07-02-11 03:45 AM
114 ... 345
tools
    You should check your history. During the iPhone's first year, all it had was the web and web apps. Developers weren't interested.
    I can confirm that. Customers didn't care either. They wanted native apps.

Sadly, Palm went down the same damn road and did not learn from Apple's mistake. As a result, the first year of webOS was marked by some really weak web-based apps, and I don't think the platform ever recovered under Palm's rule. By the time they came out with their native SDK, it was too little too late.

RIM is cruising to make this a threepeat.... It's a sad day when competitors cannot even learn from Apple's mistakes.
    xandermac likes this.
    06-30-11 08:34 PM
    I agree that the apps ecosystem is a large part of what draws consumers to a device. To say that the apps will come after the market share of the device increases is backwards. What reason do people have to buy the device if the only thing you can do on it is surf the web? Might as well just use your phone or laptop. I do get the point about a well-designed browser though. But because the browsers of the competition aren't terrible (I don't know if they're better or worse than the one on the playbook), a good browser is only a plus, not a draw. People want a reasonably good browser AND apps, not either or.

Also, I personally don't own a blackberry or a playbook, but I lurk around this forum to stay abreast of what's going on with them just in case I may want to purchase one of their devices in the future. Why are there so many RIM-doubters here? This is a blackberry forum after all. Just seems weird to me. Cheer up, guys! Things may not be looking great for RIM, but there's still time for them to get back on course.
    06-30-11 08:47 PM
    Like I said RIM has to bribe developers like Jobs did.
    06-30-11 08:58 PM
    Oh i would say fear of termination and a lawsuit for libel is a good reason to stay anonymous.
    Agreed, but anyone can post a letter and say they are an employee. There is no way to prove the letter is true or false.

There are industries that, were a whistle blower identified himself, he would be lucky to survive. The teamsters come to mind.
    Hopefully Rim doesn't feel the need to pull a Jimmy Hoffa. That is a bit extreme.

This person even mentioned a single position in detail (developer for the discontinued 9530). Imagine this whistle blower ending with "sincerely, john doe." .... what kind of hostility do you think john doe would encounter the next morning at work?
    Probably have his tires slashed by the CEO, but he would have the respect of his co-workers.

Are you employed? post a letter with all your local papers talking about how irrelevant, worthless and in some cases, incompetent your coworkers and bosses are and sign your name at the bottom.

Then go to work the next day.

Let us know how that works for you.
    Hopefully that's not a shot, as I have not confronted anyone on these boards. And I've worked longer than most have been around, but that's irrelevant.

I am fully aware that speaking one's mind about an employer will probably lead to termination no matter how truthful the statement is, but is the letter truthful? And what proof do we have.

As I stated, people can believe what they want. For myself personally, unless this person wants to stand behind his accusations and identify himself, it's just another person writing on a chithouse wall.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-30-11 09:00 PM
    I love this guy, He echos everything I believe. RIM & users clinging onto Flash because it's all they have....
    Riiiight - flash is the ONLY thing BB's or PB have. Are you drunk? Thats like saying ipad users cling to... well... whatever it is they cling to because thats all they have. Like Flash...er true multi-tasking... er complete integration with my smartphone... er hdmi without some ridiculious proprietary dongle... guess not.

"5) Need for serious marketing punch to create end user desire

25 million iPad users don’t care that it doesn’t have Flash or true multitasking, so why make that a focus in our campaigns? I’ll answer that for you: it’s because that’s all that differentiates our products and its lazy marketing. I’ve never seen someone buy product B because it has something product A doesn’t have. People buy product B because they want and lust after product B."
    No ****? Person A wants product A because it has attribute A and doesnt buy product B because it doesnt have attribute A. Your quote is mind numbingly idiotic.

EDIT: For the record - was not flaming you just pointing out the absurdity of the quote - whoever said it.
    Last edited by mjs416; 06-30-11 at 09:50 PM.
    06-30-11 09:08 PM
    As I stated, people can believe what they want. For myself personally, unless this person wants to stand behind his accusations and identify himself, it's just another person writing on a chithouse wall.
    Nevermind that in this case, the "writing" triggered a 330 word response in a matter of hours.
    06-30-11 10:04 PM
    I don't get why people doubt the letter as true or false. It's irrelevant really as it highlights some very REAL issues with RIM.

Now, very possible it's an ellaborate PR scheme by RIM itself, but even that would be doubtful - RIM - or rather its co-CEOs aren't that clever.

Regardless, all is not well inside the walls of RIM, and it's too bad it has come to this for them to wake up. Maybe they have a chance to avoid the Palm and Nokia demise, but time isnt standing still if they chose to ignore the cries.
    06-30-11 10:52 PM
    Believe it or not they are still plenty of people who swear by BBM and have no idea what QNX is. But the Bold 9700 is almost 2 years old. (sorry 9780 is a joke). When its time to replace a phone (contract is up) there is no new blackberry to buy. Thus everyone buys an android phone now. (If you want an Iphone you have long ditched BB).
    I don't think the 9780 is a joke. I have both a 9780 and a 9700. I am too scared to upgrade the 9700 to BB OS 6 because RIM didn't put enough memory in it.
    07-01-11 03:00 PM
  9. T
    OH wow thanks - never would have guessed that- are there really so many dishonest opinions that this has become an acronym? wow. I guess i can believe that - I just didn't know dishonest opinions were so commonplace and accepted that they had to be differentiated...

"umm wait a minute, before I respond to what you say, is that your HONEST opinion or is it your DISHONEST opinion?"

wow just wow.

Are you sure it's not "in my homie's opinion"? that would be a cool way to avoid accounting for what you said... I should use that when I get banned ...everything is prefaced with IMHO

Oh, that wasn't MY opinion it was my Homie's opinion!

In my not-so-humble opinion, it means "in my humble opinion."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 04:26 PM
    RIM did try quite a few different things - the Storm's screen/keyboard or the 7XXX's suretype keyboard for example, but those innovations never really caught on. I think that RIM believed that its customers required physical keyboards. I am sure that this is what RIM's customer's said over and over again in feedback. So, it took a while to realize that this was not so. Again, in retrospect it was clearly a mistake.
    I don't think it was a mistake for RIM to think its customers required physical keyboards. BB OS was designed with physical keyboards in mind and outside of messsaging and email, the OS is really not a compelling platform. Stuffing it onto a touch screen slab did not make for a compelling iPhone competitor. The web browser still sucked and the media features weren't too wonderful either.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the traditional BB's keyboard centric form factor and the browser is not complete crap anymore either. RIM's key problems are the expense of BES, the general crappiness of BIS and the poor app catalog.
    07-01-11 04:46 PM
    I don't think it was a mistake for RIM to think its customers required physical keyboards. BB OS was designed with physical keyboards in mind and outside of messsaging and email, the OS is really not a compelling platform. Stuffing it onto a touch screen slab did not make for a compelling iPhone competitor. The web browser still sucked and the media features weren't too wonderful either.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the traditional BB's keyboard centric form factor and the browser is not complete crap anymore either. RIM's key problems are the expense of BES, the general crappiness of BIS and the poor app catalog.
    I mostly agree...
    07-01-11 06:04 PM
    Anyone who really likes Blackberry could have written this letter (except for the company internal observations) a ton of us have felt this way for years.

I'm very surprised how stubborn they've been all this time, they have be very careful or they just might end up like Nokia who eventually just faded out of North America...
    07-01-11 09:35 PM
    In my opinion, I think the Fact that RIM takes so long to releases a new phone kind of turns a lot of people off and make them want to see what other phones are out there.*

The Bold 9900, while it does look pretty good, looks tooooo much like the 9000 I had, and still have laying around from how many years ago? Overall design wise, it seems like they took a step backwards. Sure they made it faster and flashier, but it still looks like a phone they had out years ago. Almost exactly. No matter how good the form factor was/is, that's no excuse for no imagination in redesigning the latest model years later.*

Off Topic, what's the latest on the Storm 3?

Again, just opinions here.*
    07-02-11 12:23 AM
    I don't think the 9780 is a joke. I have both a 9780 and a 9700. I am too scared to upgrade the 9700 to BB OS 6 because RIM didn't put enough memory in it.
    Running OS6 on My 9700 for months, no problems, maybe that will help you
    07-02-11 03:45 AM
114 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD