia...
    06-13-11 12:14 AM
    here in the US, I see commercials for the PB about once in 2-3 months. And for the smartphones, I don't even remember when I saw it last. Not to mention that the commercials are STUPID...one that comes to mind was a chef BBM-ing pictures of broccoli or something to some other chef in the kitchen...really!?
    06-13-11 09:23 AM
    So after 20 consecutive quarters of year over year growth, they have a quarter where earnings are down (but they're still profitable) and people are saying that they're the new Nokia?
    06-13-11 09:28 AM
    here in the US, I see commercials for the PB about once in 2-3 months. And for the smartphones, I don't even remember when I saw it last. Not to mention that the commercials are STUPID...one that comes to mind was a chef BBM-ing pictures of broccoli or something to some other chef in the kitchen...really!?

Yes, RIM only bought one tv spot. You're lucky you saw it... They spend their money to advertise where it will get the most payoff. It probably has more to do with the channels you watch. Heck, my whole family is in a Gamefly commercial and we've never seen it on TV, although tons of our friends and family have
    06-13-11 11:04 AM
    you really have only seen 1-2 commercials? They have i think 3 maybe 4 different ones and i see them alot. the different news channels play them often here (cnbc, headlinenews) and i see it on various other channels (nbc, fox, abc, TNT, USA) quite often too
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    06-13-11 11:14 AM
    Yes, RIM only bought one tv spot. You're lucky you saw it... They spend their money to advertise where it will get the most payoff. It probably has more to do with the channels you watch. Heck, my whole family is in a Gamefly commercial and we've never seen it on TV, although tons of our friends and family have
    They would be better off spending their money to advertise everywhere.
    06-13-11 11:24 AM
    That quote from Balsillie in that article is comedy gold. Talk about gibberish.
    Yeh about as funny as your Messiah Jobs and the stuff he comes out with ie it just works....WTF???...some hilarious crap comes out of his mouth at the best of times

But joking aside...i think the guys in charge of RIM Lazirdus or however you spell his name and Balsillie arent doing a very good job of taking RIM forward....i just dont get why RIM are so slow off the starting line when it comes to new hardware and better software.
    06-13-11 11:33 AM
    you really have only seen 1-2 commercials? They have i think 3 maybe 4 different ones and i see them alot. the different news channels play them often here (cnbc, headlinenews) and i see it on various other channels (nbc, fox, abc, TNT, USA) quite often too
    Yep. I see them so often that I always have "Flash" from Queen stuck in my head most of the day.
    thecoach1999 likes this.
    06-13-11 11:43 AM
    Yeh about as funny as your Messiah Jobs and the stuff he comes out with ie it just works....WTF???...some hilarious crap comes out of his mouth at the best of times

But joking aside...i think the guys in charge of RIM Lazirdus or however you spell his name and Balsillie arent doing a very good job of taking RIM forward....i just dont get why RIM are so slow off the starting line when it comes to new hardware and better software.
    For the last time - I have owned phones from BB to iPhone - I don't think Steve Jobs is a messiah. I don't believe in a messiah at all. I live for me, not for some imaginary being. Just because someone owns an iPhone doesn't make them a blind fanboy. I am every bit as critical of BB and Android weaknesses as I am of Apple. It's just that for me right now, Apple devices have less weaknesses for MY needs than BB or Android.

Enough already with the childish messiah garbage.

They have been pimping the **** out of the PB during the Cup playoffs though, although since American's don't watch real sports they won't see it heh.
    06-13-11 12:29 PM
    For the last time - I have owned phones from BB to iPhone - I don't think Steve Jobs is a messiah. I don't believe in a messiah at all. I live for me, not for some imaginary being. Just because someone owns an iPhone doesn't make them a blind fanboy. I am every bit as critical of BB and Android weaknesses as I am of Apple. It's just that for me right now, Apple devices have less weaknesses for MY needs than BB or Android.

Enough already with the childish messiah garbage.

They have been pimping the **** out of the PB during the Cup playoffs though, although since American's don't watch real sports they won't see it heh.
    LOL my dear take it easy...i was joking in case you missed my joking aside comment

Like i said in my post, i think the CEO's of RIM at the moment are holding them back...
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-13-11 01:36 PM
    What about.... NBC? CBS? ABC? Fox?
    I do not watch the larger broadcast networks.
    06-13-11 02:46 PM
    They would be better off spending their money to advertise everywhere.
    They are targeting the ad spend to reach early adopters on the PlayBook. It is very expensive to buy ad time on the broader networks. Once the PlayBook is more mature and RIM gets the new phones out I think you WILL see ads in more places.
    06-13-11 02:53 PM
    They are targeting the ad spend to reach early adopters on the PlayBook. It is very expensive to buy ad time on the broader networks. Once the PlayBook is more mature and RIM gets the new phones out I think you WILL see ads in more places.
    I understand what they are doing, I just disagree with it. Though, this is merely because they shipped an unfinished product. So that's really where they blame lies.
    06-13-11 03:11 PM
    This is what I am expecting here, too. Or at least, I am hoping that there will be some more ads. I've seen a torch commercial the other day, and that was, sorry, rather bad. Completely doing it the "cool thing"-way and no real facts of what the phone can do. So what interests me is what the commercials some of you were talking about are like (US/CAN, ...): informative, trying to mediate that BB is a cool thing or simply stupid? I mean from my point of view it could be very easy for RIM to seperate themselves from Apple and Android. They provide outstanding features with the playbook like unrestricted internet-experience, safety and quality and so on. Simply saying "hey, this is a cool and stylish thing, too" won't be enaugh. This, at least at the moment, is Apple-territory. For me it looks like both companies are acting in the opposite way: Apple adding (not really) new features, but having Steve Jobs saying "It's amazing!" a million times and RIM trying to develop really unique features but telling no one .

Great discussion so far!

And, to say something positive: I absolutely like RIMs way of perfecionism. Every single thing on my Bold seems to be right and fully thought through (I mean just think of this BB-Case-magnet thing. I mean how brilliant is that??). The PB therefor was the first Tablet that really showed me why I could need one.
    06-13-11 03:24 PM
    Yep. I see them so often that I always have "Flash" from Queen stuck in my head most of the day.
    And then they have both the Thor and the X-Men commercials too. I believe there are a couple varieties of the flash one.
    06-13-11 03:53 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD